1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Racial Passives

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Ixath, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

In WoW vanilla and BC races had limited class options. If you wanted a druid it had to be tauren or night elf. Tauren had a passive for herb gathering and alchemy proficiency. This meant you could pretty much expect what skills the toon would have without ever talking to him, which a lot of people like but was ultimately revamped because there wasn't enough variety. Some people said it felt 'stagnant' because healers were always the same thing. Later in WoW Cata this inadvertently came back; tauren got a bigger gathering speed buff which meant that if five people were racing to the same herb node and the tauren was the last person to click it he still had about an ~80% chance to be the one person to harvest it successfully.

Unsurprisingly, all Tauren herbalists loved it while everyone else went into nerd rage. If you saw a tauren in your zone you just didn't gather that day.

From wowwiki:
    [Cultivation] : Adds a 15 point skill bonus to Herbalism as well as increases the speed you can gather herbs. (Note, this also raises the cap by 15 at each level of herbalism). Faster gathering speed added in [​IMG]
  2. Virtual On

Virtual On Cupcake

Racial passives/abilities are a "bad idea."

The average consumer doesn't want to be worse at x role because they are y race. They want to perform the same as z race.

Speaking purely from Rift, in testing the Kelari(I think it was them, the dark elvish looking people?), had a racial ability in testing that would give them 100% crit chance for their next 5 skills, decreasing by 20% for every crit.

Like, every other race had something that was powerful, but if you wanted to do anything DPS related you needed to be that race, on that specific faction.

Eventually it was just changed to elemental resistances(which people still complained about, but only that was only at the top of the top and had no real bearing on the general public). That's boring, you may as well not even have racial passives/abilities.

It wasn't just the "min/maxers" that people always complain about. People mimic the top. They take strategies, they take builds, they take what WORKS and what works BEST/EFFICIENTLY. This can be seen in any online game, from Monster Hunter, to Rift/WoW, to games like League of Legends.

Sadly, that is what the market is.

What I honestly want, and suggested in Rift testing, is to keep all of these strong Racial abilities but let us choose what we want from the pool. While this may not be a racial ability, it can just be re-named to something like a "starting ability." It lets one person customize and specialize their character, but still allowing for that choice.

In the absence of a choice, mandatory inequality is a bad idea. However much you want to differentiate races, it needs to have no impact on numbers. It needs to be flavor, it needs to be fluff.

Any other way, and you'll have an uproar on the forums. You'll have an uproar from your consumers.

If someone wants to aim for a different market, all power to them, but in general an MMO is not the way to go for this. With the cost of an MMO, both in the up-keep and on-going development, you need money. you have to be ready to not make as much money, if at all, by trying to reach a niche audience.

There does have to be a line drawn, but both sides have to realize that neither side is right. There has to be a compromise.
  3. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

I do like them as well, an extra attack, an inherit ability to do something a little better, running or jumping. as long as its not so powerful like Human's in WoW getting a FREE trinket ability allowing for 2 item trinkets for extra power. This made tons of people roll humans because of that one ability makes them very powerful with huge advantage.

Maybe give every race a couple duplicate abilities and a couple unique.

Every class gets temp flight ability like Draken can grow temp dragon wings and fly around or use them to glide, and have similar fly/gliders unique to each race...

Then have unique inherit abilities like Aurin can run faster due to their slender agile builds and every 30 seconds can tripple jump... maybe go further and on the 3rd jump they pause in air with enough time to do 1 ranged attack.

Mechari are not affected by no oxygen enviroments and take very little dmg from bleed/poison effects every 3 minutes for 10 seconds activate... maybe go further and give them an ability to use ranged lazer beam from eyes to dmg or stun enemies.

Just as long as its not a click this button to remove all effects from character and make them immune for x amount of time.

I know these are horrible examples but maybe a more creative mind can come up with Racials that are not OP ingame that will draw people to a race they dont like but want because the racials.
  4. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

I do support racials, but it's crucial that they're balanced. It sucks to see almost every PvP char be of a certain race, and every PvE char of another. I'd rather have the racials be utterly pointless over being something that will grant them an obvious advantage in certain aspects of the game. I think WoW racials are (or were, haven't played for a long time) a bad example of how racials should be done, there's almost always a given answer to what race you should roll to perform your role the best in PvE/PvP.
    Plix likes this.
  5. Methios

Methios Cupcake

As long as they are balanced with the other racial abilities I don't care.
  6. Outlaw

Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Personally, I'm in the "no racials" bunch. When I choose my race I'm only interested in what Faction they are and what they look like. If they don't have the best racial skill then I'm just at a disadvantage. It doesn't usually upset me too much because I don't mind a handicap, but it'd be nice to not have to worry about that in the first place.

Only thing that upsets me with different races is if the game has much better drops for an opposing race and locks that gear to that faction (by not allowing other races into the zone or locking it by race).
    Laban likes this.
  7. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

Thats true too.. My only hope is that 1 factions gear doesnt look soooo much cooler then the other. In wow i was horde and love their gear/mounts style majorly.. the alliance gear was too boring and crappy looking. I really really hope the weapons/armor looks equally awesome in WildStar
  8. Allstar

Allstar New Cupcake

Racial abilities should be purely cosmetic. The only restriction place on a player's choice of race should be class-selection, but even this can sometimes feel unnecessary and really depends on flavour/lore (à la WoW vanilla class restricitons, no Night Elf Mages, Forsaken Paladins etc for very clear lore reasons)

Me? Cassian master-race, of course.
  9. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Im going to repost this in this thread since folks are missing it :

So a racial advancement system with some stuff being cheaper for one race but ultimately you can do what you want.
    moneda and Tiberius like this.
  10. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

I believe I have heard of this... lets say Aurin and Granok want a certain item.. the item requires a stat that the Granok has more points in due to his race... well the aurin can get that same item but will have to work just a little harder to achieve it. I could be wrong but i sware I heard something like that in a video.
  11. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Yup pretty much like that. Pick what you like or fits your playstyle.
  12. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, the carbine guys seem to have built a cool system. It reminds me of creating DnD/ShadowRun characters. There are the archetype builds such as fighter, face, mage, etc and each race has unique benefits, but even though trolls are known for being incredibly stupid my friend somehow made a troll face. It was the goofiest character and he had to work hard at it, but it was theoretically possible.

The type of racial unique abilities I like would along the lines of the Worgen Darkflight in WoW. It was a 40% boost in move speed for 20 sec, with a 2 min cooldown. Really useful in PvP and PvE, but it wasn't going to outright win you the game. It was a special "oh <REDACTED>" button you could use on occasion.
  13. mmimzie

mmimzie New Cupcake

Doesn't this game have limited ability bar space??? only 7 abilities equipped at time??? So that means any activated racial has to be worth sacrificing one of your abilities. Thus i think it really doesn't matter. unless the racials are amazing or your class doesnt have 7 amazing abilities.

On a final note their are race class restrictions i think every race outside of human/casians will be restricted fromat least 2 of the classes.
  14. ShadowNugget

ShadowNugget Cupcake

So this has been eating at me for a while but I just thought I would ask. Have Carbine actually confirmed racial abilities or is it all just speculation at this point?
  15. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

16. mmimzie

mmimzie New Cupcake

thank you so much for the info. So they need to have at least 10 really important abilities to nullify the effect of a decent racial.

I'd have to say wow is probably the most natorious for having the most "OP" racials??? and if they had limit hot bar that wouldn't be an issue, but with macros and tons of hot bar buttons and key binds, every ability available can easily be used in combat (given it doesn't take a casting time). Such as that Orc blood lust and dwarf stone skin
  17. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

The more I think about this the more I think it's still 7 class abilities. I don't recognize the ability on the far left but it looks like it could be a revised picture of the stealth ability.

Most recent word we had was 7 class abilities + 1 innate and 1 path ability if they added a race-specific ability slot that would account for the 10 spaces on the action bar, while keeping with the most recent information we have about number of class abilities usable.
  18. Impaler

Impaler Cupcake

Racial passives/skills should not be class boosting ones. Tradeskill/fluff is fine.
  19. skofan

skofan Cupcake

i know exactly what you mean. it just feels wrong following a gnome tank into battle!
  20. Belyal

Belyal New Cupcake

Might have been said already but certain Races cannot be certain classes... Sorry no Auran Warriors...