1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Reputation Systems

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kurik, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

How do you all feel about reputation? In particular the standard grind to fill up a bar usually at end-game. Personally I enjoy the idea of gaining rapport with certain NPC factions and getting rewarded for it but some consequences as well which older MMOs did would be nice. The grind is probably not ideal for WildStar so it will need to be more approachable for players. Maybe tie it more to the story and quests, what do you think?
  2. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

A reputation system that ties every npcs to races, paths, classes, military (faction), crafts and/or areas could be interesting.

Not just one with a bar that has to be filled out and when done, you never think about it again. But a bar where actions counts and has consequences.

A npc could be tied to more than one reputation (for instance both an area, craft, military and race reputation) so the npcs sums you up from the sum of those reputations and anything you do to the npc or for the npc effects all the npc related reputations. So pursuing great dmg to one type of reputation may cause others to decline too.

As for the faction reputations, some npcs - the closer to the faction headquarters - can never get improved beyond unfriendly with an opposit faction. But some fringe cultures and areas belonging to the opposit faction may be inclined to sum you up for better than neutral (to the degree of being able to commerce with them) or amiable if you have done great deeds for some of their other reputations.

The opposit faction military npcs would be set to never be able to go better than KoS out of duty, but the range of which they notice you may differ depending on the sum of their reputation with you.

You own faction npcs will similarly be inclined to jump in and help you depending on how much they like you and how that effects the range of which they notice you are fighting someone/something.

In open world pvp skirmishes the npcs/players you kill may belong to more than the military reputation of the opposing faction, while in instanced matches the only reputations effected is military.

So everything is not just faction, but the sum of how you relate to different aspects of the npc people, and while faction does count, all but their military can be worked down to neutral, however if you kill anything of the opposing faction on sight, you will never benefit from a more diplomatic avenue.

That ought to be just as acceptable playstyle/aim as working on getting to the worse terms with the opposit faction reputations as possible.
  3. Duckdee

Duckdee Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not sure if this is wholly relevant to the topic, so forgive me if it isn't.

As I was playing the Agent story in SWTOR, I had to work with a representative of the local bug people, but from the same quest hub, I was given an unrelated mission to kill some other bug people. For my character, this would've conflicted with his primary mission, so I didn't make him do it. I'm guessing the game wouldn't care if I did do the mission (because of what SWTOR is), but I felt like it should've. Would a reputation system in a more open game take notice of a situation like this, e.g., making the bugs more or less hostile towards me?

I got far enough in Rift to max-out a rep bar, but I have no idea what it affected.
    Maddog Charlie likes this.
  4. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

What I really want to see, but most likely never will be implemented, is a reputation system that decides independently what factions you're aligned with. This would apply for NPC factions, but as well for the player factions.

For example: as an Aurin, you would start being aligned with The Exiles, but you would be able to work towards getting aligned with The Dominion. This would make some nice interesting gameplay, like playing as a traitor or defector. Would give oppurtunities to play as a neutral charater as well, getting along with everyone, making profit trading between both factions at war, etc.

But I realize it's probably too much to ask for. :(
  5. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

This.

If I could play as an Aurin, then level up reputation with the Dominion to Friendly+ I would. No question.

That was one of the things I liked about EQ1 (I didn't play it much because I got into it way after WoW was released because I didn't even know it existed! But it was very quiet... Playing on your own in an MMO isn't as much fun.)
  6. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

I like the idea of having reputations to grind up. I would prefer if reaching a high level of rep with a certain group would open up optional storylines and/or some cool, cosmetic stuff.

What I don't want to see is a system where you feel like you have to grind rep for 2 hours every day (via daily quests) because you have to have certain gear upgrades to raid or pvp. I dislike daily lockouts for reputation since my play schedule normally 3-4 days per week with me playing a TON on my days off from work. I like reputation that opens up new quest lines, cosmetic bonus items, achievements or trophies, and Titles.

I want to be able to choose how to grind up this rep. For example if it's designed to take up 20 hours to get maxed out I want to be able to do this all in 2 days rather than it take 30 minutes for the next 40 days. The WoW daily system really left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't want to log on every single day but I also don't want to fall behind my guild-mates. I'm going to stop there since I could easily go off on a rant.
    ruff_ethereal, Mudfin, Tiktak and 2 others like this.
  7. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

It's almost like the Going Rogue expansion for City of Heroes, but not really Reputation-based.

Basically, something along the lines of inFamous.
  8. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I think being able to switch factions would be interesting and fun as long as it's pretty hard to do. Also if done more than one time there should be an even harder process. Being neutral could be fun as well but I think for balance the longer you remain neutral the more consequences you receive.
  9. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

So like Santa's naughty and nice lists ? LOL very seasonal. Yep Im all for a reputation mechanic in the game and having it tied to as much as possible, Ive already said I hate it when devs limit the players from talking to each other on different factions but if this mechanic was tied into everything it would be great. Eg: you buy the
    'Kurik 12 Blaster' from a Dominion crafter and youre Exile then it should affect your reputation IMO. This could add a little more diversity to the crafters world and the economies too. Go a step further and making so any crafter who has a neutral rep can effectively remove the rep rating of the item and you have opened up a new world for smugglers too, to be able to buy, neutralise and sell.

Right on with the idea of no time limits, we all play differently based on RL pressures so there shouldnt be a XX in XX number of days limit, this mechanic could be as simple as an opened ended score say negative for exiles positive for Dominion with no cap.

Housing and community events could carry bonus's for rep too. Eg: you have four Exile flags flying on your house so you get XX Rep points, two Exile logo rugs - more points. Organize a coummunity event - more faction points, or even a neutral 'icebreaker' event for guilds/clans/squads to recruit without penalty.

So I guess its more a fame/reputation score Im thinking of as if you have accumulated 50K of Exile points then gonna have to do a lot of bad to get back to neutral ?

So I guess its a fame/reputation score as if you have 50,000 Exile points then its gonna take a heck of a lot of badness to get to neutral again ?

Lastly group leaders could get a very small fractional bonus for organizing a team and leading an attack, I see little benefit to group in many games nowadays and this could be a small but encouraging factor to bring teams together. Guilds/squads could even recieve a score based on the proportionate amount of faction in their guild too. Its only a number (and a column in the database) but I think as a simple mechanic it could be highly effective.
    ruff_ethereal and cali like this.
  10. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

most of the reputation systems I am used to are in console games like the one in infamous or does the Dark/Light side system in SWTOR count?
  11. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Nothing counts from that game .... Let's agree on pretending the game never existed? The things it done right I count on one hand. :cry:
    ruff_ethereal, Rakkis and Mudfin like this.
  12. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

There was a lot of things wrong, but I liked the story. For a short time I got to pretend to be a dual light saber wielding pureblood sith badass (downside of that was that my class was broken lol)

anyway I wish the NPCs reacted to your result in the dark / light system. scared of dark , friendly with light and maybe you get a little hostility or derision from force users in the empire side if you were a neutral :p
  13. Tiktak

That's what this thread pretty much boils down to at the end of the day. We want the NPCs to react to the things we have done, the choices we have made as we've levelled, grinded, raided, PvP'd and crafted, etc.
    ObliviousPrime likes this.
  14. Manes

Manes Cupcake-About-Town

I'm hoping for an over-all reputation that expands to everything that you do as that character. Think of it as Fame, Notoriety, or even Hatred towards your character. Walk into a camp as a famous scientist and npc scientists should know you by heart, and perhaps other npcs hear tales of your famous exploits in the world of medicine. This in turn could...Activate secret quests, rival scientists trying to out scientist you, give you hints at secret locations, and even help make it easier to gain respect from whichever town you're holed up in.

After all...Both sides need heroes to look up to...Or even for propaganda.
    ruff_ethereal, Mudfin and Michael72 like this.
  15. Michael72

Michael72 Cupcake

Pretty much what BlackWolf and Manes said, it would be awesome to have a rep system that really means something, not just provides you with some extra shiny purples when you hit "exalted", something that makes the gameplay more immersive and really affects your character and the way the world around you looks at you. Gush would I love to play an Aurin scientist infiltrator on the dominion side, been actually working on a RP-concept for something along these lines for quite a while now. Even sucky old WoW has gone a bit in that direction with it's cuddly Panda bears who can actually decide what faction they like best, but the decision comes very early (and very easy) in the game, afaik, and it's not reversible, so that's not doing it for me.
  16. Tiktak

I kind of like the idea of playing an Aurin who really actually does believe the Dominion is doing the right thing. That the Exiles are traitors and terrorists trying to undermine the government.
    Also, that their uniforms look so much cooler than the Exiles.
    And as well as that, they have cool giant robot things! :D
  17. Zee

Zee Cupcake

From what I can see there will be an reputation system in WildStar. It's take from this video.

Attached Files:

ruff_ethereal, Ender and Patrician like this.
  18. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I'd like reputations to behave like attunements. Maybe have cosmetic or fluff stuff as you raise that reputation but once "revered" it opens more paths to content that you can't get to unless you choose to put in the effort to raise that reputation. Of course that new content would open new gear, story lines, recipes etc.
    Ender likes this.
  19. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I love reputation systems in games, because they can make you feel like you're changing how people view you based on your actions.

I do not however at all like how too many MMOs just sort of tack them on as a way to grind for gear. I find that such a misuse of the reputation system.

Yes, you should get certain gear rewards sure, and maybe various mounts. But we should also get more interactive perks, like the NPCs TREAT you differently, or you get access to a VIP area to hang out in/see due to your status with them.

And never make it about doing grindy quests over and over and over again. I never understood either why I could hand over my cloth to boost what someone thought of me when it would would have been so much better for the economy and for crafters to be selling that cloth directly to them.

We should gain reputation with the various factions in the game just by doing things we would naturally enjoy doing anyway. You can still make it about content and tasks too that are optional, like all that extra stuff I don't NEED to hit level cap... but if I focus on it perhaps I'll make some NPCs REALLY like me.
    ruff_ethereal and Ender like this.
  20. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

I feel that it is a good addition to the game, a small tiny aspect of what you can do in the elder game, but if it's tied to tedious daily quests or grinding the same few mobs in the same small area over and over again, then I am completely opposing to the idea.
    Recruiter likes this.