1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Rachel's Racial Roundup

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Steampunkette, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Bravadorado

Bravadorado Cupcake-About-Town

I talked to Myrrdhinn about it before posting, don't worry.

I doubt this will be the case, I think they will be treated well. It's the other races throughout their "star spanning empire" that I'm worried about, considering the Dominion refer to them as "pathetic vermin"...
    These are the ones I think differently on.

Luminai:
    From the Luminai page. Since Dominus is kind of a special case, he likely lived a bit longer than normal Luminai, I suspect average length is about 200.

Draken: I don't think it would fit into their design very well if they died this quickly. THey need old and knowledgeable veterans and shamans, battle hardened, wise, all that good stuff. I think they will live a bit longer.

Chua: I agree with the others here, almost definitely short lifespans imo. If we are incorporating any actual science in our Wildstar, then the Chua will have shorter lives. Such a small body means their hearts have to pump fast to circulate all of the blood that they need to survive. Human hearts pump slower because each pump is able to push out a lot of blood and we use the energy slower. A higher heart rate leads to a faster death, especially in something small enough to resemble a hamster or rat. This would also explain their increased intelligence as everything in their body works faster, even their brain.
    I really hope not, since it is speculated they will be our intelligence network like the Mechari.
  2. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

I have no intention to lock down the thread, so behave well guys! :)

Yeah, I have to agree. The Chua (if they'll be indeed the final race) has short lives imo. They are just like... angry hamsters. :D
  3. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

I should explain a bit better on my Yoda comment.

I meant in appearance. Not nearly hairless and green, but so old you think they're potatoes that got left out for a week. Teeny tiny little balls of fuzzy wrinkles that spout off incredibly deep knowledge they've learned over the course of very long drawn out lives, most of which is spent in study or thought.

These are the two images of Chua we know exist:
    [​IMG]

Please ignore the badly photoshopped Forsaken... the point it that they're fairly drastically different in overall bushiness and their tone. It could just be an issue of concept art vs finished product, but I'm hoping it's a striation of society. Whether based on age (young chua in image 1, old chua in image 2) or cultural divide.

Mainly I love the mustache.

-Rachel-
    MrDreadful likes this.
  4. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I'd say the average lifespan of the Draken doesn't really matter, because they just die more often due to battling all the time. It's not necessarily that they can't live past 60, they just tend not to. They have an inherent sense of honor and loyalty which forces them to fight, even against the odds. I'd imagine their battle hardening is due to instinct as Steampunkette pointed out, and that they are more primal.

In other words, older Draken who's experienced but past his prime will always accept a challenge, and would get injured/killed more often. On occasion you'll get one that's extremely powerful and happens to be unbeatable until he/she's too old to fight anymore, but the majority would get killed by one of their conquests, or due to side effects (such as infected wounds or exposure due to hunting down some large prey). This would allude to their society benefiting greatly from a large younger population which would die of quickly due to loyalty to the army or honorable challenges.

So, while theoretically Draken could live to be 100 or whatever, they won't because they're constantly going out for battle, regardless of what better judgement may tell them.
  5. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

Hard to not be distracted by the Cassian, but yes. 'Tis an epic 'stache indeed. He looks venerable.
  6. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

What if Chua have a kind of inherited racial memory. Say they genetically inherit the knowledge of their parents and grandparents and so on. That could help explain their high intelligence. Kind of making things instinctive for them.

Then again, for all we know, they can probably clone themselves and just transport their memory into a new body if they really do have short lifespans.
  7. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Whatever lifespan limitations that exist naturally, I would think in a sci-fi setting, would all be normally enhanced, either through superior medical technology or some sort of biotechnology. I'm talking about non-interrupted life-spans, such as those getting blown up in their ripe young adulthood for example.

I would expect all of the races to have life spans longer than us real world people do. Even those wicked, maniacal furrballs that will soon become a regular part of my balanced diet! Yum.
    ArdentSun likes this.
  8. Chim

Chim Cupcake-About-Town

Exiles
    Granoks - bad (they killed Dominion's diplomatist)
    People - neutral (they are bad, good and neutral - so, neutral at all)
    Aurins - good (but they are still scary bunnies, ugh)

Dominion
    Drakens - bad (they live to fight, meh)
    Cassians - neutral (like people)
    Mecharies - good (they do that what they were maded to do, it's fine)

Both are just legions of different people. Exiles want theirs order, Dominion want theirs order. Maybe Drakens just want to fight but it is theirs order! :3
    I like your discussion, also I love to make my short posts with my point of view.

Have a nice day, Chim~
  9. Rizzalliss

Rizzalliss Cupcake

@OP: I really liked the read! Very much enjoyed the insight into your thoughts and opinions on the races.

To me, the Exiles haven't any outstanding races. (Don't hate me, it is just my opinion. :D )

Humans are humans(of the scrappy variety); Aurin, while I do find them interesting, are too 'pure cuteness' for me to play one; Granok are just the obligatory 'Big-n-Beefy'; and I have never wanted to play an 'undead'. Ever.

As for the Dominion, Cassians are humans(of the empirical variety); I do find the Mechari INCREDIBLY interesting, but would have a hard time playing a less-than-serious one(just my take on them) and I need some amount of comic relief in my character; the Chua are enough 'cuteness mixed with madness' that I REALLY like them, though I rarely play short races. The Draken, to me, are the most interesting of the races in the game. It's nothing novel or unique to me, but I really love their cat-like grace and movement.

In the end, it isn't even a specific race that drew me to the Dominion. It as actually their aesthetic style. I mean come on... their ships are pretty much Space Cadillacs.

I will consider playing a Draken or Chua later on, but to begin with, I will likely go Cassian. However... this may change based on whether I can get past the cold, metallic exterior of the Mechari... and whether or not they get some seriously glorious mustaches. ;)

Edit 2:24a 6/27/13: I completely left out the Draken in my personal breakdowns. My bad. :D
    Edit 5:46a 2/29/13: Edited to better reflect my interest in the Mechari.
    Chim and Steampunkette like this.
  10. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Cumulatively, Dominion does seem to have the cooler races and racial composition. They fit well together with the exception of the chua. Exile races don't look as well together aesthetically. There's no cohesive theme going on unless you consider a smorgasbord of random races a theme (which might actually fit the Exiles well philosophy-wise).
    Chim likes this.
  11. Steampunkette

You know... That's not really something I'd gone into at all, is it? Visual thematics, style, and uniforms...

Again, ignore the Forsaken. Let's go left to right!

The Mechari. Very stoically drawn machine-people. Extremely slimmed down body types with exaggerated secondary sexual characteristics (broad shoulders for males, breasts and wide hips for females). They sort of set the bar for the stylization of all the races in the game. [​IMG]
    Sharp color contrast makes for a very visually striking character. Their hard lines define the Dominion in a lot of ways. Their architecture, their clothing styles, their vehicles: All have lines and stylizations similar to the Mechari, a hand-me-down of design from the Eldan, most likely.

The Cassians. Again, stylized in shape and style, the one here is some sort of spellcaster. Their clothing again reflects the Mechari style. Sharp hips on the mechari become sharp tips and edges on the Cassian clothing. Likely as not synthetic fibers as well, just to make them even closer to mechari! [​IMG][​IMG]
    These two races within the Dominion are the closest, stylistically, and that makes them just about the only races that have a style in common.

The Draken. Violent. Animalistic. Their style matches their nature while being natural. Scales, Leathers, hard metal buckles crudely fashioned together. Necklaces of bones.
    [​IMG]
    They are the starkest member of the dominion. While the Mechari and the Cassians inherited Eldan or at least Luminai styles, the Draken maintain their own culture and express it at least in part through their appearance. Unlike many cultures which are folded into a larger society: they remain distinct and unique.

Skipping the Chua because I don't wanna do 4 and 3.

Granok: Armor. Armor. Armor. The Granok love themselves some Functional clothing. Large round plates that match the general body-shape of the Granok themselves. Large bulging shapes, whorls of stone and perhaps Body Art. But even with that taken into account they seem to have a strong uniform beyond their otherwise very individualized armor styles.
    [​IMG]
    Is this a Granok-Specific Military Uniform? Is it Exiles-Specific? Hard to say. But look at his shoulders, his biceps, and how his forarm attaches. Strong hard overlapping rock plates. And his features bear strong geometric designs along his jawline and cheek. Is this a ritualistic scarification for fashion or an actual natural whorling of their stoney outer layer?

Humans. While they inherit a lot of the Cassian stylization, hard to discard it after almost a thousand years of cultural subjugation, they do have some of their own unique flair added to it. While the coat and cut remains fairly Cassian, the colors, in particular, tend to be more earthy. Browns instead of whites, pale yellows and less saturated blues and greys.
    [​IMG]
    They're dirty, they're gritty. They're all Mal Reynolds encapsulated in animated form. Every one a Browncoat fighting against the Red and the White.

Aurin. This one is, perhaps, the most odd of styles, to me. I get the whole "Slap animal bits on a human" idea for characterization. It just feels a little... Empty. They're supposed to be these animalistic nature protectors, but when you look at them there is a lot of heavily dyed leather in blue and purple and bright greens as well.
    [​IMG]
    Like the Granok, they tend to wear clothes that are functional. Shorts with sleeveless tops in the hot jungles. Pockets and pouches galore. That's not to say that fashion is lost on them. It's just surprisingly... Cassian.
    [​IMG]
    A lot of the same edges and color-shapes as the mechari and the cassians. It's primarily in color options that they vary from the Cassian/Human styles. Admittedly, they don't accentuate the collar and neck nearly as much as the Cassians do. And yet their exploring styles tend towards more Browncoaty Exiles styles.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, though, they retain a lot of their utilitarian style with pouches. Yet the males show a surprising difference, at least in the above image. Dark red and not nearly so utilitarian in style. A lack of pouches or even pockets of any kind.

So... Yeah. Interesting stylization, overall. And the Dominion definitely have a "Closer" stylization that tends to spill over into the Exiles, even.

-Rachel-
    Domi Dayglow and Chim like this.
  12. Domi Dayglow

About the Aurins and their style, I was thinking......

The Aurins were relatively isolated for sometime on their homeworld. We have briefly mentioned their technology level, but in general it was hard to draw a conclusion because of a lack of information.

But! What if in joining up with the Exiles the Aurins suddenly had access to a lot of technology and many became very enthused by it? It would explain the range in fashions Aurins are shown in.

Oh! And I still think it's neat that Aurin females are taller than the males. :laugh:
  13. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

It could also be as simple as lower level clothing vs higher level clothing. The higher you get, the more colours , visual flairs and lines you get on your clothing.
  14. Domi Dayglow

Maybe visual flairs, but we know that there is a dye system too. I wonder if it will be like Guild Wars 2's system.

Also, all the previous game art, it looked like Wildstar really liked their belt buckles.
  15. Steampunkette

Which, in turn, would make you look more Cassian.

And yeah. In many species throughout nature the females are larger and more powerful than the males. It's nice to finally see that reflected in a canon setting.

-Rachel-
  16. Bravadorado

Bravadorado Cupcake-About-Town

No... It makes you look more colorful and visually appealing. Calling everything that looks good "Cassian" seems pretty biased to me, can we please not use races as adjectives for other races? Unless it's referencing something out of game, like "The Draken look very Charr-y" or something. It's annoying to me, like you're saying "Everyone that looks good is either Cassian or based on Cassians." Which is simply not the case, all of the races have their own unique flair and design/themes.
  17. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Females being larger than males doesn't apply well to mammals. Insects and the like far more so. The Aurin cleary share traits with bunnies, foxes, bats (ears), and a long tailed mammal, with appearance not relating to insects. Their social structure with a queen may relate to that. Having a race like this is nice, but I don't see that as the reasoning for it. I'd rather not know much about their reasoning, especially if the height sliders aren't implemented, as it will probably disagree with my reasoning.

If Cassians are the dominant force in the universe, then they most likely have the dominant fashion and influence on style. We'll most likely see plenty of Cassian influenced armor and clothing for their faction.

The only really race specific fashion, outside of Cassian, I've spotted is a Draken tribal mask, posted in the female draken thread.
  18. Steampunkette

There was a conversation, there, that you seem to have bypassed in your leap to my being biased.

The implication of the final line is a return to the original portion of the conversation. The purple-outfit aurin has some of the same stylizations that I noted in the Cassian and Mechari designs and suggested might be taken from Eldan designs.

I made that statement, originally. That lead to Domi suggesting a tech level difference. Then Rumze piped up that it might be lower level costumes and higher level costumes with the higher level costumes being more ornate. The implication, there, became flatly stated in the following post, that it makes you look more Cassian.

This does not mean epic level clothes make you look Cassian. I'm not saying Cassians have the best clothes. I'm not showing any bias against the Exiles. I'm remarking on the stylization of the Aurin's clothing based on the Esper Bunny image and how it compares to Cassian clothing in similarity of cut.

-Rachel-
  19. Steampunkette

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myotis_nigricans
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_whale
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_hyena

Three off the top of my head. Of course I wasn't limiting my statement to mammals, either. We do, after all, have the Draken as a lizardlike species, and there have been many other "Animalistic" species and races in games and worlds both fantasy and sci-fi throughout the years. But males are, almost invariably, larger than females in basically every game or world you play in.

I think it's really cool they've got it reversed, here.

-Rachel-
  20. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Haha if I wanted to "prove" this point further, I could slap a few national geographic books of mammals down on the table and show the vast majority of mammals with males dominating over your few and very far examples :)

Edit: I've noticed some other people have reasoned along those lines for smaller male Aurin, but it doesn't relate well. I'd prefer an explanation based on their planet and life within.

And although the Draken are often referred to as lizard-like, other than their swim animation and name, they don't have much going for them. Appear highly mammal, unless we get some variation in scale vs fur. Also, I can't really tell if their tales are scaled or fur covered.

I like lizard races in games, but I definitely see the Draken as posers atm.