1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Racial Passives

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Ixath, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Ixath

Ixath New Cupcake

I feel that racial passives add a lot to the game, but often times you end up having a certain passive that is a must-have for a specific class. This leads to players being 'forced' to pick a specific class if they want to min/max their character. Or, passives become so bland that they are meaningless (5% fire resist, 5% air resist, etc.) Giving characters non- stat based passives seems to always work well. I like giving certain races night vision, slowfall, etc.

I also believe that games tend to dumb down race choice these days into being a purely cosmetic thing, versus them having any significant impact on game play. It doesn't matter if you're an orc, human, faerie, blob of goo, or whatever.. all characters in the game treat you the same way with the occasional dialogue difference here and there ("Hello good sir!" vs "You goo scum!") ..but ultimately, gameplay is not changed.

What are your thoughts on innate racial passives in games?
    Izukar likes this.
  2. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

For my part, I like races to mean more than just visuals - gives them a little flavour. Though I do know what you mean - it certainly pigeonholes certain race/class combinations (at least in the eyes of a min-maxer).

For all the potential drawbacks, I like it:) But what would you suggest for WildStar races? Here's my take...
    • Aurin - Coming from a forest homeworld perhaps could get a minor resistance to elemental damage and be able to sense nearby creatures (shown on the minimap)
    • Granok - Being the burly types should have a minor resistance to physical damage and perhaps a minor bonus to Strength
    • Humans - In most games they're the jack-of-all-trades so perhaps they could have an increase in starting stat points (the bonus number being less than the other races get in bonuses though, so they're not the go-to option for min-maxers)
  3. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I wish racials would increase with level/ability. If you have resistance to something, let it get stronger as your ability goes up, etc. As for what I would like to see, just a couple to add so far:

Aurin - Like mentioned, she comes from a forest world so why not the ability to discern different plants or forage naturally.
    Granok - How about mining ability increase since he seems to be made of rock he might come from a place that has knowledge of such things.
    Psistorm and Tawny like this.
  4. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

I like them too being an table top D&D gamer. In the MMO realm a lot of folks disapprove of this because they feel it twists their arm into rolling a specific race for a specific class. I remember in Rift during beta the races had passive bonuses which were geared towards certain class builds and then removed due to player feedback.

I personally have no problem with it, I also feel it has a place in a role playing game. Its like, if there was an rpg based on jungle animals and one of the classes were sprinter. Shouldnt I get a bonus if I choose a cheetah over a hippo?
    mockingfox likes this.
  5. Radiostorm

Radiostorm New Cupcake

I actually don't mind if the racial abilities disrupt character balance a little bit. When WoW was in beta, the game had awesome racial abilities. Undead has a slew of immunities and Tauren had plainsrunning (they could sprint as fast as a mount at higher levels). This was all undone before release, and the distinction between races felt watered down because of it.

Fun fact: In the early, early concept stages of WoW, night elves were restricted to specific classes based on their gender. Only males could be druids, and only females could be hunters and warriors. Cool, eh?
    Rai, Izukar and mockingfox like this.
  6. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Tracking, summon friend, port to friend comes to mind as awesome to me. All racials in EQ2.
    Draogon likes this.
  7. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

I've always liked the idea of racial passives. In an RPG it just makes sense. I would prefer if the traits didn't give an edge to class selection, though. I liked Zaps idea, and it makes sense that way and wouldn't be considered unfair across the playerbase. At least, it shouldn't.
  8. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I agree... A little more diversity rather than just cosmetic differences is key. But you don't want to pidgeon hole classes to being a specific race because it is theorycrafted to be "better".
  9. Frozenoak

Frozenoak Founding Member

I may disagree. I think Tanks should be huge hulking beings made of rocks and I think that Healers should be cute little fluffy things. I believe it feels natural to follow a huge tank into battle and be supported by something a little squishy. If the Granok were the healer it wouldn't feel right. I don't think there's anything wrong with pidgin holing certain race/class combos.
    Mudfin, Draogon and Sonja like this.
  10. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

I think racial passives are cool, but the problem is finding ones that 'work'. Pigeon-holing certain race/class/role combinations takes away some of the customization I think. Sure there will be a load of Granok Warriors around, but I don't think they should get any bonuses that makes them -THE- goto 'race' for that class. What about Aurin warriors?

Passives should be stuff that will work -regardless- of class or path.
  11. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

To piggy-back on this, what if the racial passives also coincided with the class? This way the Granok would be powerful, have a strength boost, and more HP, but an Aurin would say have better agility, better chance to dodge attacks, so in essence it'd be more defensive than a Granok. A Granok can take hits, but an Aurin can avoid them.
    Just something to think about.
  12. Tiktak

Hmm that'd be an interesting way of doing things but it's still pigeon-holing. what if someone wanted to make a 'bruiser' Aurin? all strength and heath. nothing stopping a granok being all agile and defensive either.

Should it be easy for either of them to 'go against' the established idea of their race? Hell no. Should it be possible? I'm pretty sure the devs have already said something along those lines before. IE: Hell yeah.

I'd still rather them be more 'away from class' things. Like even say a speed boost to Aurin might be a bit biased to make them more Explorery or more suited to [insert class A]

It's a tricky thing to balance.

Oh...I have an example for the human... % Bonus to their class's main stat maybe. Humans are all over the place but we focus really well when we put our minds to it. That's the kind of passives I'm thinking of. It doesn't matter what class or path the human is, ever even what level, the passive is -always- useful.
  13. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Sorry, I should explain better. I do think that people who want to be Warriors and Tanks should lean towards the Granok. The problem I don't want to see is kind of what happened to WoW right after TBC came out. Humans became the best race for any melee because they had a passive that increased their Sword and Mace skill by 5. That essentially gave them 1% more hit. That's a huge difference between races.

However, Gnomes got +5 int which in the long run didn't help them out, but at low levels made Gnome Wizards and Warlocks more powerful than Humans of the same class. It kind of pushed Gnomes toward being a magic class but didn't limit them to being ONLY magic classes.

Granoks should (imho) be the general choice for warriors, but if you choose a Human warrior, and there is a really good passive for Granok warriors, some guild won't let the Human warrior join because he doesn't have that extra hit because 100 hours ago he liked to "roleplay" as a Human rather than a Granok.
  14. Frozenoak

Frozenoak Founding Member

If they implement racial passives I believe that Humans should be the base line (no passives). Something like a Granok could conceivably have bonus to armor because his skin is natural armor (as compared to a human) but would have a hindrance to mobility or "grace". The Esper might have a bonus to casting but would take a hit to melee. That's not to say that an Esper couldn't take up a tanking role but they would have to use more agility or magic based defenses. It would be hard to balance but it could be done.
    JarNod likes this.
  15. Tiktak

I just think they should be things that don't imediately suggest "This race is best played as a [class]." or even particular specs of that class.
  16. Snaggles

Snaggles Cupcake

I liked it better when racial perks slightly advantageous but came with huge penalties.

EQ - Ogre:
    Pros: Front stun immunity, awesome stats.
    Cons: You got stuck in doorways all the time, required shrinking every time you zoned, evil race KOS in many places.

The WoW perception of "Racial Abilities" is just annoying. Most of them are kinda cruddy and the ones that are good made PvP'ing as any other race completely stupid.
    Mudfin likes this.
  17. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

Gonna have to go with no pigeon-holing due to race for end game.
    Meaningful passives that will not effect race selection other than preference would be really cool.
  18. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Passives are so boring though. I rather have something more active and unique. Back in WoW I choose my Dwarf Priest, just because of Fear Ward. I cursed for hours when they made that available for all priests ... It made my Priest unique and needed, because I was the only female Dwarf on my server. That spell saved our asses several times on Nefarion in Blackwing Lair.
  19. Treamer92

Treamer92 New Cupcake

What about having a wide range of passives, and choosing your own passives? such as a gronuk esper choosing a intelligence bonus instead of a strength bonus. This option of choice I think is what will make people most happy. So say I was that Granuk esper, and I took the strength bonus, it may have been wrong but it was my choice.
  20. Heaven'sExplorer

Heaven'sExplorer New Cupcake

I love the Idea for Racial Passive abilities however, like above I don't think it would pigeon hole any class. I mean if a granok was a healer and his passive was that he has a physical damage resistance, he could be a healer that can take some hits, like a paladin healer in WoW.

However I think Passive Racial abilities is a must for any game. But maybe they can also have non-battle racial abilities like Mining pluses for Granok, (herbalism thing) plus for Aurin, etc.

and give a supplement to the race, by allowing characters to choose a back-history that would change their personal passives, such as if you were chased all you life by the dominion your a traveler, and you move faster, or you better at stealth. Or if you were raised by mercenaries you have a higher weapon familiarity. Or your a farm-boy from another planet looking for a new life you receive a bonus to skills like farming, or stamina because you worked almost everyday from your history. That would give players the ability to play any race of any class because you could pick a back story that would fit a single class better.

That would make another hole for the pigeon to get out of so the player is not restricted with only the race passive, but have the option for making his personal passive tailor to their class. But they would have to make the personal passives more beneficial then the racial passive because then the problem would be the player chooses a race and a specific past story that is the "best" for a single class. EX. A warrior Granok raised with mercenaries, and the human settler with the back story of a farm-boy...etc, so the personal passive would have to entice the players to play diffrent classes that maybe to not match up to the race usual pick.

Thoughts...