1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Round 2: A 1% Perspective on the Jeremy Gaffney I-view with Gamebreaker.tv

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Crucifer, May 22, 2013.

1. Crucifer

Crucifer Cupcake-About-Town

If I do that I'm just making up connecting plot points and talking about wildly hypothetical assumptions...id rather not do that.
  2. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

I see where you're coming from, but a compliment sandwich only works if it's small enough to fit in your mouth ;)
    Rumze likes this.
  3. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

Yep, agreed. I was just pointing out, for those who didn't know what was going on, what he is trying to accomplish on this site.
  4. cirk

cirk Cupcake

When I read the title I assumed this discussion would be about the opinion of the hardcore crowd on current developments. There are people who worry that some paths will not grant the necessary advantages to justify choosing them. This is a problem and needs to be addressed. Pointing out the quality of potentially ignored quest lore is not helpful.
  5. Vermana

Vermana Cupcake-About-Town

Just because some people ignore it doesn't mean it is not important.

Why not just take everything interesting out of the world of Nexus, make it a bland, flat and plotless rock, and cater everything to the hardcore players? Because that game would suck.

It would be neat to see Scientist and Explorer given something for the Min/Maxing community, but it would be a tragedy to see the Paths completely butchered because of it. Maybe unique crafting options or something like that would work.
    Thordran likes this.
  6. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

Does anyone really have enough information on paths to make any definitive statement on how they will affect endgame though?

Based upon reading every path's focus on the official site, and what they can actually do, I don't think any of them by definition have to cease being useful at endgame or ever have to reach an endpoint.

We know scientists can study loftite and give everyone buffs. I've seen nothing that makes me think this is a one time thing. It wouldn't be a stretch to assume that scientists are going to study things in your raid and provide buffs that will help out the group. I'm a min/maxer and I'd be happy doing that and demand that there be some scientists in the raid group if I'm putting one together.

I haven't read anything in the path system that makes me think that once you've scanned a bunch of things or done all your missions while leveling up that you have nothing left to do that is meaningful and helps you or the raid out.

I've also heard developer interviews that indicate that each role will be of use for certain things during the dungeon raid game, and during PvP as well by interacting with the environment in certain ways and affecting the battle.

Until the developers come out and explain otherwise, what I've read leads me to believe that each path will have a role to play in order to min/max the raid and the PvP group.

I'll agree that I don't know enough to say that with 100% certainty, but as path content seems to be a rather large part of character development, it seems very odd that they'd make paths useless for min/max end gamers.
  7. Crucifer

If true it doesn't change the minority system...so you bring 1 settler for camp, 1 explorer for secret passages, 1 scientist for buffs, and 37 soldiers for more dps....I still see there being a problem while min maxing.
  8. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

The problem with this is that you are assuming soldiers do more dps when carbine stated they didn't. Paths change your quest play style, not your stats or abilities. All paths are going to get some unique abilities, but they are not going to give major advantages. If anything, the abilities stated for Explorers/ Settlers (some movement thing/ building turrets) would have better bits because the movement of the game puts a high emphasis on survivability.

You're approaching this like WoW. While some bits are similar (trinity), CRB_Gortok has a ~20 page thread explicitly about how he's designing items/stats to be stupidly difficult or even pointless to min/max.
  9. Thordran

I'm not convinced that anything has been indicated that this is true either. I'd be extremely surprised if they gave only one path individual personal buffs, that is highly illogical from a game design perspective and sounds ridiculous.

I'd be willing to bet that each path will offer both group and individual buffs to increase group and personal performance.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  10. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

This is what I'm thinking. If paths include stat buffs of any sort, making them group/raid-wide instead of just individualized would kill the min/maxing problem with paths right away. I doubt Carbine would allow such an inherent flaw to occur in a competitive environment.
    Thordran likes this.
  11. Drarorm

Drarorm Cupcake-About-Town

Oh god, it's at 9 pages... The reading shall start again, see you in 5 hours!
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  12. Thordran

I agree, I seriously doubt that too. I can't find the interview video before having my coffee, but I recall that the developers had mentioned that they wanted to avoid people getting into the situation at end game where people wouldn't take you in a raid if you chose the "wrong" path or something and they wanted all paths to be useful.

Just thinking off the top of my head for possible things the paths could do for a group:

Explorer: "adventure ho!" show your group the way, greatly increasing your group's movement speed by whatever for a limited time.

Soldier: "on my lead!!", laze the target, giving you and the group increased accuracy for a limited time.

Settler: "stand here idiots!" you instantly construct an aid station that restores x% health and provides x% combat haste for a limited time.

Scientist: "I'mma try science!" you use your scan bot to create a bubble shield that reduces damage taken in the screen area or increases damage dealt by x%.

And for things paths could do that are personal buffs:

Explorer: "can't surprise me!" your danger sense/adrenaline kicks in giving you an extra dodge move and increases your resource recovery.

Soldier: "that's the stuff!" you take a combat stimulant boosting some stat by X for X time. Bonus points for having Granok crack a beer. :D

Settler: "build more gun!" (shameless TF2 reference :) ) You instantly construct a damage station, which fires at the nearest target doing x damage for x seconds.

Scientist: "sick 'em scanbot!" you overload your scanbot increasing its combat effectiveness. It does x damage to a target or increases damage done to that target for x seconds.

Just spitballin' as they say, but I could see all of those (or whatever they come up with) being useful in a raid after you balance em out. Give each path extra options for tanking and healing Make 'em limited time so that you can't just bring one person to solve the problem and BAM! Your path choice is now properly min/maxing you to glory.
  13. Crucifer

From the Paths Page on their own website:

So here blatantly says Soldiers will get more ABILITIES that do DAMAGE. This can be seen in many game play videos talking about both...about unique abilities for them only.

IF THESE ABILITIES can be used between GCDs or do more damage than standard spells...then YES they will give a CLEARLY defined DPS increase.
  14. Thordran

That's great, but what if the other paths have similar individual abilities that do damage as well? Why do you believe that they won't balance them? This is poor design that even a rookie company would know is silly.
  15. Trahma

Trahma Cupcake

I guess this is where only first hand experience and knowledge when it's legally available will make this issue clear. The path video on Soldiers (and regarding the SWAT missions specifically) to me appeared to only be referencing using those abilities in their respective missions. I could be wrong, but I don't think there is enough information to definitively say one way or the other at this time.

Edit: Like Thordran said, we really can't shouldn't just jump the gun and assume it's unbalanced if we have no solid information to go on presently.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  16. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

These are mission types, not abilities.
    Xlugon Pyro and Dnevnoy like this.
  17. FrozenlandPT

FrozenlandPT Cupcake

You guys saw only 1 application of "Ress for Money" and are making a movie about it.

We don't know how that will go in Raids/Dungeons/PvP/Warplots etc.
    Every MMO as one mechanic that permits the player to be alive asap in the world, I really don't mind this one, you pay a bunch of coins and you can only do 1 per 30 minutes.

IF the system is like:
    • The level you are the more you pay and the more CD is.
    • Can't do in PvP, Raids, Dungeons, Warplots
    • Needs to wait 10 secs or 20 until you ress.
    • Armor gets beat up
    And is a ok system, nothing to special and nothing that breaks the game
    Trahma likes this.
  18. Tacomagamefan

Tacomagamefan Cupcake

Just finished all 9 pages of this thread and enjoyed every minute of reading the different perspectives.

The bottom line for me is that the Wildstar devs have specifically said that they are designing the game for both the 99%'ers and the 1%'ers. They want to have meaningful content for all, it seems, because then you have a game that appeals generally to 100%. How great is that?
    Trahma and Tiberius like this.
  19. Kilowatt

Kilowatt New Cupcake

Crucifer, good stuff. I hope the devs are sending you a check every month.
  20. Xaroc

Xaroc New Cupcake

Those are CLEARLY mission types, did you bother reading the article first?