1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Racial Rivalries

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Xlugon Pyro, May 27, 2013.

1. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

In many game worlds, not just the factions themselves but the races and sub-factions within have the most heated relationship with another race/sub-faction in the opposing faction. One of the best examples for this is World of Warcraft.

The greatest of these rivalries is between the heads of their respective factions: the humans of the Alliance vs. the orcs of the Horde. Everything begins and ends with these two squaring off and they act as the pinnacle of the conflict between the two factions as a whole.

Other noteworthy rivalries exist between the tech-savvy gnomes and goblins, the ancient imperials in the night elves and trolls, the shadowy worgen and undead, the magical draenei and blood elves, and the burly dwarves and tauren.

In the Wildstar universe, there are likely to be these very same racial rivalries. Perhaps it'll be due to a clash of values and ideologies, or perhaps two races have a mixed and unpleasant history between each other. Whatever the reason, what races do you all think will be a rival pair? I think it's fairly clear to say that the humans and cassians will be each other's most heated rivals, but what about the rest? Tell me your thoughts!
  2. Coolio

Coolio New Cupcake

Aurin vs Draken.

I cant see them just not getting along. Their views are way too different.
    Nature lovers vs Savages.
  3. Xlugon Pyro

They're also both the "animal" races.

It would be interesting to see a hostile relationship develop between the draken and aurin.
  4. Mr_Wayne

Mr_Wayne Cupcake

I can see them all hating each other but the ones that stick out to me are :
    Granok vs Mechari
    Humans vs Cassians
  5. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

In a way I can see each of the races having a heated relationship vs one other rather than WoW's model where it really revolved more around Orcs vs Humans. As most of the other members had mixed views of the opposing faction (Hell the taurens didn't really hate anyone, in fact they were in a way neutral- except vs the humans who tried to kill them and ravage their land, in the same way the night elves had vs the orcs.)

I could see each faction having their own sparing partner rather than one giant spar with friends behind them.
  6. Shalanigh

Shalanigh Cupcake

Cassians versus everyone!
  7. Xlugon Pyro

Cassians versus the world (galaxy)!!!
    Shalanigh likes this.
  8. Outburstz

Outburstz Cupcake-About-Town

Well if you look at the lore of each of the factions you can see what the main rivalry is since it is what kicked off the whole Dominion vs Exile beef which was the humans vs humans or better yet high born Human (Cassians) vs low born humans . The human exiles rebelled against the high born Cassians humans after crack downs and firing on their own people. This conflict I believe is the only one (from the Dominion's point of view) that can be classified as a main adversary.

The Cassians ( more directly the Dominus) view anyone that gets in the way of their divine right to rule as an enemy. It does not matter if those people are other humans or not. They see the different species of the world in the sort of either join us or be crushed. That sort of black and white way of thinking leads to many enemies.

The Draken really don't have a main adversary they see everyone as prey to be hunted. They merely attack who ever the Dominion asked them too in the name of honor. Even those that are not apart of the Exiles are viewed in the same light when it comes to the Draken. They are a proud hunting race that looks for the thrill in conquering good prey who ever that may be.

The Mechari are similar in the fact that they view any one who threatens the Dominion as their main enemy since their whole point of their creation is to make sure the Dominion survives. There might be a small adversary/rival/hatred for the Garnok because the Mechari were sent to bring them into the Dominion and they failed in their mission which I am sure upset them as much as the Emperor. The only question left is do the Mechari truly serve the Dominion or do they serve the Eldan.

The exiles as a whole all hate the Dominion for their own reasons. Other then the low born humans who were once Cassian they can be the only ones that have historical reason to hate a Dominion race directly so far.
    So in conclusion this is how I see the rivals in game so far

Cassians vs anyone who gets in the way of the empire
    Draken vs prey and who ever the Dominion say
    Mechari vs anyone who threatens the Dominion(slight hatred for Garnok)

Exile humans vs Dominion( Cassin high borns)
    Garnok vs Dominoin no one race in particular
    Aurin vs Dominion no one race in particular
  9. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

Honestly? I think our speculation is pretty well Moot until the final two races are revealed. With that said: Here's my speculation!

Aurin-Mechari.
    The Aurin are Nature Loving Tree Hugging Hippies. But that doesn't mean they're passive or inaggressive. After all, the Aurin in the "Meet the Exiles" video was ready to assume a threatening posture to "Protect" her tail. They are also animalistic in design. I will readily admit that the only other Aurins we've seen have been espers, but they can also be Stalkers. Which is a very "In your Face" murdery style of combat. Sure they don't sling big swords, but that doesn't mean they're pacifists.

The Mechari on the other hand exist only as a damage to nature itself and exist outside of the natural order. To create a Mechari you must mine ore, then smelt that ore with great heat requiring a lot of fuel. That fuel is organic, so right away you're killing something or profiting off the death of something a long time ago. And then: They don't eat. They don't sleep. They aren't flesh and bone but metal and plastic. Rather than living with any form of harmony with nature they exist completely outside of it. I imagine for an Aurin that must be disconcerting.

Granok-Draken.
    The Draken are an honor-bound race with a strong caste system in their life styles. Clan lords and fealty, almost Feudal in structure. They lean towards mysticism and barbaric acts of violence within a structured set of rules. They very likely have a codified set of honorific laws to keep their society from tumbling into constant chaos and blood feuding. As such violence is a sacred act. If someone insults your mother you are allowed to beat him up X amount before your actions are viewed as dishonorable. That sort of thing.

The Granok, on the other hand, are big dumb brutish rock monsters who fight for money. The very thought has to be pretty antithetical to the Draken societal structure. Here is violence perverted for personal gain with no honor in it. A man who will honorlessly kill for money is hardly worthy of respect.

And then the Cassians and the Humans to me seem very much like an extrapolation of Class Warfare taken to violent extremes. The Privileged and the Underprivileged fighting to get out their frustrations.

That's my take on it. Though I imagine the remaining races may throw it out of whack!

-Rachel-
  10. Nesphito

Nesphito Cupcake

I think the biggest rivalry will be Human vs Cassian or in general the whole Dominion vs the Exiles.

Draken just want to fight anything and Mechari look down on every race in the game. I don't think we will see many rivalries between any of the other races, we might see one between the Aurin and Chua (if this is the next Dominion race).
  11. Inimicus

Inimicus Cupcake

If it is to be Chau as the last Dominion race i can see the Aurin being very unhappy with the way they do things.

I look at the Chau as that kid that steps on an ant to see what happens, then when the goody goody tells him not to (the Aurin in this case) he stomps the nest just to prove a point.
    FlameStick likes this.