1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Race and Path restrictions.

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Miatog, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not really sure if this goes in race or class and paths, so a coin flip said I post in races!

Anyways, looking over lore again a thought hit me.

The Granok are described as having "more boulders than brains." This tells me that they aren't exactly very science leaning...so why would they be scientist? In fact only solider seems to really fit them.

What about Mechari, made to be elite soldiers and enforcers, that doesn't lend itself to settlers very well. Soldier clearly fits and works. Explorer works because they might need to find a new path to attack a base. They're robots so knowing how to repair and fix themselves is important, meaning scientist works...but I don't see them really helping out random towns build up.

This got me wondering, are paths going to have any race restrictions? If not, should there be? It doesn't make much sense for every race to be everything after all.
  2. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

A mechari settling is shown briefly in one of the official videos. I can't remember which off the top of my head, but I'm feeling potentially bored enough to look it up.

I don't think there will be any race restrictions for paths, and I don't think there should be, but I think there will be a natural analogue to it. The people who are attracted to certain races, particularly the ones with a more specific identity, are usually looking to embrace that identity rather than subvert it. Meaning, basically, that I think you can expect a healthy majority of granok to be soldiers because the people who play them will generally be, "I wanna be a rock guy and kick lots of ass!" types.
    Miatog likes this.
  3. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

When you view paths a sort of personality aspect then you see why it doesn't (and shouldn't) be race specific. In general Granok are not scholars, but that doesn't mean that every single one is a dumb rock. If the race's were this linear then the NPC's would be very un-flushed and forgettable it would also restrict the freedom in the game immensely. Classes are how you play the game and make sense to restrict based on race, but paths are what you do when you play the game and shouldn't be restricted.
    Miatog likes this.
  4. Xuphor

Xuphor New Cupcake

There won't be any race and path restrictions, not a chance.
    Carbine is priding themselves a ton with Paths, saying that it'll even effect what class you play to a decent extent. Restricting paths based on race (which has no known gameplay effect so far) would be just flat out stupid for them to do. Carbine is a smart developers, it seems, so I highly doubt they'd do that.
  5. Apothecary

Apothecary Cupcake

Paths are open to any race because they want players to follow a path they want classes can be more varied vo
    Myrrdhinn likes this.
  6. Genoshock

Genoshock Cupcake-About-Town

i think there will only be race class restrictions ... cant imagine granock esper .... just cant .... however i think any class/race can be any path
    Myrrdhinn likes this.
  7. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

Apostate and crowsong, thank you for those posts. I have a tendency to play devils advocate against myself when new thoughts like this one hit me. You two just blew out of the water every argument I made to myself that there should be restrictions in your posts.

I'm in favor of them being open, but that thought train hit me and made me unsure, mind is at ease now, I feel good ^_^
    Gomer, Kataryna and Apostate like this.
  8. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

*tips hat* Sometimes even a devil's advocate needs someone to play the devil's advocate.
    Gomer likes this.
  9. Outburstz

Outburstz Cupcake-About-Town

At first I thought that would be the case, because having a Darken scientist would be odd.

However after seeing the trailer with the paths reveal and the teacher robot having all the races in the classroom I doubt they would restrict paths and races. So after thinking about it no I don't think they will do that.
  10. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

You have to keep in mind that "more boulders than brains" would be seen as a stereotype. There could easily be Granok that love science. Or Draken that want to have a lot of bunnies in their home. Just like how we have humans who are the odd one out. ;)
    Trigger likes this.
  11. Ennui

Ennui Cupcake

i know me personally will in general be playing odd class/race/path combo's. because thats the kind of person i am.

at least until we know what the bonus's are, and if one is superior for pvp or raiding, i'll probably roll that on my mains.
  12. quivers

quivers Cupcake

i think path is more how you want to play rather then lore wise. besides from the looks of it your little bot dude does most of the work you just tell it what to scan :p
  13. MrDreadful

MrDreadful Creepy Cupcake

Agreed, more restrictions make for less fun. The paths are purely for our jollies, but the race/class combo are part of immersion. Im OCD, though, so I wish I could combine Settler and Scientist.
  14. Rundo

Rundo Cupcake

I never like to look at the Lore as a black and white thing. Even if the majority of the Granok are "more boulders than brains", that doesn't mean there can't be smart Granoks around that follow a scientist path.

Same goes for the Mechari. Yes they are soldiers, but maybe the Eldan programmed some of them to be builders so they could build defensive/offensive structures.

And i am pretty sure there are some naughty Aurins around that stamp and destroy every flower in their sight! Mwuhahaha I will be such an evil Aurin!
  15. Dragon

Dragon Cupcake

I don't know about the rest of you, but the only thing I got from the "more boulders than brains" quip was that it was just a bit of subtle adult humor. Consider the artwork we've seen of a Granok dwelling, featuring a stripper pole in the mud, and also the bra lying on the bunk (plus the picture of a nude Draken lady) when Kit first mentions the Granok. And, of course, the next line in the video, in a playful tone: "Yep, that means just what it sounds like," as he adjust his, erm...boulders.

As much as some race/path combos don't really make a lot of sense, I doubt there will be any sort of restrictions on them. Carbine wants you to play your chosen class the way you want to play it, and remember that elements of each path are represented during normal story quests too.
    MrDreadful and Myrrdhinn like this.
  16. column

column New Cupcake

Lore wise, it doesn't make sense for some races to be some paths. But I think having not only class/race restrictions, but also path restrictions would be to much and would force people into playing different races or even classes then they wanted to.
  17. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I'm wondering how much it matters about the Granok having restrictions like not being a Scientist. I forsee the type of player that would pick Granoks as a race would typically not be a scientist type anyway.

Mechari are told what to do by the Dominion, so they'll fit whatever role the Dominion tells them to do. While they're really just serving the Dominion in that the Eldan told them to, and will someday probably just overtake them, they'll do what helps the Eldan's goals the most. But, on the same note as the Granok, players who are settlers need to be social to be effective, so you would think players which are social will shy away from being a "lifeless robot."

For the first question, doubtful. For the second, nope. There's very few races that shouldn't be certain paths, but when they do conflict the typical player that would want to play a certain path would not pick those races based on aesthetics. This isn't necessarily always true, but in general it likely will be. You may see something like less than 5% of the overall race pick something completely counter to expected paths (such as a Granok Scientist). Not to mention the Scientist path really is about collecting information, not necessarily analyzing it themselves, they assume the "codex" and the little robot companion does the analysis.
    Domi Dayglow likes this.
  18. Wormwood

Wormwood Cupcake

Why would a Granok be a scientist? Simple: Brewing

It's already been mentioned in the lore that Brewing and Drinking beer is part of Granok culture, and the art of brewing (as well as viticulture and distilling) can be quite complex. Very good reason for a Granok to be a Scientist!

However, in my mind, the Scientist path can be seen as a little more broad in its scope. For instance, I think a Big Game Hunter might very well be a Scientist: they need to know about their targets, the habitats they'll be hunting in and what kind of dangers they might face while tracking. I plan to have my Granok be a scientist for just this reason.

Just another take on the path!
  19. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I'm pretty sure I remember a devspeak or video where they said that there were no limits on race to path. They were supposed to be open to all. The Path video did show the Mechari as a settler, and another showed a Granok as a settler. I'll look around a little and see if I can find where it said that paths were open to all races.

I think people's pre-conceptions will play a big roll too. It's easy for people to see a Granok as a soldier. Just like it makes sense to see Draken as one.