1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Raid size speculation

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Nexrus, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nexrus

Nexrus New Cupcake

We learned a while back that WSO raids would feature more than one size. Today's Uplink Analysis also confirms that they are still testing a number of different raid sizes.

I'm fairly certain that 40 is almost set in stone. What other raid sizes do you guys think we will see?My guess would be 20's.
  2. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

3. Karl Pedder

Karl Pedder Cupcake-About-Town

I'm still not a huge fan of WSO including 40 person raids it's a lot of people to organize and has always felt like it is really just an attempt to force large groups of people to work togethor. I always found that it resulted in guilds being too big, which in turn created guild cliques and the rubbish that comes with them. Plus you tended to need about +50% min of the raid size to reliably compensate for non attendance and the like which often resulted in people being left out and recruiting to the point where you could field multiple raids didn't alleviate the problems if anything it just created a B team.....
  4. Baeldan

Baeldan Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah I really wish they'd made 10 or 15 man versions. Even 20 is a tad too large for me.
  5. Slyndria

Slyndria Cupcake-About-Town

40 man raids give me flash backs of Wow Raiding, watching 10 players sit afk at the entrance, during trash, after trash, during the boss, after the boss..... you get the drift!
  6. Karl Pedder

We had an off tank go and take a shower in the middle of a raid once. When asked why he didn't have a shower before the raid his response was indicative of the problems I mentioned above. "Because if I had a shower first I might have missed my raid invite..."
  7. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

Lol it was fun working out who was on /follow attempting to slack and getting them killed by patrols/environmental hazards though.
    Post-Vanilla WoW when was in a higher end guild there never was that issue (admittedly only 25 man raiding then but for world bosses the full 33 person guild would turn up) - usually everyone was hanging about outside the raid 30 mins or more before start time raring to go :D
    Just depends on the guild + people that's all.

On topic - so long as it's at least 20 man for that 'epic' feel I'll be happy, sizes in addition to that (smaller or larger) are fine by me but then I'm just a total slapper when it comes to raids - I'll take anything :inlove:
    moneda likes this.
  8. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

Haha.. I remember guys on follow in ZA :D
    16bitbandit likes this.
  9. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

That says more about the players in those guilds then about the raid sizes. In my guilds those players would not have survived at all. Get good dedicated players and you won't have this problem.

To add. So far 20 and 40 men raid sizes have been confirmed, but will not share the same designs. So no 20 or 40 men versions of the same raid. This means when you're not able to get 40 men together on one evening due to irl things you can always aim to go do a 20 men raid instead.
    Yakzan and JarNod like this.
  10. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

So many good memories. :cry:
  11. Nexrus

Nexrus New Cupcake

I've agreed with almost every decision the dev team has made up until this point. However, I just don't understand requiring people to raid with 40 players to see certain content. It's not really fair to the people that prefer smaller guilds, and that's a pretty good percentage of your players.

I'm not alone with my concerns. I've seen several comments and threads with other people voicing the same concerns. I really hope were missing some information or they change their minds.
    Hope likes this.
  12. Karl Pedder

I just don't feel 40 man really adds anything that couldn't be achieved with 20 beyond encounters that require X amount of Tanks and Y amount of Healers. I feel that it just exacerbates the worst aspect of the trinity (don't get me wrong as much as i thought I would like it the lack of the trinity in GW2 didn't end up being as good as i thought it was going to be...) , that being the unfortunate fact that most players perfer to dps which creates an environment where healers and more so tanks almost end up in a upper class.
  13. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Large raids have an epic feeling unlike anything else in gaming, and when that team coordination comes together on that scale it's a beautiful thing.

Also too, even though this is a trinity game, its a different combat style, more akin to Guild Wars 2. I always thought raiding in GW2 could be awesome because it could be completely different fights from what we were all used to in WoW, but everyone poo-poo'd the idea of raiding as soon as they heard the word because that's all they know.

I'm glad Carbine is bringing back large raids, and especially because they're also making a huge concerted effort to offer other end game as well - solo and PvP. So no one is left out.
    Yakzan likes this.
  14. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

But that swings both ways. It's not fair to exclude players who love 40 man from seeing content just because some people don't like it.

It has to be all types for all sorts. Everyone should agree on that. It's the implementation that's the real problem.

I think you can solve it by having 20 man and 40 man Tiers both equal and sharing loot tables (except for skins). The 40 man has twice as high a drop rate as the 20 man, or drops twice as much loot per boss.
    Yakzan and JarNod like this.
  15. Karl Pedder

I guess it's all subjective but I did plenty of 40 man raids and having 20 less people didn't make it feel less epic it just made easier to organize. Personelly I felt that the smaller raid sizes meant it was harder for people to be carried but hey...

Bolded part is what would spoil this for me if it's really the 40 man epic feel folks love there really shouldn't even need to be a visual distinction between loot as that would force players that want 40 man models to raid 40 man and contrawise people who love 40 man would have to do 20 mans to get models they might like.

Hell for me it wont matter it sound like the different raid sizes will be actual unique content so i will end up wanting to do both regardless of loot but that still irritates me somewhat.
    Hope and Draogon like this.
  16. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

I wouldn't mind a 10man just so it's easy to get a few peeps together on alts and clear it when we've done the 40mans for the week.
  17. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

It's exactly that way, anyone who thinks smaller raids aren't harder in a like for like situation are kidding themselves. You might only have 1 of a certain class you need to do something compared to the 4 in 40 or when a DPS is sucking and is pulling 2k less DPS then they should be you notice, same with HPS on healers.
  18. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

The game world needs flavour. Having the exact same skin drop in two completely different instances.. it's too sterile. To me it says, 'I can't have that skin, so I don't want anyone else to'.

Not the sort of attitude I have personally. But each to their own.

Variety is the spice of life as they say ;)
    John, Yakzan and JarNod like this.
  19. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

the higher the number, the less accountability an individual has. i recall all my times in 40 mans, most of the people taking part might as well have been AI or bots due to their contribution to the raid.

to a point everything just blends together, and the accomplishment is less epic and personal. thats just my point of view though.
  20. Karl Pedder

It's not that rather it's "I want that skin so I have to engage in content I otherwise would rather not do" especially since there is often a tendancy towards making the 40 man stuff look more impressive which well like I say above is often not actually indicative of the effort involved.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.