1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Rachel's Racial Roundup

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Steampunkette, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Bravadorado

Bravadorado Cupcake-About-Town

Yes. If the Amazon was owned by a particular people that lived throughout it and were being murdered by us.
    It wasn't the machines that killed the resiting Aurin. The Aurin didn't strap themselves to trees and protest.
    Clearly they fought with troops, and the troops killed Aurin, the Aurin didn't just get in the way for some bulldozers. That isn't manslaughter.
  2. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

A closer example would have been Cuba helping the Southern States (Let's say Florida and Georgia) during the Civil War. At a time which the Southern States declared that the Northern States had no longer any control over them while the Northern States were trying to keep the Union together. Then the Northern States land a Beachhead on Cuba and Annex the Island as a new part of the Union (a Territory) in order to lock down the resources being sent to the Southern States in Wartime. And then some of the native Cubans fighting back against the North and the attacks being repelled, only to have some portion of Cuba declare allegiance to the Southern States.

Also the Civil War lasted for 300 years and the Southern States didn't let Cuba know that it was at war and their actions would probably result in Cuba getting attacked.

Now are you suggesting that the North should NOT have made war on the South in the American Civil War? That the very act of subjugating them with taxes and unequal representation gave the South every right to secede from the Union? The South, Cuba, and the Exiles would surely agree with you, while the Northern States of the Union and the Dominion would disagree.

Of course the same thing happened with the US and England a long time before that... Who was in the right is, eternally, subjective. The US was in the right because England was taxing them too heavily and not giving them a say in that taxation. The North was in the right because... Well...

Also "They Killed the Indigenous People" implies genocide. There's no Qualifier on quantity "Some" or "Most" or "Man" or "Half" just the people. It implies totality. "I ate the Cake" doesn't give you information on whether I ate the whole cake or a slice but the assumption is that I ate the whole thing.

-Rachel-
    Jefferson likes this.
  3. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

"As punishment for aiding the rebels, the Dominion declared unconditional sovereignty over the Aurin's forest kingdom and sent an army of devastating Planet Reapers to collect the empire's rightful due."

"The Aurin fought back courageously, but the Planet Reapers were monstrous mechanical resource harvesters designed to withstand all but the heaviest firepower. Suffering heavy losses, the Aurin were forced to fall back, helplessly watching the destruction of their beautiful, verdant homeworld."

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/races/aurin.php
  4. Steampunkette

There you go again. Murder. War. Fighting. Killing. These four words are not interchangeable. There's nothing in the lore about the Aurin being MURDERED.

They ATTACKED the machines and the crews. It's an escalation of violence that was responded to in kind.

Nope. It's WAR. It's BATTLE. It's COMBAT. People die in war but they're not murdered.

-Rachel-
  5. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

<Moderator growl> Okay.. seriously... everybody calm down! This is just a videogame, don't take it that seriously! I don't want to give out warnings and stuff. </Moderator growl>
  6. Steampunkette

I have the perfect solution!

There. Fixed. No more problems from me, on this topic!

-Rachel-
  7. Apostate

I'll leave it alone, too. Wouldn't want this fine thread to get locked.
  8. Bravadorado

Bravadorado Cupcake-About-Town

As I said in my post before it got removed, I'm going to bow out of this discussion before someone (including myself) says something unnecessary.

As a quick last point, for clarity, the reason you couldn't find anything about troops in that article was because I was using a different article. The more in depth one for Wildstar Wednesday, found here. It details Dominion military forces invading Arboria, not just the Planet Reapers.
  9. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Well this is a great example of what not to do going into this post, deducting that you didn't read much of the earlier comments, from the people who ended up replying to you. At least browsing over a few of the folk's comment throughout would have lead to clear up a few points restated several times. What really matters that is that it would have given you greater insight into the people you're replying with, and looks like you have applied plenty of ambition in that :) Continue on though, I enjoy reading what both sides have to say here...oh well looks like said discussion came to an end, shucks. In general, I agreed with your earlier posts more and your later posts less. Good contribution to the thread either way.

I was going to contest said point, but now that I see it was part of the heated discussion...guess I'll leave it alone. Actually have extended knowledge on subject here! And that isn't related to my Imperial AT-AT avatar.
    Jefferson and Myrrdhinn like this.
  10. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Usually, wars start when both sides see themselves as right.
    Jefferson and Apostate like this.
  11. Steampunkette

Yeah. Otherwise it tends to just be "Hey! You're Wrong!" and "Oh. Yep. Okay. Let's work this out."

Less bang bang more smooch smooch.

-Rachel-
  12. Apostate

As I said, leaving this alone. Wouldn't want to get this fine thread locked. Needless to say, I don't agree with your interpretation of the article -- you and I rarely, if ever, interpret things the same way. You know the drill: if it's something you feel is worth debating further, it can be debated privately.

Moving back to the topic of the thread for a moment, one of the things I look forward to learning more about is the stratification of Cassian society. We know that they're brutally authoritarian when it comes to putting down civil unrest, and they're clearly legalistic, but I'd be intrigued to see just how the Luminai/highborn/lowborn divides play out in practice. I wonder how rigid this is, how much upward (or downward)mobility there may be, and how divided each "caste" might be within its own ranks.

What I mostly wonder about is the general quality of life for non-aristocrats in the Cassian part of the Dominion, as I feel that has the potential to fuel the "moral ambiguity" engines by itself. If it's life in a police state, but everyone has nice homes, good jobs and are generally happy as long as they don't ask too many questions, it makes a better case for the whole "brutal and uncompromising but not necessarily -evil-" aspect of the faction. If the lowborn Cassians are an opressed underclass who lead lives of back-breaking labor and impoverished exploitation, without exception... well, cue up the Imperial March.
  13. Domi Dayglow

To change the subject a little and back to the whole original post about racial round up.....

I'm still curious about the lifespans of the races overall. It's been discussed only briefly across a couple dozen threads as individual posts before, but it's all really scattered.

I do remember that Mechari can be really old. Some over a thousand and more. But the rest, Carbine really hasn't revealed anything specific about their natural lifespans.
  14. Steampunkette

Well... For my speculation!

Humans: Normal Lifespans to Reality. Maybe extended through medical support, but not significantly over 100 years or so.

Luminai: Massively long lifespans, but not immortal. Somewhere in the 3-500 range, maximum.

Draken: Very short life span. Lots of children who become adults pretty quickly and die in their 60s at the latest.

Granok: Like everything about granok, their lifespans are Big.

Mechari: Functionally Immortal

Technozombies: Functionally Immortal

Chua: Easily top 300 years and look adorable for the first 150ish.

Aurin: Longer than Human, not quite as long as Luminai. I dunno, they could go full Elf.

-Rachel-
  15. Domi Dayglow

I would have thought the Chua as like hamsters and maybe half a normal lifespan, living to maybe 40, but a very hyperactive and inventive 40.
    Xlugon Pyro and Eluldor like this.
  16. Eluldor

Yes, from what I've seen characterized of them so far, I'd agree with them doing as much as possible in their shorter than average lifespan.

Would have to agree with the basics presented on the others. 4th Exile may be functionally immortal due to chemical/magical maintenance.
  17. Domi Dayglow

I could see them being a little senile and crazy after a few hundred years. Like, inventing a cannon that fires a beam that de-furs a Chua at thirty meters crazy.
  18. Steampunkette

I'm kind of expecting the Chua to go the Yoda route, myself.

Maybe even that they're not particularly intelligent, per-se, but instead have just spent SO MUCH time learning that they've got huge repositories of information in their tiny little heads.

Plus I kind of like the idea of a high Cassian household having a Chua retainer Tutor who teaches successive generations of the family.

-Rachel-
  19. Eluldor

I see the Chua as mad scientists with little wisdom. High intelligence and low well...wisdom for game stats. Yoda is high intelligent and even more wise. As I stated in my first post here, not a fan of your Chua/4th exile pairing one some matters :)

Due to their possible zombie like falling apart nature I see this very likely, especially if they don't get the right stims, however I'm not sold on them being scientists/inventors and placed as the Chua opposition.
  20. Domi Dayglow

Kind of like how most college professors are absolutely crazy? Brilliant minds, but not sane enough to realize that maybe making an orbital bombardment cannon, then using it to swat a bug, isn't a good idea. Even if it's a really pretty cannon and a very ugly bug.
    Eluldor likes this.