1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Questions for Carbine Studios?

Discussion in 'Community News' started by Zap-Robo, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I think I can answer those for you:
    1. They aim to have 100 hours of content before reaching the elder game.
    2. I think we can assume Nexus is the only planet we will be playing on. I can imagine we visit another planet in an expansion.

2. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

1. Wow that's a ton of content! They said they make a square km of content every eight weeks... multiply that by six teams and they're making 39 sq km of game space a year... (this could be completely wrong, but it seems right... I'm incredibly bad at maths.)

2. That's kind of how I saw it evolving, honestly. It just felt awfully presumptuous and a little rude to ask what they were doing for expansion content when the game hasn't even released haha.

3. Thank you for the quote!

--I watched the GT videos again last night and it got me thinking a lot about how they plan on implementing solo play quest structures into the game. This came up after Jeremy Gaffney mentioned that they were working on implementing continued single player story content every 6-8 weeks after launch. This intrigued me for a number of reasons.

1. Does this mean that raids are not as story-centric as they are in other games such as WoW or Rift? If not, this would explain why Gaffney and others seem prone to call end-game content Elden Games which implies a sort of an olympic quality to the proceedings. This leads me to....

2. Is the philosophy of raiding changing in WildStar? meaning: Raiding takes up a hefty chunk of end-game content in other MMOs. Is it safe to assume that WildStar is deemphasizing the raiding game in favor of a more "do what you want" sensibility that we see in other games such as Guild Wars 2?

If single player quest lines do in fact become the new way that Carbine proposes to push story forward, I wonder about the scope of these proceedings and whether or not it will end up feeling kind of lame. Gaffney seemed to imply that while raiding, there was not time for the players to absorb story yet... this has never been a problem for me in the past (and I lead the raids!). Is this a complaint that people have had about raiding in the past?

3. And while I know you haven't revealed everything about the houses, I have to know whether or not there are bookshelves in the game! The single most rewarding part of Skyrim for me was filling up all my bookshelves with rare tomes. Can we expect to run across collectible books across the land or is everything in e-book form? :p

I need my scientist to have his legs kicked up, surrounded by leather bound books in a room that smells of rich mahogany.

4. I have heard the bit about the decidedly tweet-sized quest text (actually one of the first things that got me really interested in the game) and while I *love* the idea, I wonder how we can expect to receive important lore dumps. There are three options I see here...

4a. Lore is presented in a stripped down fashion, creating a sort of skeleton history that doesn't feel the need to get super technical

4b. Lore is fleshed out through tiny bits through a plethora of means whether it be through flavor text on an item, scrawlings on ancient elden tombs, etc. I wonder about the ability of this method to create a sense of cogent story progression if we're getting information piecemeal.

4c. Other objects across the world show the history through elongated bits of text that tell of the history of wildstar, leaving it up to the players to run across and find.

Undoubtedly, none of these will be correct and there will be some incredible fourth option that makes me slap my head and yell "of course!"

Okay, that's all. (I am like a mason with these walls of text)
  3. snappyllama

snappyllama Cupcake

1. What types of non-raid endgame activites do you have planned? I LOVE raiding, but I need a reason to log in on non-raid days when I'm at endgame. Leveling an alt doesn't count; ahem SWTOR - I'm looking at you.
    • Rep Grinds
    • Achievement Hunting
    • World Events
    • Mini-games
    • Collecting items
    • Gear tokens that can be farmed
    • Exploration rewards
    2. Why did you decide to pick me to beta-test <wink>?
  4. Phiqu

Phiqu Cupcake-About-Town

I have only one.
    Will we get a third playable faction at launch?
  5. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

In essence there is a third faction already. We have the Exiles and Dominion, both are playable. The third faction are the Eldan. This faction is not playable or know much about. It's your main task to find out what happened to them. Maybe they become playable in the future, but not at release.
  6. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Maybe Nexus is just their science lab, and in the original game, we learn how to find their origin .. or clues to where to go look, which then leads on to the next planet in the next expansion. The series could go on for years that way, planting a new Eldan planet on the map every year :geek:)
  7. SirRobin

SirRobin Cupcake-About-Town

I pondered playable factions in TOR as well. While BioWare aligned Bounty Hunters and Smugglers with the Empire or Republic, I just never saw them that way. I always felt that they should be part of a quasi-faction and be able to cross back and forth between the two main factions depending on the player's decisions during their class story and their faction standing. Confining players to one factions per character always seemed a bit too restrictive to me.
    SiegaPlays likes this.
  8. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

It would be nice if faction was 'fluid', like EQ or EvE, where it's something in the backround effecting your game in little ways like which towns you can go to without the guards beating on you, how much tax they take off for the AH or vendoring items to even how certain mobs reacted to you...
  9. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

Something I was considering while watching a GW2 livestream: with a large amount of enemy AoE, it's going to be much easier to bait strong enemies into attacking other players. Have you guys taken this into account and/or is there a way you're combating this? I for one don't mind a little griefing now and then (it makes MMOs unique!) but too much and we're looking at a lot of people being angry.
  10. WildZhen

WildZhen Cupcake-About-Town

I think it might be a lil bit different than guild wars 2 in that regard pseudo, it will be more like wow imo you won't be able to bait enemy on someone else unless he does produce some sort of aggro on the mob even then your initial aggro will be higher but then again it depends how the threat mechanic will work in Wild star.

Now to come back to my questions, So far everyone did ask dev about the game (good question btw guys) but none about the dev (lol):

1)What would be your best games of all time (top five)
    2)Did the idea of wildstar had a lil inspiration from Firefly? Who came up with it (The answer can't be the team lol)
    3)What do you guys think of Guild wars 2 (not sure that one will go through)?
    4) What game are you playing at the moment or was the last one you played ?
    5) What is your favorite music band (top five)
    6) Granok,Human or Aurin what's your choice?
    7) Jedi or Sith ?
    8) What movie are you waiting for?

Well it's all I have for now okay two are about the game but hey I'm sorry I already live in the Wild Star universe.
  11. Evgen88

Evgen88 Cupcake-About-Town

One thing I've been curious about.
    The vendors, and travel points/roads that can be built, will these be something the other faction can destroy? Will they have a time limit? otherwise I can see a world filled with them, or a world where after a couple weeks, no more can be built.
  12. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Yes, they will have an upkeep.
  13. Phiqu

Phiqu Cupcake-About-Town

Had or have Aurin 2 kinds of ears? They have her animal ears. On the concept art and the blur cinematic they have earrings but ... somewhere must these are fixed. And the animal ears look like that these are going direct in the head and not to the side (head).
  14. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not quite sure what your asking, but if it's will Aurins have more than one type of ear (bunny/cat = examples only) then the answer is yes.:)
  15. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Yep with you on that one I think I read in another post that customization of the Aurin race would be possible with different Aurin head styles. Makes sense that they allow that too as some players will want to be Full Aurin wheras others may prefer a more subtle Aurin appearance. We also saw the 'Lion' style people at the battle of Galeras, so Im figuring (using no science at all) that Dominion will have a variety of races too.

Im guessing Carbine are ramping up for a bigger info release as we approach Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas as they seem to be well focused on the holidays.

If we estimate Beta around Q2 of 2013 then we could hope to see some more on the Dominion real soon (Halloween seems appropriate for the 'bad' guys). Personally Im hoping for a 'flipside' cinematic of three Dominion characters (Like Sarge, Buck and Liara) with three successive weekly interviews with the Dominion characters, but there again I did hope SWG would never end :cry:
    Far as I can see as a minimum we still need info on;
    Crafting
    Housing (more details on how its going to work)
    Path combinations
    Skills and abilities
    Creatures
    Lore (at least more background but maybe included in other subjects)
  16. Phiqu

Phiqu Cupcake-About-Town

*hmpf* jep jep my english ^^'' my question was if Aurin have 2 kind of ears(?). Animal ears and human ears (4 ears, 2 on the top of the head and 2 on the side). Look at the concept or the cinematic trailer. Somewhere her earrings must be fixed. And it don't look so they are fixed on the animal ears. I hope me question is now a bit clearer? Yes?
  17. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

earrings.png

The earrings could hang on a cord from the ears down. You might be overthinking this one! :D
  18. SiegaPlays

Does make me wonder how a bald aurin look though.
  19. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Ah yes, the infamous "how are the earrings attached" question. We talked about this a while back and still do not know the answer, that I know of. We can only speculate until they tell us.

As for the cord that Black Wolf mentioned, that would make the earrings swing back and forth a lot and that doesn't happen, unless the physics are non-existent on them.
  20. SiegaPlays

I think it is not earrings.

It is a headband ornament thing to keep the wig in place, since the wee female aurins would otherwise be short haired eggheads with bunny ears and less likely to be taken serious in other humanoid cultures, where hairgrowth on females - in the right places - is a sign of beauty.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.