1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Quiz Here!

Discussion in 'Personal Introductions' started by Quiz Whiz, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Quiz Whiz

Quiz Whiz New Cupcake

Hello all!

My name is Quiz and I'm an elder of the community Conviction (www.congaming.com). I'm a hardcore gamer with a softcore mentality. Does that even make sense? Not really I guess. As an individual I like to push max level first (And I ALWAYS do), and help my guild along. Here's a little bit about me (if any of you care!).

Anyone who has played with me and heard me in vent has at one point heard me talking about "My MMO"... In reality the dream will never be realized, however it's not illegal to dream (yet).

First I'll start with a little bit about me and where I started my gaming career, to kinda lay a base for the nostalgic stuff that fuels my MMO dreams.

My first MMO, or if you could call it an MMO, was actually a MUD called Realms of Despair. The game used to have it's website @ www.game.org, but now it's hosted on www.realmsofdespair.com. My uncle introduced this game to me when I was 10 years old, and I fell in love with it probably because of the way he explained it to me. Like me, my Uncle has a way of over-exaggeration actual events, but he really made this game sound good. In a nutshell, you had all the basics of an MMO in this game only there were no pictures. In order to "move" your character you literally typed in the direction you wanted to go, North, South, East, West, Northwest, Up, etc... Upon entering each room you were met with a room title, a room description, available exits, and then the people and monsters in the room. You had an inventory, equipment that was visible by typing "equip", and each piece of equipment had stats that generally followed a D&D rule-set. The game was popular for it's time, and even to this day still has ~800 players at prime time; quite a feat for a text-based game. I learned quickly the atmosphere of the online community when my uncle made the mistake of giving me access to his account. I scammed people, stole their items, killed them, and told them to f**k off when they said that they were calling the GMs on me. The GMs came, and punished me accordingly. The havoc that I wreaked on that game took place over the weekend when there were no GMs online, however when they returned they made every effort to restore civility. They froze my uncle's character "Korg" in the middle of town, as a statue and a reminder to the events that transpired. Even to this day you can log into the game and see the character frozen with a plaque warning other players to "Take your bullstuff elsewhere". I was just a kid, and I've grown since then.

The second MMO I played was a game by the long since dead game developer (or are they?) Sierra. This game was called "The Realm". The only really major upgrade that this game had over Realms of Despair, was this game had graphics; 2d graphics, but graphics all the same. It was a side-scrolling game where you moved your character from area to area. I started playing this game when I was 11 years old. Having not truly learned my lesson in RoD, I made a character in The Realm and gave him the Thief class; needless to say, I role-played a thief. In The Realm each character was given a house of their own, with a passworded lock-box to store their goods, and a lock on their door to keep out the unwanted. To get to someones house, all you had to do was go to one of the translocater's huts and type in the name of the player's house that you wished to travel to. So, my 11 year old thieving self formulated an extravagant plan to fast-forward my career in this game and acquire wealth beyond my means. I stood just outside town, which served as a trading port for most of the high levels in the game, and waited for any mid-high levels that looked like they had really good equipment to set up camp and start selling their wares. Shortly after they did, I'd head to their house via the translocater. Once there, I'd send that person a private message "Congradulations! You've been randomly selected to received a F/I/V/E/S Wrath and 1,000,000 Gold!" (I had no idea what that was, I just saw people auctioning them for stuff tons of money) "All you have to do is come 1 south of the TL (translocater) in Lancaster with absolutely NOTHING equipped and NOTHING in your inventory within the next 5 minutes and open trade with Quiz!" ... In this game you could inspect people, and their inventory; so the plan was perfect. I gave them only 5 minutes to get there, but little did they know, I was not there. You could see when someone teleported to their house, and once they did, I'd pop an invisibility potion and wait for them to open their door. There was a window of about 3 seconds to go into their house, while they loaded from inside their house to outside their house. In their haste, the players usually would throw all of their stuff on their living room floor, instead of putting it in their secure lock box (the lock box was in a seperate room with a bit longer of a load time). And right when they opened their door to go outside, I snuck in, and they closed the door behind me, thinking their items safe. Shortly after I cleaned up their living room, they'd realize the scam and I'd see them gated back to their living room, standing on their bare floor, staring at me while I equipped their old equipment. <REDACTED>es got scammed. This went on for about 2 weeks before the GMs caught on, and again, made an example out of me. My account was banned, along with my brother's and sister's accounts too; and my Dad grounded me from the computer for a month. Worth it, I said.

The next MMO I played was Everquest. Everquest hands down ruined my life, but when I look back at it, gave me a new one in it's place. Before Everquest I was an A+ student, I received a school award for participating in every single sport available in Junior High, and was one of the popular kids in school. After I started playing Everquest, I gained 50 lbs, quit school, basically caused my parents to get divorced, and gave up on real life all together. Any regrets, you ask? None. I rebounded with the weight gain, went back to school, and my parents were f**king doomed to a divorce anyways; this made me realize that I needed to moderate my game-playing and still participate in day-to-day activities in the real world. Everquest opened up a new world to me, one where I got involved in the community. One thing Everquest had that no other game, to this day has, was a true in-game community full of traders, story tellers, and the feeling that you were actually "immersed" in the game. If you wanted to barter your wares, you literally had to take your stuff out of your bank, pack it up in bags, and make a long and difficult travel (even longer if you were an elf) to the tunnel in East Commonlands. Once there you auctioned off your items in the trade channel, bartered prices for items, and if you were good enough, made a small fortune before you left the tunnel again. In order to get a group your reputation had to be clean, because groups while absolutely NECESSARY to level, were not in abundance. I remember spending 5 hours on a list in Lower Guk to get into a group that pulled 12 different spawns called the "Bed Room" group. I sat in the room with many others waiting on the list and just chatted with everyone while we waited for our turn to get some experience. Everquest also was probably the last time I remember being excited in an MMO. The excitement came from the unknown, not knowing what lie around the corner, not knowing if that last death resulted in a complete loss in all my equipment, not knowing if I could make the travel to the Aviak Towers in the Southern Karanas to join a group that needed a many times proven warrior tank.

So many memories come from this game, and I wish I could take every one of you back to the golden days that were EQ1 original. I played that game for 3 years and was never bored. In 3 years I had well over 400 days played between all my characters, easily more than every single MMO or video game I have played since. The game itself will probably set a base for all of the ideas that I'll be posting here; the adventure, the danger, the actual RISK vs REWARD theory. There is nothing in my mind that trumps this game, and probably never will be... until my MMO is released, of course.

After Everquest I did what many other MMO'ers did after their first MMO; I MMO hopped. I learned all about the hype train, jumping on board for the release of ShadowBane (which I eventually gave up on because the wait was unbareable). However after posting on the Shadowbane forums, I joined a smaller gaming community called The House of Wrath - which led me into the Dark Age of Camelot era. This game started my MMO power-gaming mentality, and it was the only game I actually prepared for launch. Similar to what I did now, I secluded myself from the outside world, and prepared to beat everyone to the end-game content in this highly anticipated "next-gen" MMO. And beat them I did. We rolled on the Merlin server, Albion side. I played a class that wasn't the best solo'er, an Armsman (a tank), so the odds were against me. This game, similar to Everquest, was not a game you wanted to level alone in; but I found ways. I ended up grinding my way all the way to 50, beating the next person by 5 levels after staying up 4 nights in a row (this was much easier in my youth). If there is one thing that DAoC introduced me to, it was PVP. PVP in Dark Age was epic beyond all games standards, even today. Warhammer tried to mimic that epicness, but fell short only introducing two factions. I can't begin to describe how amazing the game was in PVP, it had all the right mechanics, and they all seemed finely tuned. And with that, here's another story! I remember I was with a group of my guildmates out in the hostile territories between the realms; a place where experience bonuses were granted, and the loot made it worth the trip. We were pulling Hill Giants to a cropping of trees, to avoid being easily spotted by either the Midgard or Hibernian realm. Our scout puller made a slip, and pulled two hill giants by accident, but we were ready to give it a shot. The battle seemed to be going well, with our scout kiting one around while we killed the other giant; then it happened. Our Cabalist dropped out of nowhere, followed shortly by one of our clerics. We finished off the first giant and we still were taking damage from an unknown source. And then we spotted it. A lurikeen ranger up on the hill to the north sniping from maximum range picking off our players. I immediately targeted him, pulled up my Intercept, and stood in front of my teammates blocking each of his arrows as our group made our way to him. Once the 8 of our remaining Albion adventure party got there, we were met with a huge surprise. Just over the hill, only 100 meters away from where we were fighting, was 3 full groups of Hibernians clearing hill giants. We were f**ked; but that didn't stop us. We dropped the ranger pretty quickly, he obviously didn't tell his group that he was going to pick a fight. But once we did, we were spotted and the fight was on. Our remaining cleric and friar were able to keep hidden and keep the heals up, but it was only a matter of time before the fight tipped in their favor and our healers power pools were exhausted. But just before that happened, another surprise struck. Two groups of Midgards (the troll/goblin/norse type) found their way to the battle, and luckily engaged the Hibernians from the opposite side, creating an Elf Sandwich. They were overwhelmed, but the Hibs put up a fight on both sides, weakening the Mids and us all the same. After the Hibs were dead, we met square with the Midgards, and the battle commenced. Somehow, by whatever f**king miracle, our scout I guess killed that other Hill giant, and finally joined in the battle, fully prepared. He picked off their healers with ease, and we won the day, even though it seemed like we were certainly dying on that hill.

What can I take from that story? What did I like about the PVP? In my MMO (You'll be hearing this a lot, and now seeing this a lot), PVP battles will be slower paced; letting strategy out-win jumpy/strafy f***s. In DAoC if you strafed while in combat, you gained a 50% chance to miss. So you did not see what you see in modern-day PVP games, and that is the jumping around unrealistic combat that in my mind ruins MMOs. In DAoC, you stood before your attacker, and made moves that either gave you the offensive or set you back in the defensive. You could strafe, in fact there were positional attacks that you benefited from by strafing, but you had to do it between attacks, and you had to be prepared or suffer the penalty.

I side-tracked a little bit there, so back to my gaming history. After DAoC I moved on to many other MMOs, including Asheron's Call, Anarchy Online, Shadowbane (finally), Asheron's Call 2, Eve, and yes, World of Warcraft. There are many others I didn't list, but rest assure if you say the name of an MMO, I've probably tried it. I've learned a lot about what I like, what others like, what I dislike, what I absolutely f**king hate, and what really seems to work. I believe that if a gaming company were to sit down and actually look at WHAT WORKED in each of these games, and take a little bit from each, instead of just looking at how they can make a profit, there would be an MMO that would be unmatched. That's where my MMO would come into play. Each of the games I've played has had certain things that were really awesome, and that I wish I saw in today's MMOs. But each of these games also failed epicly in certain categories, and in some case caused the game to ultimately fail.

Over the last few years I've realized that these new-age MMOs have hardly held any weight with me. I've enjoyed them briefly, but in most cases by the time I'm done with them I'm ready to pack up my stuff and never try another MMO. However with Conviction by my side, and the gamers that I play with on a daily basis, I'm more than willing to try out any game and any genre - because the people you play with make the game all the better.

Looking forward to Wildstar with ya'all! See you in game and you'll see my name up on the boards as server first max! :D
    Roadblock likes this.
  2. Quiz Whiz

Quiz Whiz New Cupcake

No cursing here? Tons of redacted stuff.. LOL. Let me try to edit that stuff out.
  3. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Official Random Kat Welcome Welcome! :D Enjoy your stay here at WSC! :)

(and nope, we're a PG forums, so...yea...)
  4. Quiz Whiz

Quiz Whiz New Cupcake

Oh that's fine. I tend to skip over some rules from time to time.

Love the info here so far. Great setup ya guys have here!
  5. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Welcome to WSC (WildStar Central).

Your post needs more paragraph breaks. Normally I read the entire opening posts in this forum, but in this case I settled for some selective reading.

Are you more interested in PvE or PvP? Have you ever obtained a server first max level or did you mean that you are normally the first in your guild to hit max level? Have you decided on a faction, race, class, and role?

What are your interests outside of gaming?

Do you enjoy trivia?

Random not-Kat question, what is the funniest thing you ever saw in person?
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Welcome to the WSC family, hope you enjoy it in here as much as I do :D

PS: Was I the only one waiting for a real Quiz?
  7. Quiz Whiz

Quiz Whiz New Cupcake

8. Quiz Whiz

Quiz Whiz New Cupcake

[​IMG]

Only one I have saved :(
    Tribe likes this.
  9. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

10. Kilo

Kilo New Cupcake

"With only 6 hours of sleep since the early releases 2nd wave, Quiz hit 50 at 7:30 est AM just ahead of two Jedi's that seemed like they were going to catch him at one point. Props to them for giving it a good run.
    Grats Quiz, three straight releases at first 50."
    That is what was posted on our home page on the website on December 17th, 2011. The link to the buried page is below
    http://www.congaming.com/home/m/944309/page/15
  11. Quiz Whiz

Quiz Whiz New Cupcake

Oh der it is. Thanks Kilo. I should really keep some documentation for my bragging rights.

If there are any for first max -_-