1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Rogues, Smugglers and Mercs

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Jared, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Jared

Jared New Cupcake

Soooo I am not 100% sure this tread belongs here but any whooooooo here goes what I would like to talk about. Why do I have to pick a side! Why do I have to choose a faction to fight for; yes we are all very comfortable with this concept but why can't I choose to be a rogue character. Choosing a side that pays for my talents and then once my contract is up be a free agent again. Sure we might not have our own "main city" but with player housing and guild stuff do you really need one? I know it would be nearly impossible for them to institute this idea it is something to think about for the future.
    Sonntam likes this.
  2. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

It's possible to implement some kind of third/neutral faction in the future, but like you said what you watn is nearly impossible to implement. If anything it'll just be like the pandaren in WoW where you get to pick a side, but you stick with it, no "merc" faction as the ability to freely switch sides, even with limitations, can be easily abused.

As to why you have to pick sides? Dynamics, lore, pvp, etc. I know there are games that use the plain pk system, but having a war as a backdrop simply adds more dynamic to the open world, it also gives a lot to work with in story instead of the whole generic "adventurers band together to save the world" schtick.

Also this would seem to belong in the Races section as that's where most discussions concerning factions are in. Not sure, but I do know it's not here. A mod will move it soon enough though, don't worry.
    Sonntam, Miatog and kanochi like this.
  3. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

I have to agree with popo, a merc faction would be impossible to implement right. It's something that belongs in solo games, where you're on your own and if you choose to abuse the power of being a merc you affect nobody. But in an MMO, near impossible to do right.
    Sonntam and kanochi like this.
  4. kanochi

kanochi Cupcake-About-Town

If there was a neutral side on a PvP server that would be kinda strange haha. Though I think it'd be a neat idea, just no clue how you would go about implementing it properly. >.<

So I will have to agree with popober and Miatog. >.<
  5. Calahan

Calahan Cupcake-About-Town

Why should a nation or faction welcomes you with open arms after you have mass murdered them last weekend just because your contract with a hostile nation runs out?
    Kataryna, Sonntam and Apostate like this.
  6. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

How would a mercenary get to a planet that no one knows about? Also, when you're in a situation where two factions are attempting to research and control territory, you're more likely to be cannon fodder than a "sly dealer mercenary." The exiles don't look like they have money to spare, and the Dominion don't look like they look to kindly at strangers...
    Kataryna and Sonntam like this.
  7. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

The only species that are currently revealed who could be free contractors are Humans and Cassians, who could probably pass as being from the other faction with a little voice coaching. Exile Granok might be able to impersonate those who stayed with the Dominion, but that's awkward given that it seems unlikely the game will feature many Dominion Granok. It's even harder for the other races. No one from the Dominion is going to be caught associating with an Aurin, even if one did manage to overlook the whole Arborea thing. It's hard for me to even picture a substantial number of Mechari or Draken going their own way, or the Exiles putting any trust in them if they did.

Besides, like everyone else said, there is more to the game than the roleplaying aspect of it, and neutral factions can be difficult to implement. I think there will probably be some room on both sides to roleplay a character who's not especially devoted to the specified faction and whose main purpose on Nexus is to gain power or money. It might just be that in these circumstances, there's only one feasible employer for that particular smuggler or treasure hunter.
    Sonntam likes this.
  8. Miatog

This actually clicked something in my brain and I went to check the "Meet the Dominion" video. The end of this video calls the Exiles a "ragtag alliance of refugees, rebels, and mercenaries". If you want to play a merc, you go Exile! They've already been labeled as having the mercs. I'm sure the Dominion isn't above hiring good mercs or paying out bounties, but you're more likely to see them on the Exile side.
    Sonntam likes this.
  9. Calahan

Calahan Cupcake-About-Town

This granok saaarrrge in the announcing trailer was titled as "mercs..." by the esper aurin after he has unloaded his crate of toys.
    Sonntam likes this.
  10. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Unless you're a gross race... then they would...
  11. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

I really hate these "faction" type scenarios, and they make very little sense outside of PvP servers anyways. I really hope for PvE servers in which the "war" has cooled down to the level of the current US/China relationship, kind of tense, but you can visit all you like and work together with members of the other side. There's no sense in having two groups of players that are technically in strife if they can't actually be in strife.
  12. Miatog

I hope not, because it doesn't make any sense, not to mention we'd then be talking about two very different stories being written. On top of that, for Wildstar that makes even less sense than it would in WoW, because the Exiles aren't a nation, they have no real claim to territory, they are outlaws, rebels, people who are trying to bring down the Dominion. You can't have that kind of thing with these factions. "Oh yes, we Exiles hate you Dominion but we're going to work together!" "Ah you silly Exile people, trying to bring down the empire that I love, but here let me help you secure that base!" That makes no sense at all.
  13. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

That's kind of my point. If you establish that sort of plot then how does it make any sense at all to even have a PvE server, in which theoretically "opposing" characters aren't allowed to slaughter each other at will? Now I am all about the PvE server, of course, but for it to make any sense the plot would need to be slightly tweaked, from a state of open warfare to a state of tense diplomacy, like in Firefly, where the Alliance is sometimes an antagonist to the crew, but so long as they don't start trouble, they won't get trouble either.
  14. Dave Bowman

Dave Bowman New Cupcake

It sure would be nice. I'd be one of those guys. But W* is vivid and gungho and doesn't look like a game where there is room for shades of grey.

Which I mean in the most positive anti el james way possible. Let's keep it like that. Lots of games out there shooting for fakeass nuance already.
  15. nednerb

nednerb New Cupcake

Could be an interesting way to combine PvP & PvE servers onto one. Red v Blue have normal PvP rules, Green is always neutral unless they flag themselves.