1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Scientist group play?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Trenan, May 23, 2013.

1. Trenan

Trenan New Cupcake

So it seemed to me scientists really got the shaft on the most recent path video. No information was given about how they work in a group setting, or doubled up.

-Soldiers means fights and experimental weapons, more people the bigger the fights.
    -Explorers lead people up jump puzzles and secret areas.
    -Settlers allow for quest hubs, joint efforts to build useful town buildings, and allow group transportation back to base.

Scientists = ?. In the video during the grouping part they said "Scientists provide back story". Like, by just typing it to us in chat? Do they give any sort of play mechanic to the group?

What happens when multiple Scientists get together. What benefits would they gain by doing so? Faster data collections? Multiple interaction with puzzles, so they can be completed faster?

Will party members get temporary Jr. Scanbots to help with data collection?

I like the scientist, but so far Carbine hasn't shown them offering anything to a group in terms of game play. Do the rest of the party stand around while they fiddle with puzzles and scan things? It seems like it's the only Path in which you cannot help out. They literally talked about each Path in terms of doubling up, but skipped Scientist. All speculation of course.
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  2. Outburstz

Outburstz Cupcake-About-Town

Scientist will no doubt be big for Warplots. It was stated that you can catch mobs and put them in your war plot. How will you know how to capture a mob if you do not have data on it? So I believe we will be big in that instance.

Group play we will unlock secret rooms that others will not be able to get into. What is be hide those doors is anybody's guess. It could be loot, buffs, money, etc.

Also because of our knowledge with the mobs we will be able to kill mobs faster then other people in the game because we know their weakness. If your grouped up with a scientist it will be easier to kill groups of mobs because we know their weakness after scanning them.

We can also warn others about things that may look like a plant but are really hard mobs in disguise. Same thing with plants that might admit a dangerous toxic gas that slows you down a lot. We could have a way to beat that toxic and have the group not be affected by it at all.

Mineral affects will be a big help in group play as well. Like the floating rocks for example. Everyone can get those but the scientist will be able to jump even higher because they scan the rocks and know how it works and thus can jump higher then the normal people. Have one in your group you can jump higher too.

Robots that were left by the eldan can be scanned and can be made to help fight with you. I remember an example along those terms where you scan the robots to know their past and how they work.

As for scientist on scientist grouping I bet that if 2 or more scientist are in a group then they will not have to scan as many mobs or items as they would have to scan alone. This could lead to quickly scanning all the things you need in an area. On top of that you can trade notes with the other scientist to see if you missed any mobs or plants in the area or passed areas. So don't worry we will not be left hanging we will be much needed I am sure.
    ruff_ethereal and Azhdaha like this.
  3. Dualist

Dualist Cupcake-About-Town

Be still my heart this will be the feature to end all features.
  4. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

If you're truly interested I suggest going through the links here.
  5. WANDERER

WANDERER New Cupcake

It would be an interesting idea that as a Scientist you offer buffs to those around you for all your damage increases against the researched mobs. And maybe allow settlers to build certain things by being in your 'aura' etc. I assumed Scientists will be the only people who can craft certain things properly too?
  6. Cogburn

Cogburn Cupcake-About-Town

Scientist have scan. Not very exciting I know. What about double scan? That's like twice the scan! No, what about quadruple....

Seriously, scanning is awesome.
    ruff_ethereal, Bomoo and Azhdaha like this.
  7. Trenan

Trenan New Cupcake

Seen and read them all. I am not hating on the scientist Path, but there were specific answers in the Path video that all other paths received except Scientist. Which makes me wonder if they are not completed yet.

Again, a Scientist unlocking a room for the group doesn't allow for special game play for the group, it is simply another room. Now, if the group is allowed to access some of the lore and puzzle items inside said room, that would be great. I just don't want to see Scientists become the black sheep of the Path system and not involve other players because the "scan bot" is something the others do not have access to.

The other paths do not seem to limit the involvement of other players within their Path missions, but at first glance seems like the Scientist might do so.

Without being able to help scan/collect data and solve puzzles, you are basically a tag-along at the mercy of the Scientist.
  8. Azhdaha

Azhdaha Cupcake-About-Town

"Here, before we start I need you all to put one of these on."
    "Wait... what does it do?"

If not floating Scanbot Jrs., then perhaps even just access to a datapad of sorts that wirelessly transfers the data back to your Scanbot (with an associated animation / visual).
  9. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

I would hazzard a guess that the buffs scientist get can transfer to other party/group members so they can use super loftite jumps to access the extra area's with bosses etc

the scientists could also hack/reprogram eldan robots and other technology I think not really sure tho

Carbine Dev we need some clarification here please!...
  10. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

11. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

There's been no evidence to suggest that Scientists opening new areas wouldn't function the same way as Explorers doing so, meaning there very well may be other things for other paths in those areas. Assuming that there isn't will just feed your fears. It was explained that after a Scientist would scan a puzzle, people in the area could help her solve it. That is group play, even if you're not "in a group."
  12. SteveDiggler24

SteveDiggler24 Cupcake-About-Town

Well, in the video released in the epic drop there is a scene where a scientist examines what looks to be a control panel & opens a door.

I could imagine scenarios where a scientist could scan/examine certain objects within a dungeon, and if all items are scanned/discovered, this gives the scientist the knowledge/ability to open a certain area within a dungeon. This could lead to quest line, extra boss, or even a tribute of some sort with gear/money rewards.

As far as scientist group play, I'm no stranger to approaching the leveling process solo. While I do enjoy group content/play, I've never felt obligated to group with others to complete quests I could do solo unless the opportunity presents itself.

With that said, the Scientist path appeals to me because it adds a completely different dimension to my solo play in that while grinding through quests & exploring zones, I'm scanning mobs & objects, acquiring achievements, and diving into the lore of Nexus. I've never been a lore-focused gamer before, and even with a game like World of Warcraft I have never made it a priority.

The scientist path appeals to me because I feel it adds the most to my play style at the moment, having never played the game before. Then again, that's the whole point of the path system, right?

Soldiers together will benefit from more difficult events, but the same happens when they group with a scientist.

Explorers can experience jump puzzles & discovering secret caverns together, but the same can be done with a scientist.

Settlers can build faction benefits quicker when together, but the benefits of what is created can also help a scientist.

Scientists together can.... what? I don't know, but it's more important to me about what I can bring to a diverse group as far as paths as opposed to what a few scientists grouped together can do.

Another thought that just came to me as I theory-craft my best case scenario for Scientist play..

I wonder if in the elder game, certain scientist scans/unlocks to benefit their guild/raid party will require a certain proficiency/path level.

Or along the lines of attuning for a raid dungeon, a scientist will be required to have discovered/scanned certain things that have lead up to the raid dungeon or are relevant to the raid dungeon in order to have the competency to open that secret door, or give the raid party that little edge over a certain boss.

The possibilities are endless!! Keep your pants on, Cupcake, It's almost time to research the <REDACTED> out of Nexus.
    ruff_ethereal and moneda like this.
  13. SilentJ

SilentJ Cupcake

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/05/22/hands-on-with-wildstars-scientist-path-and-esper-class/ This article over on Massively mentions that nearby players gain access to the Loftite buff, and there's features for their paths in areas you help them reach. My question, and I think this is somewhat the intent of the OP as well, is what the benefit is for having multiple Scientists grouping together. They gave examples for the other 3 paths. Explorers can race, Soldiers can make bigger holdouts, and Settlers can work together on infrastructures for an XP bonus.
  14. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

What about more complicated puzzles, the kind that would take more than one person to complete?
  15. Blade

Blade Cupcake

I figure having multiple scientists would let you scan/unlock stuff faster. Maybe even get cumulative bonuses from those scans.

@moneda

Dirty Harry's actual quote is: But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
  16. Flannan

Flannan Cupcake

As far as group play with other classes, I think that the Explorer and the Scientist will complement each other, since each has to go out into the world to fulfill their path. Where as the warrior/settler will complement each other since it seems the majority of their "group" quests/buildings are in or near a town.
    But as a Scientist you will never be alone, because you will always have your scanbot with you!
  17. Sera Serenity

Sera Serenity Cupcake-About-Town

As mentioned above you can see how the scientist and the explore (much like your example) of settler warrior would work. Explorer finds a thing, and a scientist scans it to help revel how to use it... Also I think it has been stated that they can also build pets after they have scanned robots and stuff. Perhaps they can also provide group buffs... I would have o e around just for the pet robot scanner... Wonder if it can draw aggro...
  18. Flannan

Flannan Cupcake

If it did draw agro, once you get out of the starting zones, it would probably get one shot by anything that it agroed (unless its HP scaled, if it had any to begin with). I haven't heard anything about being able to build pets, but it would make sense and would be cool if that is true. I do know that you will be able to name your scanbot to w.e you want, which I think is awesome by itself.
  19. Sera Serenity

Sera Serenity Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah there was something about after scanning lots of robots you could make mini one, but can't remember if that was official you some bodies surgestion.

Even a one shot pony can be useful in wining a fight, even if I just redirect a single attack
  20. Flannan

Flannan Cupcake

True, just meaning that if it were to get one shot over and over, reviving it each time would get old fast.