1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Race "Personalities"

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Optimisticnerd, Feb 21, 2013.

?

Do you like the personality of the races released so far?

1. Yes.

77 vote(s)
    88.5%
  2. No.

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  3. Yes, but with some exceptions

9 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Optimisticnerd

Optimisticnerd Cupcake-About-Town

So, Carbine put out a new post today that's supposed to be an interview with Malvolio Portius http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/meet_the_cassian.php

Granok seem dumb (but still awesome), Aurin seem to be tree huggers, Humans rednecks, Draken savages, and Cassians think they're better than you. It's pretty damn awesome

But, I've realized that it seems not everyone shares my enthusiasm about the personality of the races. Some people have told me that if the races are too silly, they can't take the lore seriously. Or that they're putting little to no thought into it. So putting the amazing looking gameplay aside, how does everyone feel about the personalities of the races? I'd like to get a discussion going about it... I mean, I can't be the only one who's completely loving this right?

Edit: Okay so maybe the two sides have two valid points after all in the conflict... Couldn't find much information about the dominion's reasoning, but apparently I didn't look hard enough. It was there. Mislead me to think they were evil.
  2. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

moneda, Fate Flyer, Hope and 3 others like this.
  3. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

;)
  4. Ingsoc

Ingsoc Cupcake-About-Town

Kat you're insane (in a good way). Do you have all this stuff bookmarked?

I really like the personalities of the Dominion races we've seen so far. I'm not a huge fan of the "redneck space cowboy" persona of the Exile Humans, but that's fine, since I'm going to crush them under my boot with the rest of my Dominion friends.

Was reading in one of the Chad Moore interviews today that Carbine really wants us to identify with the factions and feel passionate about our choice. I think they are doing very well so far.
  5. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

nope, not a single bookmark, I can just do a mean google search ;) lol! My GW2 guild almost made me my own personal rank of "GuildWiki". someone would ask a question and before anyone else could find an answer I had one. though, for that game it helped to have the ability to type in "/wiki (whatever)" while in game and it pop up a new browser window with the info you wanted.
  6. Elward

Elward Cupcake

I like what they've done with the races so far, it's always a good thing when you have developed characters. However I don't really see the dominion as being 'evil'...I feel they're more lawful good while the exiles are chaotic good, they just happen to be at odds. Just my opinion though, and I would definitely like to get some more lore so I can see how the races in their entirety behave.
  7. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

But the Dominion isn't evil. lol
  8. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

I'm really surprised you think this. Not because it's wrong to think it, but because my view of the Dominion is so drastically different. *Shrug* This is another reason I love forums.

I've read in several places that Wildstar developers DO NOT want us to view Dominion as evil and Exiles as good. Up until today, I thought, "Meh, it's what all developers hope for. What I'm seeing right now is evil and good and this is not necessarily bad." However, after reading through some of the information this morning, especially the bit from Massively, my whole view regarding the faction dynamic changed. The Dominion believe in education? Personal freedom? And equal opportunity? Sounds pretty inline with what I believe in - probably because I grew up in America where these systems are rampant. This doesn't sound bad. It sounds like the pinnacle of "good" to me.

I think "good" and "bad" is in the eye of the beholder, and Wildstar has done a good job making me think about which I find more appealing.
    Elward likes this.
  9. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Yeah I don't see Good and Evil, I see Lawful and Chaotic. There will be plenty of good and evil individuals but each faction is doing what they think is right. Here are a few quotes on the subject. :)

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/uplink_analysis_faction_appeal.php
    http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=31817
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/massively-exclusive-a-closer-look-at-wildstars-cassians/
    Fate Flyer, ObliviousPrime and Ingsoc like this.
  10. Ingsoc

Ingsoc Cupcake-About-Town

Why can't the unwashed masses understand that we are trying to HELP them?
    Kurik Lein likes this.
  11. Noa

Noa Cupcake

I'm loving them so far!
  12. Optimisticnerd

Optimisticnerd Cupcake-About-Town

Hmm... I never did take this into consideration. I took my view from the "Meet the Dominion" video and the meet the cassians post. They were constantly talking about being superior, and of course what seemed to be world domination to me. I never did consider that they would do that for the greater good. Hmm. Food for thought. My apologies for unfairly labeling the dominion as evil.

It just seemed to me with the little information that I had to go on, that they were evil.

Damnit, where the hell was all this information when I went to go look for it?!
  13. Rhsolyn

Rhsolyn Cupcake

I actually really adore the Exile humans. Maybe it's because I'm enamored with Firefly, but all I could think was MAL! Give a man a grudge, an accent and an empire to fight against and I'm sold. I also kind of like that they "went there" with the Aurins and made them really treehugger-y. I actually quite like the Granok so far. It's like someone made a race of non-Russian Heavies from TF2, hahaha. They might seem a little slow but honestly they don't seem that unintelligent to me--obviously Sarge knows quite a bit about weaponry (certainly more than I do!).

However, I am unabashedly in love with the Dominion. They're like a glorious mix of Star War's Empire and Firefly's Alliance--seemingly oppressive but also doing a lot of good, except they're rEALLY SMUG AND HAMMY and I just love them so much ugunhh.

I am dying to learn more about Cassian society and Cassus itself and how everything works and slkjfsdlfsdf I want the lore. All of it.
    Evion likes this.
  14. Qimx

Qimx Cupcake-About-Town

What do you expect? Carbine is in the house.
  15. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

With the personalities of the characters Carbine chose for their "Meet the..." videos being so prominent I think a lot of people haven't really thought too hard about the perspective of those characters. When Kit Brinny describes the Aurin as protectors of nature and says most Granok have more boulders than brains that may not necessarily be true, but that's how Kit sees them. The same way every member of the Dominion may not be a murderous psychopath even though Kit sees them all as <REDACTED>s that start wars and ravage planets. It may do Carbine well to do more videos with other members of each faction.
  16. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

From what they have released I love the personalities of each of the races. They are all different which is cool
  17. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

We'll see more diversity as we play through the game. But as a general tone to start us off I think they're really great fun all round.

The redhead is my favourite so far :inlove:
  18. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

I love this from the Human interview. :D

Q: Here's a hypothetical situation: you're sitting in a bar, and an intergalactic bounty hunter has a gun aimed at your heart. Would you shoot first?

A: Do I really need to answer that question?

Q: I suppose not.

Star Wars reference FTW! Heck yes, you shoot first. And then you get edited.
    TheBee, Evion, JarNod and 1 other person like this.
  19. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

Thanks for the links Kataryna, fun to read :)
  20. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

I just loved the human guy from the original video. He cracked me up to no end.