1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Raids looting system - Need vs Greed?! REALLY?! (Seperate loot on smaller mobs?)

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Exquise, May 25, 2013.

1. Exquise

Exquise New Cupcake

The problem with that, however is this really removes any social interaction. What I mean is (please correct me if I'm wrong) you appear to be the type of player who prefers to do the... 'roleplay' aspects in games, and generally plays solo but will talk with guild/ friends a lot, probably on skype too - nothing wrong with that, don't get the wrong idea.

In saying that, for us players who would rather banter on Skype than roleplay with our friends around the world - my accent is a constant target for abuse amongst my friends - want to be rewarded for playing with eachother if there's ... 6, 7, 8 people roaming around killing things together. that many people won't fit in to a party, which in turn means with mob tagging.. we don't get rewarded for that.
    Mind you, everytime I've run around with even 5 people, mobs tend to have little to no challenge...
  2. Menchi

Menchi Cupcake-About-Town

Well, you could always convert the party to a raid if you run with that many people. And honestly, waiting for NM spawns in FFXI generated quite a bit of social activity. Whether it was striking deals with fellow campers (the most common form you would see. Great community) or shizz talking because one of the groups has already claimed it a couple times (NMs did not have guaranteed drops, at all.)

Despite how "inconvenient" FFXI was, and it really was rough, it still had the greatest community I've ever seen in an MMO by far. A lot of the game was also centered around NM and HNM hunting, so the claim that this system diminishes a game community, simply isn't true.
  3. The Hallows

The Hallows New Cupcake

Well, <REDACTED>. I thought "greed" was stronger than "need"... like everyone in your party picks need and then one guy decides to be greedy and wins out, in a rock-paper-scissors kind of way. The folks in Neverwinter must think I suck.

No wonder I kept getting tonnes of <REDACTED> I didn't want. Sigh.
  4. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

Need greed is the best system out there and it works, as said you will get asshat ninja looters, best find a guild and try do most things with them, in time you will also build a few good circles of players you know you can rely on to be honest.
  5. Menchi

I definitely concur. The Need/greed system works, and making it so only certain classes can "Need" on certain pieces of gear does quite a bit to halt ninjas in their tracks. Is it "limiting?" Yep, and in a good way.
    So here's another +1 vote for the need/greed system.
  6. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

If I go in a dungeon with randoms I normally wait for the first drop. If a 'need' pops up where it shouldn't (like a mage needing on strength gear) then a precedent is set and I need on sight. If the party can behave, then it's greed.

Trying to lay down ground rules at the start of a dungeon is pointless, even more so in a cross-realm environment.
    tubthumper likes this.
  7. Exquise

Exquise New Cupcake

No disrespect, but ff (stereotyping here) is under the anime style genre... For he most part: role players. The community of role players really is a lot better than your general community. Despite the Internet dating and drama they do have.

In saying that, we can not compare ff and wildstar because wildstar isn't released yet. Not to mention, this games population won't be 80% role players. So the community won't be near what ff had.

Sent from my iPod, so not everything here will nake sense (waking up super early for work yay...)
  8. Inimicus

Inimicus Cupcake

The EPGP system i explained in an earlier post is exactly this, a fairer version of DKP with a built in decay
  9. MrWASDclick

MrWASDclick Cupcake

Weird, because my experiences in FFXI involved zero roleplayers.

But you do have it right that roleplaying communities tend to be better off than competitive communities when it comes to friendliness. CoH was a great example, where the Virtue server was absolutely awesome, though some jerks did come in when the game went F2P, but they also quickly left. The forums were also really good too, and many of them were from different servers. There was no real competiton between players in that game, as loot was individually determined, PvP was largely ignored because it was horribad, and the best content was designed to be tackled by a group (PUGs were sufficient most of the time.)

You needed a good community when the F2P conversion brought tons of people in mapchat saying "Healer LFG." In a game where healing was so secondary compared to damage output, CC, buffing, and debuffing... So there wound up being a lot of players who had to learn how the game worked, which meant a lot of patience and good community players.
  10. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

Making everyone feel like they are the special mega awesome hero that can do everything is what is ruining MMO's.

even the storyline of MMO now days narrate that you are special and the only one who can save the world.

Loot is just trhown around like it's free, everyone get's rewarded for everything they do

got to a world boss when he was at 10% life? no worries here some epic loot!.

i rather have to work for my progession then have it work by itself.

maybe that's just me
    Menchi likes this.
  11. Menchi

Like someone else mentioned, my experience in FF involved zero role-playing or even chatting with any role-players, and I played for a good six years.
    Also, Tera was pretty anime-style, and its community was fairly lackluster. Maybe we've just reached a point in MMO history where good community doesn't exist anymore? (Unless I go back to FFXIV:ARR)
    And no, we can't really compare the communities yet, but no one really is comparing Wildstar and FF communities. I was comparing FF to WoW, Rift, etc.

We can't even judge off of the forum community, sadly. Other than the Reddit forums, I really enjoy most of what I see on these forums. (Reddit is its own special case. Always will be.) However, I pretty much felt the same way about Tera's forums before release, and it ended up being kinda meh. Still better than WoW's at least. :/
  12. Exquise

Exquise New Cupcake

Oh, I never played FF or Terra, so I was only assuming.

Well the Gw2 community is amazing. So many people are friendly and helpful there.
  13. Nunya

Nunya New Cupcake

Holy cow, you are calling WoW clunky but apparently not SWTOR? You may not like WOW but it was absolutely not clunky... It had the smoothest, free-flowing combat of any MMO to date. Just because your hating on something don't make stuff up.
  14. Gimpeyes

Gimpeyes New Cupcake

No matter what kind of system is put into the game, I'm sure Carbine will make sure it benefits the server community more then anything. It's an MMO after all, and for the most part, don't we all play an MMO to interact with others? The need/greed systems works. It has it's flaws, but it works. The world mob tagging works, but lets be honest, no one likes sitting around and waiting while playing a game. They want to be involved, and keep the action going. So for me personally, I don't think the shared mob tagging is a bad thing. Just my opinion though. Everyone plays differently.
  15. Exquise

Exquise New Cupcake

I said it felt clunky to ME. And I also said that about SW:TOR in another post that it excelled in the levelling experience and in it's story, but the biggest let down was it's combat. This is why I don't play games like League of Legends, you say one thing, people interpret it wrong and ohhhh boy, get ready for a hate fest. Not to mention the bad latency so I usually play bad.

What I was saying in that post is I did not like play WoW to the end-game, which means that the only games end-game I could reference was SW:TOR.
    I didn't 'make up' my opinion, I tried WoW, I didn't feel comfortable playing it, therefore I quit before I got my moneys worth.

I won't argue with you over this because nothing you say will change my opinion on the combat system in games, because all it is is an opinion.
  16. Ennui

Ennui Cupcake

in general i like the need vs greed system, but i also like WoW's current system for LFR and world raid bosses, you have a personal roll against the boss and if you win, you get an item, if not, you get some gold.

i personally don't know what sort of system i really want, but this game is unique in that you can de-socket stats from gear, so you can upgrade gear that way, so a "ninja" might be taking the gear he can't use so that he can get a socket upgrade. especially since there are milestones for ever type of stat (ie a tank could stack a little bit of moxie or insight to get a milestone they want to play how they want to)

so i don't know what system i want, but i think the community will determine how ninja's are dealt with... if they can even be called a ninja.
  17. Homeslice

Homeslice Cupcake

I do this myself. I do ask about it but if it happens on the second roll, I definitely start needing everything as well. I will give loot to legit needers in my group without a problem. But I am also for kicking someone out that shouldn't be in the group anyways...tank, healer or whatever role They may have.
  18. Mentiras

Mentiras New Cupcake

I read this in Neverwinter's forum and it may be an elegant solution to the whole need versus greed situation. The problem as many people have said are greedy, or inconsiderate people who "need" everything. A remedy for this would be to make need rolls automatically make the item bind on pickup (not trade-able) and greed rolls would make the item bind on equip. That way if you truly do need something you get priority, but cannot trade or sell the item afterwards.
    Exquise, Trahma and Jerodar like this.
  19. Inimicus

Inimicus Cupcake

A good idea, if they go for this, i'm taking "enchanting" skill and i'll just ninja all the loot for my crafting ;)

Ok, so i wouldn't actually do that, but if i wanted to be a douche that's proabably what i'd do and i can always sell the mats after i disenchant the item
  20. Jerodar

Jerodar New Cupcake

That would be perfect! I remember some game doing that as well before, strange that it's not a more common system.

edit: it was WoW after all, but only in the LFR raids for some reason : /