1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Role-Playing in WildStar

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by ImmortalExile, Aug 23, 2011.

1. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

So... any role-players out there besides myself?
    I understand we have very little information on this title already, but, I think most of us are more than capable of deciding how we intend to play. I, myself, intend to role-play. I've been role-playing in MMO's since 2005 (World of Warcraft) and have done quite a bit of Forum based role-playing as well. (This is actually something I'm thinking of suggesting to MistaMike if there are other interested role-players).

Anyways, so with WildStar's hand crafted, ground-up birthing, the possibilities are endless for role-playing. Who, other than myself, would even consider role-playing in this title?
    For that matter, what sort of perks would you think that this title has? (Emotes, environment interaction ((i.e. sitting in a chair)), clothing options, etc)

Anywhoo... any interest in this?
  2. Pontianak

Pontianak Cupcake

I plan to give it a college try, as RPing a new IP would be kinda fun I think. But in the end, it'll be the community that decides how viable RPing is going to be.
  3. ImmortalExile

Very true statement.
    A point I should have made, as well- the community is the most important part of the MMO. If the community has a desire for a specific gaming aspect, then it will be successful. I only hope that there will be enough generated interest in WildStar to warrant Role-Play Servers, or preferably, Role-PlayPvP servers.
  4. perty

perty New Cupcake

RP server, not RP server. Does it really matter? You ignore everyone who's not in your cliques anyway. Why the extra overhead of setting up and maintaining extra servers?
  5. ImmortalExile

Same reason PvP'ers have their own server?
    It doesn't take much to hold three server types. And, please, let's not generalize here... no matter what every game, and every gamer is different.
  6. Pontianak

Pontianak Cupcake

There tend to not be as many RP'ers, so instead of us being spread out over a huge set of servers, it helps to have a server or 2 labelled as RP so we know where we can find like minded people. Just like labeling a PVP server helps those of us that prefer open world pvp.
  7. ImmortalExile

This. You worded it better. I wouldn't even care if there were no servers, I'm just wondering if anyone else enjoys role-playing. Though, a server would be nice... just one... with districts (Guild Wars)... if that's all was warranted.
  8. Nonsensicles

Nonsensicles Cupcake-About-Town

Heyo! Been roleplaying for nearly two decades, since I was ten, with tabletop games. Even earlier if you count impromptu games of makebelieve as a very small human. ;) Naturally I carried it with me into MMOs. :)

I've got a couple of character ideas percolating away already. One, a rough and tumble female granok scientist who's quite vehement about her discoveries. The other a bartending male aurin settler who helps facilitate business for many people and is always willing to lend an ear.
    Foxentist and ImmortalExile like this.
  9. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

Although one could argue that the mere act of controlling a fictional avatar is role play, in itself, I completely understand where you're coming from. The addition of player-driven narrative allows an additional layer of artistic outlet, and serves to further enhance the player's experience, and promote further "suspension of disbelief".

Do I think it warrants it's own server? No.
    Do I believe it's appropriate to have RP-specific Guilds? Heck yeah!

My own personal problem is that one builds their character based on the known "world data" at the time. Any official updates to world lore threaten to force a "re-write" of the individual character, unless their own back story is left intentionally vague enough for such flexibility.
  10. ImmortalExile

Great stuff! I would count childish make-believe play a form of role-play! I think my active imagination carried over for me, as well!
    Interesting ideas you've got brewing up. I was brainstorming for the three known races already, and I came up with a few ideas... though, without knowing much about even these three, I just paused. I do know I will probably make a Male Aurin Scientist.
    Once I know more of the Dominion, however... Hoo boy!
  11. ImmortalExile

I'd venture to say that most role-players tend to have to improvise A LOT, when creating any significant background.
    Me, personally, I've always left my background vague enough to where I could use that persona and character type in any game, almost. However, I do consider the history that could potentially be written for that specific character.
    I see where you're coming from, however.
  12. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I always tend to gravitate towards RP communities for a more immersive experience. As a longterm RPer (Live RP, Paper & Pen RP as well as computers) I'm also happy to dive in occasionally but often I want to achieve ingame, so it depends on the style of roleplayers in the individual game.

I'm not much for standing around at a bar talking about some imagined background that isn't represented ingame.

You can see my style of roleplay through my previous character blogs/Twitter feeds (a little underused right now as I've been very busy with work!)...

http://zaprobo.blogspot.com/
    http://twitter.com/doctorzaprobo
    http://twitter.com/captainzaprobo
  13. ImmortalExile

Nor am I. I can interact with those who prefer this, but I won't stay for long... my characters are generally too busy for that nonsense. ;)
  14. Nonsensicles

Nonsensicles Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah. The only "tavern RP" I've found to work is a player-run ingame tavern at an appropriate location at a scheduled time, typically one or two evenings a week. That can be a great opportunity for people to come together without feeling forced or contrived.

Completely fabricated taverns in custom chat channels or on forums, though? Meh, pass.
  15. .selebu

.selebu Cupcake

I'm not really a RP kind of person in MMOs.
    However, if there was a RP server later on, I might give it a try.

But at the start I think I'd rather play the game and learn more about it and it's lore.

And I think RP servers are a great thing and every MMO with enough players should have some.
  16. Akhrin

Akhrin New Cupcake

I enjoy RPing anyway, and with the type of setting we've seen in the trailer and the demo I think this game's going to be fantastic for it. I imagine RP servers/districts/guilds or not I'll be playing "in-character".
    ImmortalExile likes this.
  17. ImmortalExile

Nicely put, Sir.
    I've tried staying in character in a general PvE server, and while it lasts for some time, after a while, I get more caught up in the game since I'm usually the only one around "in-character". lol
  18. Akhrin

Akhrin New Cupcake

Yeah, even when trying to chat in-character there's still a time and place for out-of-character chat like when discussing game mechanics (character builds, stats and things). So even when you're focussed on RPing a character and around other RPers you won't always be chatting in-character. Off the top of my head I can't really think of a solid way around it other than using your own judgement *shrug*

I guess just stay in-character whenever it's reasonable, and accept it's not going to be happening all the time.
  19. Brotoi

Brotoi Cupcake-About-Town

Hmm. First let me say upfront I have zero patience for players who are dismissive of different playstyles. You want to PvP, fine, don't expect me to join in your headbanging merriment. You want to sit around a campfire or corner pub telling stories, very cool, once in awhile I'll stop and listen and sometimes I'll contribute a few of my own. If you want to be a vampire in a world that has zero reference to vampirism in the official lore, that's fine, but don't expect me to play along. I don't expect other players to mimic my playstyle, although I am always happy to find players whose style is similar to my own. The only time someone else's playstyle becomes an annoyance for me is when somebody starts pushing their preference as the only "real" way to play.

My personal approach to any persistent-world MMO is derived straight from my love of writing. For me, the MMO is a fictional world and my character is a fictional being within that world. My character's only reality and frame of reference is the world itself and the official lore behind it. An MMO, for me, is a virtual world and my character a living being within that world. To a great extent, I am always "in character". While I am ingame I don't discuss politics, sports, daily headlines, real-world weather, local gossip, or whatever. For the time I am playing the only reality I generally acknowledge is the virtual reality of the game world.

For example, if my male character is polite and chivalrous and encouters a female character, he treats her like a lady. If she happens to be controlled in the real world by an overweight beer-guzzling, burnt-out former running back that is irrelevant. I'm not sitting in a bar telling warstories. I'm playing a game. Vice versa, if I'm playing a female character and some pimply-faced macho wannabe sitting behind the controls of a male character decides to get intimate, I shut'em down and ignore them completely because my characters (male or female) simply don't do erotic roleplay. That's not what these game worlds are generally designed to support. As much as possible, my characters respond within the context of the game world and ignore references to the real world.

By the same token, I don't spend time dreaming up huge, convoluted, dramatic narratives and I avoid roleplayers who are intent on transforming their ingame experience into the pages of a romance novel. I don't criticize them, after all, they're having fun their own way. I simply stay out of their way and let them do their thing. My characters do socialize within the context of the game world. In CoH, for example, I regularly drop into Pocket D to swap ingame war stories (mostly pure on-the-spot improvision) with other characters. My characters address merchants (as much as possible) as if they were genuine merchants, which does earn me my fair share of wisecracks from folks who don't roleplay at all.

The cornerstone to my interaction with the game world is context. If it is reasonable within the context of the game, I'm all for it, but I don't force the issue.

In the end, within the context of the game world which is more delusional, an Aurin Esper who talks tactics and strategy for overcoming the next obstacle or an Aurin Esper who follows people around endlessly talking about American Idol and Monday Night Football?
  20. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

Omg, lolz +1 ! *So* true! In fact, it brought to mind a humorous (and, surprisingly, relevant) comic strip on the subject. MGDMT:Every Rose has it's thorn.
    Foxentist and Brotoi like this.