1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Races being pigeon-holed into very few classes is starting to scare me

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Trigger, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Cupcake

Wildstar sound incredible and awesome. But it is presenting me with a challenge I have never faced before in an MMO: Picking my race and class.
    Actually, I already know what class I want to be. An Esper. But barring that, spellslinger. And barring that further, just a class that is capable of healing.

But it's another matter entirely picking a race that can play the class I want to play.

At first I wanted to be a Granok.
    ...Except wait, they can only be warriors. (so far)

Then I thought, okay, the 4th Exiles race.
    ....Praying they can be Esper.

And then....no wait! A Mechari.
    ...oh silly me, they can only be a warrior or a stalker.

I know there are more classes but the fact that I don't know what they are is making me concerned. The race/classes seem unfairly restricted to me. And while I know that these restrictions are not new to MMOs, the roles are restricted to the point where I wonder if I even will be able to play the race I want, with the role I want. (healing) I've finally made up my mind: I want to play a mechari. I am pretty set on this at the moment. But I want to be a healer and I don't want to be pigeon-holed into tank or dps because of the race I roll.

Someone reassure me?
  2. Apothecary

Apothecary Cupcake

They are doing it for a Lore reason Wildstar has a large RP community and allowing mechari to be spell casters wouldnt make sense logicly, I can see granok getting the last 2 classes as well and mechari getting one of them.

Im not sure if the last exile race will have esper vo, i think 2 races will only be esper per faction
  3. Trigger

Trigger Cupcake

I am an RPer but I also like just being able to enjoy the game. I don't care if I can't cast spells but it would be great if I could still be a healer of some sort--that way I can play a race I actually like and pursue the gameplay style I also actually like.
  4. Scoriae

Scoriae Cupcake

Don't worry; both Granok and Mechari will be able to be healers. Just not SS or Esper.
  5. kuunkulta

kuunkulta Cupcake-About-Town

Yea it's been confirmed that Granok and Mechari can be both of the unannounced classes and at least one of those two is confirmed to be a healer
    Irullan and Sonntam like this.
  6. MrDreadful

MrDreadful Creepy Cupcake

At least we're not in old EQ land where if you wanted to play a caster and you didn't roll an Erudite people looked at you askance.
    vicksen likes this.
  7. vicksen

vicksen Cupcake

I hated that <REDACTED>. They were so freakin' blind in the dark.
    MrDreadful likes this.
  8. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

pretty sure it's been confirmed so far that Granok can be both the last 2 classes, nothing's been said about Mechari (though we're assuming they can be at least one of the last 2 - probably not both imo 3 classes for Mechari so as to mirror the Granok only having 3 classes). And yes, one of the last 2 classes is confirmed as being a healing class (and if anyone comes in and tries to suggest a "Main Healer" was confirmed i'll smack you - it's been said that was a misspoken comment!)
    ruff_ethereal and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  9. kuunkulta

Aye might be I remember wrong about Mechari but Granok at least get both. Plus I'd say it's a safe bet to say that Mechari will get a healing class. And no need to smack me at least, won't be suggesting anything about main healers
    Kataryna likes this.
  10. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

oh, i didn't mean i'd smack YOU! sorry :oops:! i meant i'd smack whoever suggested it ;)
  11. kuunkulta

Yah I know but better safe than sorry :D
  12. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

As long as I can wear a Carmen Miranda hat , I shall be pleeeeased.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  13. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

Most MMOs start with fairly tight race/class restrictions due to lore or wanting to maintain racial diversity to some extent they also tend to loosen that dramatically as the game gets older as an attempt to make the game seem fresh.

As for the mechari specifically it would seem logical they would be the 'engineer' class since they're you know robots but that would leave them as just tank/dps so I guess assming carbine want all races to have access to all roles they're at least going to be 'medic'.
    That or they're going to try and give all races four classes.
  14. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I really empathise with the OP's sentiments. I want to end up playing a tank and melee class or worst case, a cool caster class. However, the races on top of my list are the aurin and draken. Aurin can't be warriors and I hate the rogue archetype more than any other so unless the stalker is really unique, I probably won't play it. Meanwhile draken can't be espers, which seem to be a pretty cool and unique caster class, although I've admittedly lost a lot of interest in the esper since seeing that their attacks are just flying transparent blades instead of colorful blasts of psychic energy like I envisioned. I'm hoping that the last two classes give me some glimmer of hope for my class selection woes.

My bigger issue really is the racial faction restrictions. I want my draken to be Exile but she won't be able to. :(
  15. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

I like that the races have specific classes allowed to them. It helps make races in a game unique rather than just an aesthetic skin that doesn't affect gameplay much or at all.
    ArdentSun and Kataryna like this.
  16. Nukingsman

Nukingsman New Cupcake

I agree. While we're on it, is there a class the Human/Cassians CAN'T be? :confused:
  17. Genoshock

Genoshock Cupcake-About-Town

or in wow if you didnt pick tauren warrior as a tank u were immediately shunned ...
  18. Bomoo

Bomoo Cupcake

Okay, I'm going to be referring to some speculative information here, but hear me out. They've said, IIRC, that Granok will have access to both of the unrevealed classes. Let us assume, as information suggests, that the two classes are some kind of staff using shaman and a physical damage gun user. Both seem to fit Granok. Now, for Mechari, it is not unreasonable to assume that they will have access to the gun user but not the staff user due to their aversion for magic. So there's that class balance, 3 each.

Personally I believe that class balance will exist between the unrevealed dominion race - "chua" - and aurin, with 4 each. Looking at the class distribution that's revealed so far, I would venture to assume that chua will have access to esper, slinger, staff dude, gun dude.

For the unrevealed exile race - space zombies - I'm going to assume, again judging by the class distribution, that they will be paired against Draken. Given that Draken have warrior, stalker, slinger, and likely staff user (some staff user NPCs seen in that Draken village from screenshots), with possibly gun user, I believe it is fair to assume that space zombies will get a similar class distribution but weighed against the existing balance. So warrior seems likely, as exiles have 2 for the dominion's 3. Stalker also, 2 for 3. Spellslinger, sure, as they're 2 for 2, and it could thematically fit both unrevealed races. Esper? I think it's unlikely, as exiles seem in the lead there, with 2 for the dominion's 1. And, finally, slinger. Slinger seems even now, which makes it a toss up whether both new races will have access to it or not.

Aside from granok having both new classes and mechari at least one, it's anyone's guess how they will be balanced. Though I don't think it's thematically unfitting that aurin get staff dude, as there are screenshots and video of aurin staff user NPCs or players. A gun toting chua does show up in one screenshot, and they seem to be all about technology, so a gun user would be a natural fit for them, likewise.
  19. Trigger

Trigger Cupcake

Lore is an understandable explanation although....this is a new IP. Most MMOs seem to be worked from existing IPs with already established races who wouldn't make sense being certain classes. Wildstar is a brand new universe with nothing that existed prior to the MMO. There are racial restrictions because that is what the developers wanted.
    They could have just as easily made it 'in lore' for everyone to be everything.

This isn't a problem for those who don't feel strongly towards any other race or love multiple races or play alts. But I am none of those. Up until now I have had a terribly difficult time trying to figure out what race I want to be. It makes it harder and unfair that I have to coordinate the race I want to be with the class I want to be as well.

So if I want to be a certain race but also want to be a particular class--I have to choose between the two.
    I never really had a problem with the race-class restrictions in WoW but perhaps because there are so few classes in this game (I don't mind that) it makes the racial restrictions unbearable.
  20. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Well, the other reason for them to limit the race/class combos is time constraints on animating everything. If they have to animate at least 6 classes for male and female of a race that's a lot of time taken up by that that they could have been devoting to other stuff instead.
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.