1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Reputation Systems

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kurik, Dec 29, 2012.

1. martymo

martymo Cupcake

In EQ2 (before they merged factions and made them irrelevant) you started as either Qeynosian or Freeportian and obviously they hated eachother. Well, with a fairly long questline you could betray your home faction and join the enemy faction.

But, they didn't have enough population to effectively split the player base like that, so they removed all the restrictions with grouping/talking to enemy players.
  2. Zee

Zee Cupcake

As is accustomed to Carbine, they put their own spin on things we know from other games. I've been searching the web for WildStar vids and found this. At (2:43) they speak about a "game warden" and how performing actions in his/her vicinity increases your reputation. I think this works with this meter (image)

Attached Files:

3. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

Reputation is a tricky one especially when it is linked to gear upgrades for other parts of the game (such as PvP or Raiding). I think this is where solo players can shine, if they make the system interesting and have significant advantage to solo players who are willing to spend the time.
    I would like to see a system where you are constantly balancing your reputations with different factions. It needs to be robust enough that if you choose two or three reputations and max them out and still get similar rewards as someone who wants to balance a larger number. This is to simulate the "free agent" vs "the loyalist" approach. Each of these approaches needs to be equally as difficult (which may be the most difficult thing to balance). There needs to be an obvious way of knowing how certain factions are linked so that you don't start on a reputation that does not work with the others you have chosen.
  4. Slyndria

Slyndria Cupcake-About-Town

The WoW rep system IMO is old and dated. It is time for a company to take "Rep" to a new level and have one rep effect other reps. Meaning choices have consequences but they also allow you to tailor your charter to your play style.
    Mudfin likes this.
  5. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Heck, that's how it used to work in the old days! SWG had a great reputation system in my mind also... of course they tend to work better in sandbox style games.

Then again, the feature itself can be considered sand-boxy especially if doing X deed affects more than one reputation in a complex way, some up - some down.

I'd like reputation also to feed into things like content access in a more meaningful way than they currently do, and have players be forced to make real choices about their actions through it. It could be used in new "diplomacy" gameplay where the members in your party, depending on their reputation, might have additional interaction options open to them when dealing with certain NPCs, other than "kill!" Not in a SW:TOR dialog kind of way, just in other ways you can solve problems.
    Patrician and Yakzan like this.
  6. Slyndria

How how about we go back to the old days, that rep grinds opened up new content and quest vs just giving gear!
    Mudfin likes this.
  7. Honoracy

Honoracy Cupcake-About-Town

Its nice when it's added into something you're already doing and not in the form of having to actually grind a space of mobs for 2-3 days. Example being instances the contain mobs that give rep for killing them. This way I knock several birds out at once and don't have to dedicate a ton of time to grinding one small area for days to just get a minion item upgrade.
  8. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

Well i am a fan of reputation in mmo's... regardless how they will be implemented i think they should exist in every game... that said... i believe it should be based on special events/achievements that will truly increase your reputation among the factions... for example you may have to build a school or a hospital for a town (with the appropriate mechanics) so your reputation will have a meaning to go high... or you may sabotage something in the opposite faction etc... plz just dont make use of the dailies (much)... i understand the need dailies to exist, but do not over do it...

Oh and one more important thing... raising rep with a faction... would be a good idea to decrease with another... would be nice players not to feel like it is mandatory to get rep with any given faction within the game... that should heavily limited and heavily rewarding ofc...
  9. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

I am so very opposed to WoW-style rep grinds. Especially daily-based rep grinds, unless there's a way to make it fun. I enjoyed the Argent Tournament jousting, although I know many people did not. Netherwing was painful; I only did it once, and only for the absolutely gorgeous mount. Playing a game should never be that painful. (The Timbermaw can die in a fire. A big one. Preferably while being snapped with wet towels).

I'm not opposed to rep gains, nor to them taking time and effort to get. But they should still be fun.
  10. Slyndria

I could NOT agree more, the constant grinds for valor (for the epic quest line, or to upgrade your gear) killed MoP for me.