1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Racial Passives

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Ixath, Dec 28, 2011.

1. SteveDiggler24

SteveDiggler24 Cupcake-About-Town

Yes! Call me Aurin Diggler because I won't roll anything else if I can unleash the wildnerness upon my enemies via bunnies & small birds!
  2. Optimisticnerd

Optimisticnerd Cupcake-About-Town

I think that racials are a very important thing in any MMO.

I feel like my choice of race should have a measurable impact on the way that not only myself, but on how everybody plays. I feel that if your choice of race has little to no bearing on your game play experience, it's a purely cosmetic feature. I really want Wildstar to feature races with racial abilities that have an impact, rather than racial abilities (like those in WoW) that might as well not even be there at all.

Though at the same time, I really do not want people feeling like they are forced to play a race to min/max their toon. For example, in WoW I played a hunter; if I wanted to max my DPS on the horde I would play a troll (and I always did), likewise if I wanted to max my dps on alliance I would play a worgen (which i did), however my preferred race on both sides respectively were Tauren, and Draenei. If I wanted to increase my healing performance I'd play a Draenei on my shaman, if I was horde I'd play a goblin (which i hated with a passion) for the haste buff. I felt like in that game (up until MoP) that I was forced to play a certain race according to what class I played.

If possible, I would like to see racials that have an impact, but at the same time don't force people to choose races according to their class/spec.

A way to accomplish this could work along the lines of the racial ability adjusting itself to your role. For example, take the new undead racial ability in WoW MoP, which has a chance to cause extra damage on hit, you could take this sort of racial and adjust it to have a chance to randomly cause extra healing on a successful healing spell, or a chance to increase defense for 5 seconds when hit with an attack. Similarly you could do something like changing a racial that give +1% crit to +1% haste for healers, and +1% evasion for tanks. Basically, giving races an ability that has an impact but at the same time the ability can change from role to role in order to accommodate the player. That's only a suggestion though.

TLDR; I really want racials that have an impact on actual game play, so choice of race actually matters, but at the same time I don't want the racial to force someone to play a race they don't like for said benefit.
  3. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

I asked about these things on the last AMAA on reddit and unfortunately the devs blew by it.
  4. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I hope that means they have stuff in the works they can't talk about, then, in regards to racial bonuses/weaknesses/skills. :)

... I wonder how Granok swim...
    Brenner, Kataryna and Goreshank like this.
  5. Optimisticnerd

Optimisticnerd Cupcake-About-Town

Very carefully. That's how.
  6. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

The words "sinks like a rock" come to mind.
    Patrician likes this.
  7. Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan Cupcake-About-Town

I dislike them if they effect game-play in any way. Little flavour things are fine, but I don't want to feel punished if I want to make a species/class choice that isn't 'sanctioned'. If there are passives that make a species a shoe-in for a certain class (or path, for that matter), why bother allowing that species more than one class choice in the first place?
  8. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

The ycould learn to evolve into pumice!
  9. Batzorig

Batzorig Cupcake-About-Town

I think Carbine have some interesting things they can do with racial abilities because of the limited action bar. Why don't you just give every race a power or two? This way, races can have abilities that are flavorful, but don't break the game, because those without them can fill in their action bar with abilities from their class.

As an example, let's say Granok have some sort of stone skin defensive cooldown, and the Humans do not have any defensive cooldowns. In a game like WoW, this makes the Granok an obvious choice, because they have 1 more defensive cooldown as a warrior tank than the Human warrior tank ever will. But with limited action bar, the Granok can have his racial ability and X-1 warrior abilities on his bar, while the Human can instead just have X warrior abilities, which could include an additional warrior cooldown from those available.

As long as the racials are not far and away better than class abilities all the time, and as long as the game doesn't support exclusively stacking as many of one type of power as you can, I think this can be balanced to the required degree, without total pigeonholing.

EDIT: Additionally, you could have certain races come with free 'milestone' abilities that are flavorful (see the stat allocation discussion http://wildstar-central.com/index.p...ts-and-putting-them-in-the-right-places.1749/ ), and again, with only 5 slots available, it just provides the favored race with more options, not more raw power.

EDIT 2: Aurin can't be warriors, corrected my example.
    Patrician likes this.
  10. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

I like that idea of scaling passives. Perhaps give each race a combat and non combat affinity. So the ones you described as far as non-combat goes, and some slightly more combat related ones that make them more suitable for certain things
    Dyraele likes this.
  11. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

This is sci-fantasy, meaning psychic powers and technology. Physical prowess may help you, but size can easily be overcome with tech... a.k.a. the stalker.
  12. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

I think racial bonuses should be:

a) enough of a bonus that is only makes a difference at low levels, and through experience and gear they become less and less important. This is usually done with a flat bonus if the game uses scaling stats.

b) some provide a fun OOC ability to give it more flavor
  13. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Just so you guys know, since this thread wasn't updated in a while, but Jeremy Gaffney dropped a hint in this video at about 46 minutes in.

Basically, they don't want players to feel like a choice they made in character creation permanently gimped them. So rather than Granok getting a strength-based racial skill that Aurin don't (for example); it will simply be more expensive for an Aurin to purchase that skill than a Granok.

That way, each race comes with their own unique perks while not totally forcing you to play a certain race/class combination. :)
    Brenner and Patrician like this.
  14. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

I always thought the "this race has a tiny edge on this particular profession" passives were quite nice.
  15. Dragon[SVG]

Dragon[SVG] Cupcake-About-Town

I definitely feel that creating racial passives that are beneficial to combat are really detrimental to diversity in races. I think flavor passives, similar to the cooking buff on Pandaren, is the way to go. It is something that adds depth the race and also gives you something that sets you apart from other races without making you better for raiding or pvp.
  16. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

That's honestly the best way to do it right there. It sort of implies to me that certain races wih certain bonuses will always be possible, but still rare due to the expense (depending on what that expense is, of course) ;)
    InnocentCivilian likes this.
  17. DrShemp

DrShemp Cupcake

I don't exactly mind racial traits but I've never been a huge fan of racial passives that force min maxers to roll a specific race/class combo.
  18. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

On one hand I like racials, they add that little extra flavour, but on the other hand I hate it when the racial of x class is clearly better for my class or playstyle, but I really prefer the look of y class. I always end up choosing looks over racials, but it makes me feel a bit gimped. I don't think the racials should have too big of an impact on the actual gameplay (if at all), I'd rather see stuff like race specific mounts, cosmetics and titles.
  19. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

I feel like racials have become this one thing MMOs feel they should add but then end up not knowing what really to do with it. And if they end up making one racial better than the other, they better prepare for a massive QQ on the forums. Personally I feel that unless the racials are meaningful, don't give one race a huge advantage over the other and aren't just a copy pasta onto every race with a different flavor text, it shouldn't be a top priority to look at.
  20. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake