1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Rival List :D

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Mesmir, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango Well-Known Cupcake

It does sound like an interesting option for PVPers. But as someone who doesn't really care for PVP all that much (well, not against other factions; some of the players in my own faction, those are the ones I want to kill most of the time!), it doesn't seem like it'll contribute much for me.

Maybe it'll let me know where some of the more annoying players on my own faction are so I can avoid them out in the world? I don't know.
  2. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

First off, I know there are several other "Rival" threads out there, so if this is duplicative, my bad.

I'd like to focus on what people do with/how they react to adding a new player to their "Naughty" list in-game (in Wildstar's case I guess it will be through the Rival system)

For the sake of argument, let's assume you can add people to a Rival list without automatically ignoring them - do you then also tend to /ignore these people on your list?

Do you send them a raging tell/mail/forum message about what a jerk they are and how you're going to kill them nonstop forever? Or do you just generally ignore them completely and avoid them whenever possible?

For me personally, I tend to mark people as "bad" but I rarely actually /Ignore anyone (not sure why). I almost never send a note or message to let someone know I'm gunning for them - and actually generally don't add people to a kill on sight list very frequently - rather I just end up avoiding them in groups and trade etc.
  3. Kritarie

Kritarie Cupcake

I rarely ignore anyone, unless they're literally spamming me non-sense with the intention of crowding my chat. I don't think the rival and ignore lists have much in common as far as the intended uses.
  4. Split_Light

Split_Light Cupcake

I generally play on a PvE server, so I while it's a cool sounding feature I don't see myself using it that often. I can't really hunt people down. If people irritate me I just put them on ignore.

For PvP servers it does sound like a pretty cool idea, though it seems like it could really be used for griefing.
    Grim Fandango likes this.
  5. Genev

Genev New Cupcake

I don't do ignoring, the people on my rivals list will likely be friends, enemy raid leaders, people I feel like fighting etc.
    Don't see a reason to put randoms on my kill on sight list.
  6. Sayantan

Sayantan Cupcake

If they allow player bounty in the future, i plan to make a ton of money in the AH and hire player hitmen to take out people in my rival list.
    Fishsticks likes this.
  7. Fishsticks

Oh, I'm not saying they do! (should have made that clearer)

I was curious as to if people use both in conjunction - so far it seems like people keep them separate and reserve /ignore for people who (as you've said) are just spamming the hell out of them like goldfarmers etc. not 'real' players
  8. Katu_Kath

Katu_Kath Robot Cupcake

I am going to pick one dominion character, at random, within my first week of the game. I will name this man my rival, and tell him so. I will tell him that he is to be my nemesis, to be the anti-me. his job, and retroactively mine, will be to hunt each other down. At any given point in time, at any place, without warning and without hesitation, we will murder each other. I will keep this up for a month or two, and track the number of times each of us has won or lost. If he beats me in this score, he will be placed on the wall of honor, to be forever commemorated as a worthy enemy. If he fails, he will be forever shamed. I will then name another, and continue this until the planet nexus has faded from existence.
  9. Kritarie

Kritarie Cupcake

I see. Why do you ask? Do you know some people who would put someone on both their rival and ignore list? That almost seems contradictory.. the rival list helps you to find someone, the ignore list helps you to avoid them.
  10. Fishsticks

I think it depends on how rival lists are used by people - I'm sure some people will use it as a Kill on Sight mechanic where others might use it as a pseudo-ignore (showing where players are you like to avoid without actually blocking their chats etc)

I also know from a few other threads that some people plan to not use the Rival list at all, and stick to just /ignore because they only see the rival list as being useful in PvP situations - and they don't really PvP so they arent planning to use it (not me, just seen a few posts about it)

Unrelated: Feed Me is awesome.
  11. Split_Light

Split_Light Cupcake

Quite frankly, I just don't see myself using a Rivals list all that much. I will play on a PvE server, so it's not like I can hunt somebody down and kill them. If somebody really annoys me I'll put them on ignore, otherwise what does it matter.

A brief addendum: If you can see rivals in a warzone that might be neat. There are occasionally people I see in fight after fight, and start to develop an unofficial rivalry. Of course that could be abused to. I could just rival all the healers, so I know where they are to hunt them down.
    Fishsticks likes this.
  12. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

<.< >.>

*Adds Fishsticks to rival list*

^.^

*Follows Fishsticks everywhere asking for hugs!*
    eselle8, Sayantan and Fishsticks like this.
  13. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

i see a Rival as someone who makes me want to better my self to beat him/her.

So i really liked the idea of having a Rival list.
  14. Fishsticks

hahaha I hadn't considered that, interesting thought!
  15. Kritarie

Kritarie Cupcake

The ability to rival the healers for easier tracking is no more abusive than marking targets in WoW
  16. Rizzalliss

Rizzalliss Cupcake

With members of the opposite faction, I will use it only if they have caused themselves to stick out in my mind. I see myself using it allot more for my own faction, though. Give myself some good bars to compare myself to whenever I see them around. :D And, of course, and Exile characters friends of mine make will be Rivals Listed. :devilish:
  17. Kritarie

Kritarie Cupcake

I say WoW because I'm more familiar with it, but I believe most MMOs these days offer some form of target marking.
  18. Split_Light

Split_Light Cupcake

That is true. The only advantage the rival has over marking, is they'll be marked from the very getgo, you won't have to see them first to know they're in the fight. I doubt that would be a huge deal.
  19. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

But....I was going to be a happy little support esper....:(
  20. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

People who I actively dislike go on my Ignore list. Life is too short to worry about them.

I kind of like the ideal of enemies being worthy adversaries. On tight server communities, it's common enough for players to run into people on the other faction who they basically like and respect and enjoy pairing off against, even if they know it will mean a tougher fight. I don't PvP much anymore and will roll on a PvE server, but I'll at least try the war plots and might end up listing people I run into regularly there as Rivals if I end up being lured back to a more PvP-oriented playstyle. If that doesn't happen, I'll mostly use it to connect to my guildies' cross-faction alts.

As I understood it, you'd have to accept the request to be on someone's Rivals list.