1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Rethinking Racials: What if they were cosmetic?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Rootmuncher, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Yowser

Yowser Cupcake

Where did this information come from ?

I know about the 9th slot for Path, but did not know about additional slots being added for item ability and racial ?

Unless If by Item ability you mean quest items or temporary abilities then these don't have slots, they just activate with a keybind ("T" by default).
  2. Baeldan

Baeldan Cupcake-About-Town

It's the opposite in my eyes. I'm defending them exactly because I'm not selfish and personally don't care if someone has a racial advantage over me. I find that dynamic interesting rather than gamebreaking.

To me it's the people wanting razor edge balance that are more likely to be selfish because they're opposing anything that could cause them to lose a PvP match or not top the raid meters. These people want to be the best of the best and if they're not, then it's obviously a game mechanic holding them back.

Didn't think of it like that. Yeah that's actually a good compromise. We still don't know what the talents actually do though.
  3. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

In JG's responses in the CBT1 he explained how the stuff was, basically the class slots are separate, we don't know how the others will be, and they could change. But, as it stood at the time I believe the equivalent of "racials" were tied to their own slot.
  4. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

That's true, but if you are a hardcore "I want racials for my classes with mechanics, PERIOD!" and think it sounds reasonable, and the only quarrels hardcore players would have with it is that "Oh noes, I have to spend time on it." Then it's probably not that far off the mark.
  5. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

I don't wanna be the best of the best, i just don't want to feel nerfed if my race/class combo is inferior to another... And i dont wanna live in a world where every stalker is Mordesh, every Esper is Aurin, every warrior is mechari...

I think this is selfish, people just wanna be different from everyone, hipster feelings... "WHY THIS LITTLE ASURA DEALS THE SAME DAMAGE AS MY 1337 COOL CHARR WARRIOR COMING FROM HELL WITH GLOWING EYES AND SPITTING FIRE???????

Obviously Chua and Granok look exactly the same, so guess what? Racials are needed so we can distinguish one from another, HODORRR
    Kyro and Evgen88 like this.
  6. Kyro

Kyro Cupcake

I see the point came up with WoW and PvE balance and its racials, and I'd like to note that it has indeed had an effect on faction balance as far as the more progression-oriented people are concerned.

See, the last tier of raiding had several bosses designated as 'beasts'. The troll race has a passive racial that gives a flat +5% damage to beasts (and a free racial trinket). When Isle of Thunder was released, you started seeing many of the major raiding guilds still on Alliance transferring to Horde because it gave a progression advantage. As they did this, many people interested in raiding naturally followed, and suddenly it became harder for Alliance guilds to recruit, which lead to even more guilds in the upper ranks of progression transferring.

In short, this kind of thing is a bit like rings spreading on water. It might not affect everyone, but it can have a drastic impact on limiting your choices if you want to do progression content.

I'm all for different races being different but racials such as the ones above are bad and might force people to chose a particular faction in order to have a chance to experience raiding content. Passive racials related to skills not directly applicable to raiding, however, I have no issue with. Either that, or allow racials such as the troll ones, but make them have no impact in raids or timed runs of dungeons. That too would work -- nobody really competes that hard over the rest.

Just my 2 cents.
    CaRaDaGaiTa likes this.
  7. CaRaDaGaiTa

How about put racials, but disable them on Arenas, bgs, warplots and raids? xD
  8. Kyro

Kyro Cupcake

I wouldn't be against a system like that.
  9. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

And dungeons and Open World, ok now it's perfect, only allowed in Housing areas.
    CaRaDaGaiTa likes this.
  10. CaRaDaGaiTa

Perfect!