1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Respecing, Multi-Specing, etc

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Tarchannen, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Tarchannen

Tarchannen New Cupcake

Thoughts?

I can get behind respecing if there is a deterrent that is prohibitive. (I.E. Increasing cost. Maybe that scales the similar to durability scaling.)

Negative on multiple specializations. As a person that did a fair bit of tanking in Vanilla WoW: The only benefits to dual spec were farming and PvP. The easy solution? Friend a DPS and do massive pulls, and have a PvP-only specialization option. Same is true for a healer.
  2. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I think this really remains to be seen in WildStar - with the Limited Action Set I think we may be looking at something more akin to The Secret World's Deck Building system or Champions Online's Role switching system.

I'm not convinced we'll be seeing a dual-spec/respec sort of arrangement in WS.
    Ennui likes this.
  3. Risetta

Risetta New Cupcake

As someone who typically plays heals I hate questing for the very reason that it just takes so long to kill. Buuuutt considering that we have what, two specs on each class we probably can afford to go back to town and respec and then go back to doing the dirty work in the field. I'm in favor of having options but with restrictions i.e it wouldn't be wallet friendly to consistently respec all day or the mere idea of constantly going to town to respec is time consuming therefore discouraging the practice.
    Soylentgreen and kanochi like this.
  4. F8L Fool

F8L Fool Cupcake-About-Town

Agreed. Building skill sets using LAS somewhat defeats the purpose of talent specs, since your "spec" is how you build your LAS. I equate the Wildstar LAS to how you create a lot of variation in Diablo 3, with respect to builds based on picking a limited number of skills. Admittedly I've never played TSW or CO so I can't speak to their setup. Is it somewhat similar to what I'm talking about?

I'd prefer the ability to mildly tweak certain skill effects instead of giant swaths of passive bonuses, that are accompanied by one or two extra abilities. I'm excited to see what they finally settle on.
    Brady Dunbar likes this.
  5. Lipgloss

Lipgloss New Cupcake

If they allow us to allocate some skill points ourselves as we level, I am pretty sure they will allow us to respec those allocations (they had pulled point allocations in the last beta, but may put them back in). I can't imagine that they would make user choices like that permanent. It would punish a leveling "noob" who didn't know better and wasted his points in frivolous areas. The system will be forgiving, players prefer coddling.

As for multiple specs, who knows. Personally I would prefer the ability to play both rolls my class offers easily. Gives me more to do, makes my play more dynamic.
  6. kanochi

kanochi Cupcake-About-Town

Yup, leveling heals is horrrible, I don't know what kind of point allocation system or talent tree or whatever they have. = P But I hope healers have enough dps to level enjoyably either way. ^^
    Soylentgreen likes this.
  7. Zakis

Zakis New Cupcake

I would say no to multispec and there should be some sort of deterrent to respeccing just so it isnt abused. I miss games that make you make choices you have to live with. I kinda view the spec as one of those, where it should be able to be changed but not trivialized.
  8. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

I take it you'll be levelling as a healer then? And that you like to do both PvP and PvE?
  9. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I am 100% for multispeccing. I always saw respeccing as a tool to fix mistakes you made in speccing but not as a way to change roles as well. Such a system would only disincentivize people from having off-specs and learning how to use them. Without multispeccing, I would spend far less time if any gearing up and learning my off-spec since the system's design punishes those who want to be more versatile.

That said, I think Wildstar is doing speccing a lot differently and "respeccing" in Wildstar would be like simply changing your gear into a set that has your off-spec's stats. If I'm right, there won't be any need for multispeccing with this system since your role would be determined solely by your gear.
  10. Zakis

Zakis New Cupcake

Never played a healer, but I was planning to this time around. Now that I think about it, GW2's system wasnt too bad where your PvP and PvE spec was separate. My main concern is developers over-doing it and trivializing aspects of the game really.
  11. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

Fair go. The thrust of my post was we all like to have these high ideals in the forums but most people here would grumble like anyone at stuff like no respecs.

Levelling a warrior in vanilla (the only viable tanks and only viable as tanks) was supposedly eye gougingly boring like 30 levels of white hitting pretty much.
    I can also add levelling a priest in vanilla was akin to self flagellation (Having done it I can say I'd prefer self flagellation).
  12. Sivenom

Sivenom New Cupcake

I wouldn't mind seeing a GW2 action bar switch type thing.

Out of combat and starting a dungeon, I would switch into defensive gear, then press mouse 5 and my weapon switches to armored claws; got my tanking skills.
    Out of combat, I switch back into dps gear, press mouse 6, lightweight claws, and my action set is my dps stuff.

I wouldn't mind the gear staying an OOC issue. I'm alright if the weapon switch is also an OOC thing, but I would still love a hotkey to switch weapons.
    Maybe we can save a weapon to an action set (place for money sink having to pay to relink a new weapon to a set)
  13. Sivenom

Sivenom New Cupcake

I did:
    warr 1-60 prot
    priest 1-34 holy
    druid 1-60 bear feral
    hunt 1-45 bm
    lock 1-30 afflic 30-60 demo
    pally 1-60 prot
    in vanilla.

I AM A HUGE SUPPORTER OF MULTISPECS.
    Inv1cted likes this.
  14. Furor Tuetonicus

Furor Tuetonicus Cupcake-About-Town

I had determined to just lurk the forums until I got a beta account, but I really think that the subject of multi-spec'ing is supremely important for the success of a modern MMO, so I feel the need the make a post detailing why it is imperative that Wild Star has this feature.

First we need to understand how their spec system works, at least in its current iteration. Currently, we have multiple stats, which provide us with defense, offense/damage and healing powers respectively. This is a system very similar to GW2's trait system, except with a simplified naming convention that will make it a little easier to understand from the beginning.

Second, we will have limited skill sets that will have power respective to stat allocation, and may even be a result of stat allocation (this is pure speculation, but needs to be mentioned).

These are two very basic facts about the game that I've gleaned from this and one other forum. But it provides us with an insight to how the game will work when we can finally play. Every player will have nearly unlimited options as to how to allocate these stat points which will lead to endless experimentation and variability of builds just as we saw at the launch of GW2, and still to this day there is an enormous amount of discussion on the best ways to play certain classes. This is an absolutely beautiful and nearly limitless system when done well and I'm looking forward to see how Carbine handles it.

However, one issue with GW2, is the need to travel to a town to change your spec when leveling if you get a new weapon, or wish to do group content and want to play a support role. The ability to swap specs and skill sets on the fly means that the game can be a nearly seamless solo and group content game. Not only that, it allows the content designers to build more complex encounters as the players now have the flexibility to adapt to a new challenge almost on the fly without having to leave the zone.

Taking this flexibility away from the players and the designers I feel would be an enormous detriment to the kind of content which can be designed for, and handled by the player and this would then deliver a more linear, and simply boring game to the players.

I for one, want the most dynamic and fun game that a company can give me, and I feel this requires the ability to multi-spec.
  15. Crimzen

Crimzen Cupcake

In my opinion if you look at the way the current Milestone system works in WildStar based on the last set of patch notes they've released, it looks like the system has its own built in Dual-spec system so to speak.
    While you have a customizable "deck" based action bar, at least half of what determines your role will come from your gear and those Milestone perks.

So far we know Milestones work sort of like an automatic talent system, that allows you to climb further into each Milestone branch based on the stats you have; giving you perks associated with those stats in order to enhance your current roles capabilities. For example if I'm a Stalker going for dps, then I'll obviously want to get more brutality and finesse on my gear( not sure what will be the best Stat for a stalker dps, but strength and crit seem like they would make sense). The more Brutality and Finesse stat points I accumulate, the more Milestones I will be able to receive that are associated with those specific stats which, in turn, seem to give me perks or Milestones that help enhance my DPS.

Now since Stats are based on your gear, and Milestones are based on those stats, it seems like just changing the gear you have equipped will allow you to switch roles in a sense. For example, instead of getting DPS specific stat gear for my stalker, now I'll get Tanking gear which has stats such as Tech and Grit, giving me further access to those more survivability or tanking associated Milestones.

Going back to WildStar having a built-in role switching system. It seems like simply switching out your gear ( which control your milestones) and switching out your limited action set would be equivalent to switching your role, even if there's no set dual-spec system in place.

With this being said though, I don't see what they would charge players for in terms of changing their role. Since milestones are automatic based on stats on your gear, you're already spending money, resources, and time to get that gear to begin with. They could technically charge you for switching out abilities on your limited action set, but I wonder if that would frustrate players every time they wanted to try out a new ability they learned.

The other question would be to ask I guess is, if charging for that ability to switch your role is really needed in the first place? The system they have currently seems pretty solid on paper and I for one am in favor of allowing players to play their class to the fullest, but that's just me.
    Vox_Populi and Nezk like this.
  16. Nezk

Nezk Cupcake

It's pretty hilarious how many posters ignore this post and assume there's even going to be traditional WoW specs.

I think there's going to be two or three layers of "speccing"

1. Abilities/perks unlocked from leveling, stat milestones (Gear influenced)(built in character interlace feature)
    2. Abilities/perks from choosing a role(tank,dps,heal)(Talent tree gold cost to respec)
    3. Bought abilities/perks from any other source(rep,gold,path)(no limit to flavor skills)

Basically u can swap your gear unlocking specific skills/perks, you can go to town and respec ur determined tree for a gold cost, and you'll have a plethory of jack of all trade abilities/perks you've accumulated from multiple sources.

Its important to feel unique without being punished for trying different playstyles.

I think this achieves this
  17. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Well considering that a spec in this game is going to be effect by the stats of the gear you're wearing, I think we'll likely see some sort of easy user option to tie and switch between builds in a one click option. Like TSW Deck building as ZR previously posted.
  18. Ellianar

Ellianar Cupcake-About-Town

There will be multispecting, this has already been confirmed by a dev ( Gortok here or gaffney in an interview i dont remember the one )

And i remember hearing about stat increase as levelling like you have 50 points ( example value ) to attribute to stats in order to unlock milestones and such and THEN you could unlock more milestones through gear. I might be wrong on this one though.

I m definitely in favor of multispecc and LAS built-in save system, even if it's not add by the dev i'm sure addons will correct that right away :D
  19. Crimzen

Crimzen Cupcake

They actually removed the ability to manually allocate stat points, so it's all based on leveling and gear at this point in the beta at least. I believe that was confirmed either in the latest patch notes, or on another thread that one of the Devs posted on.
  20. Furor Tuetonicus

Furor Tuetonicus Cupcake-About-Town

I was unaware that they removed the ability to place your own stats. Given that they're tying Milestones stats, and therefore to gear, there probably is no need for a multi-spec'ing system so long as you keep multiple sets of gear in your pack.

And so long as we're given the ability to swap our skill sets while out of combat I don't see a need for a multi spec'ing system.

All told, I can get behind that so long as they allow you a way to store the gear that doesn't eat up your bag space. Having played a druid in WoW, that's bag pressure I can't really get behind.