1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Raiding Lockouts for Elder Game

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Pudge, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Pudge

Pudge New Cupcake

Hey Wildstar Community,

Im really looking forward to playing elder game and raiding. One of the questions that i have developed over the past couple of days is what type of raid lockout will Wildstar have. I was wondering if there is any information on the type of raid lockouts they have for the different type of raids? Are they all going to be a week like World of Warcraft or are they going to incorporate a newer system?

Thanks
  2. aiuradun

aiuradun Cupcake-About-Town

Wildstar haven't really released too much information about raids yet, but i would imagine some kind of lockout would be in place in order to "slow" progression.

Did you have any idears on a newer system in mind yourself?
  3. Markerlight

Markerlight New Cupcake

I for one would love to hear more about the "Million Moron March" or similar, and if they are going to go ahead an implement it, because that sounds like a brilliant and fresh idea.
  4. Destrin

Destrin Cupcake

With how Carbine is approaching raiding I really do not think this 'Million Idiot March' is a good idea. They talk about exclusivity in raiding, but having 200 people on one boss seems a little contradictory. I really do think it would be good for testing but as for game launch it would go against their mantra.

As for raid lockouts, I suspect a standard 1 week reset timer.
  5. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

There's going to be a weekly competition so expect weekly lock outs. As the end of the competition most likely points out the reset day.
  6. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

No information about 90% of the game.

So wait for the NDA to be lifted, for real information to drop.
  7. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Mel, what's wrong? Haven't seen you this negative before....something happend? (genuine concerned)
  8. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

To the OP:

So, I'd imagine they have a lockout on possible loot drops, but as for actually going in and fighting bosses, they may not have lockouts on that.

I say this for one reason, and that is, because they want a continuous competition for "speed runs." Since the raids are somewhat dynamic, they will have a leaderboard for the "fastest to complete the raid." This means how long the entire run took, not the first to clear the content.

So, as you can see, it's possible they implement multiple clears of the raid per week because of this, but you only get loot on the first run. Of course this will be partially determined by how often the raids change, and how they decide to do the competitive speed run system.
    Pudge likes this.
  9. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

So, I'd like to disagree here. I think as long as they limit the number of times you can actually do that, it could actually be a really good system. For now, let's say you can only do this once per month, and it's on a weekend that you can do this. Possibly even make it so you can't get gear from it, but just be "in on the raid."

This could be used as a tool for recruiting, and getting in those players in the guild who don't plan on raiding seriously, or are in on the bench and haven't seen the team. This way guilds don't have to waste raid spots, or run a whole other raid to test out trials, and they can quickly recruit entire teams with benches and all for their normal raid schedules. This would be extremely important to help with the 40 man logistics problem, it also shrinks the "gap to entry" of those looking to raid.

Additionally it allows players to "tag along" an actual raid group without bringing down the performance of the team. This means that one friend who's just terrible at the game, who regularly wouldn't be invited to raid gets to see the actual mechanics. It can also be used to teach another raid team the strategy used, as the mechanics are real, and not just some dumbed down version of the same boss (looking at you LFR).

If you were able to run it once a week, that's way too often, but once a month or less is enough to allow it to be used for massive recruiting efforts, guild alliances, appeasing social members, and unity of the community. Does it hurt the exclusivity of raiders? Yes, somewhat, but if the players weren't able to get gear from the raid, it'd still be preserved to a great extent.
  10. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

My guess is that we'll see raid lockouts and probably on a weekly basis. WoW set the precedent and WildStar is taking off of vanilla WoW. Along with having a crew full of veteran WoW devs, I expect raiding schedules to be very similar to WoW.
  11. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

Sorry life is a bit stressful atm. Mostly RL issues Healthcare cost and the threats to the job markets. If Carbine could push the game out sooner then later I think I would be in a better mood. As of right now I dont have a lot to look forward too in life. Things will be better in 6 months when I can release myself into this MMO and forget RL for a couple of hours a night.

Maybe I should be medicated to fit into society? Sad Panda....
  12. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

being medicated is nothing to be ashamed of. i am and i am fine . if you need help get help . seriously .
  13. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

I believe that 4 hours a night of epic MMOing would solve all my issues.
    Heapsgood likes this.
  14. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

to each his own :D
  15. Saybel

Saybel Cupcake

If the devs are listening. I hope they hear this. I understand why games have raid lockouts I do. I think they are nessecary but.... don't block us from doing the raid over just prevent us from collecting gear. Allow us to re play the raid for stuff for our houses that drop and fun.
  16. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I'm not sure if you fully do understand, it's not just to prevent loot farming. They are promoting a hardcore competitive endgame, they have to have restrictions to curb burnout. It might sound silly, but the world ranking guilds already go above and beyond normal gameplay to beat the competition, unlimited attempts at bosses would lead to too much of that, even if the lower progressed guilds wouldn't do that, the top guilds would feel pressure to, and that's not healthy.
    Leviathain likes this.
  17. Saybel

Saybel Cupcake

The only reason hardcore competitive guilds run raids over and over would be for the loot that the bosses drop. Raid lockouts don't stop attempts but just save you to that raid. A hardcore raiding guild reseting bosses they have already killed and beating them over and over for no extra gear other then house <REDACTED> and fun would not disrupt competitive play.
  18. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

I would be fine with the marches, with a few caveats. If nothing else it might be a chance for a few guilds to work together, who otherwise would not have a reason to play with one another. Have different achievements/rewards, probably not gear, for marches vs. what is obtained for clearing a raid with the correct size group. Set up a time frame where raids would be locked to marches until so many days after a raid's first clear (world or server first).
  19. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I thought about this after I posted, and was thinking the same, that they probably wouldn't do it for cosmetic things.
  20. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

I don't have a problem. Actually i find it interesting as we can see how many unorganized players it takes to kill a hard raid boss that an organized guild can kill. I would expect there may be many fights where the more people these raids adds the harder it becomes for them to make a kill. As long as they limit the drops for doing this or make these special events I have no problem with it. Overall I think its a great idea as it could get many people involved in raiding and wanting to look for a more organized guild.

I would love to see a spectator mode for these type of raids. Similar to the spectator mode they plan for PvP warplot matches. For that matter I would like to see a spectator mode for all raids.

As to raid lockouts I agree I would expect a 1 week timer.