1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

SDCC Coverage Compilation Thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Zap-Robo, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

I don't know if I like the fact that the "contagion" was self-inflicted. It kind of breaks the pattern of the "exile race was <REDACTED>ed over by the Dominion and fights back"

now it's just "all these races were wronged by the Dominion and now want to fight them......and the Mordesh."

They created a plague and the Dominion quarantined them, to...you know...save everyone else in the galaxy, if you're going to get pissed off at them for that you must be pretty stupid.

Their backstory would work much better if they were offered a chance in the Dominion, declined it, and then the Dominion inflicted them with the contagion. Flows much better.
  2. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

lol
    lol i didnt think yal were even looking at all so srry just sayin

ill back off now!!!!!

i just kept saying it because no one really commented til now
  3. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

No word yet what happens if a Chua gets wet or is fed past midnight?

I am glad that the devs have already thought to address, in the ZAM articled linked by OP, the PvP issues that can arise when one race is smaller in size than the other races.
  4. Afrotech

Afrotech Cupcake-About-Town

Maybe but, then someone could ask well if the Dominion had that kind of bio-weapon tech why wouldn't they just use it on all they're enemies?
  5. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

well i would be pretty pissed and offended if you offered me a high possition but when i have a deadldy desiese you dont try at all to help me you just shoot me down if come close

srry for spelling
  6. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

could be a prototype or maybe they sabotaged the Everlife Elixir as retaliation for the Mordesh not joining them (and thus not letting the Dominion take advantage of their alchemy abilities)

idk It just seems like "they quarantined our dying contagious race" isn't really a great "revenge story" like the other races. The Aurin had their homeworld destroyed, and with their connection to the "weave" that would have made it a million times worse as they could feel every tree on their home planet being chopped down and ground up.

I just don't think "man they were kinda rough dealing with our own personal <REDACTED> up" measures up to that.

I mean...how do you pull off a "nice" quarantine? Did they not air drop enough milk and cookies?
  7. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

but they were just about to join the dominion before the elixir came out
  8. Afrotech

Yeah I admit that part is a bit thin I would expect the Dominion to be more efficient maybe they threaten to destroy the entire Modesh planet just to be sure no one escapes and the Exiles somehow help them off the planet before the destruction.

LOL :roflamo:
  9. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

maybe the Dominion went down to the Mordesh planet and just started shooting down civilians all Day of the Dead style.

but srsly, your race invented a contagious zombie plague , I don't care how "cruel" the quarantine was, you deserved it.
  10. Jarimor

Jarimor Cupcake

The Black Hoods vs. the ICI was one of the things that struck me as most intriguing about the Mordesh too, I mentioned it specifically when talking to Chad and Mike.

I'm really impressed with the races overall, their distinctiveness is obvious but there's a duality to their nature which fits thematically into both sides.
    Those narrative designers at Carbine got the skills.
    eselle8 and Afrotech like this.
  11. Afrotech

Don't act like the Chua are somehow above blowing up all of Nexus by mistake or because they got wet or were fed after midnight.
    eselle8 likes this.
  12. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Dominion races don't count on account of them all being evil.
    Afrotech likes this.
  13. Afrotech

It gives balance to both factions there are many players that just automatically gravitate towards what is considered the good or the bad guys and somehow the bad guys often seem cooler which creates an imbalance that can be bad for pvp from sever to server.

Now people are torn and even maybe confused about which side to pick which I think is great. :sneaky:
  14. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

I think it's a pretty nice break in the pattern :p. The Humans, Aurin, and the Granok just straight-up oppose the Dominion's philosophies on a fundamental level.

The Mordesh, on the other hand, were a much more prideful race, who were fully willing to join the Dominion at first. Only after they were afflicted by the Contagion and saw the 'ugly' side of the Dominion did the Mordesh receive their lesson in humility, but they still have a ways to go; and I think that that'll lead to some particularly interesting stories with them. ^_^
  15. Ulfur

Ulfur Cupcake

Found this... enjoy
  16. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

the
    well the exiles arent good either.... at least mercinaries and out laws arent good in my book but hey call em what you want
  17. madrabbit

madrabbit Cupcake

Good post, but I fail to see how they would have any issue with making more animations. I'm sure it's a hard job to do, and I'm sure it would take a lot of time to complete the animations for each class and race. I just don't see how they wouldn't want to spend the time to do it. I'd venture it would be time and effort well spent to fix up a few more animations. You mention blandness, but I can't think of much that would be more bland than seeing the majority of a race being the same class because of lack of options. They already have a small amount of classes to begin with.

Paths are interesting, yes, but mainly a gimmick in my opinion. The bread and butter will be overall gameplay, and the path system is a sideshow. Character customization will be good for sure as they know they are being held to a higher standard. Players have high expectations for what should be available during character customization, and if they wish to appeal to the majority of players they will aim to meet those expectations. I'm not worried that they won't handle that aspect well, and to the maximum of their ability. Crafting is expected, but will not hold a candle to player class since the majority of your time will be spent hitting keys that execute abilities related to the class you chose--except those few who will choose to craft or socialize around town in lieu of getting out in the world. Weapon and armor variations, great. It should be expected. Great looking weapons and armor have been a staple to nearly every Korean MMORPG to date, and yet they are constantly under fire because of gameplay issues. Amazing armor and weapons will not keep your game afloat. Great character customization will also not keep your game above water alone.

I'm not saying it's the only option. I'm saying that I think they should rethink their current position. It's unwise to dive into the market with too many limiting factors. Regardless of how you dress it, the end result will be subpar. I'm also not arguing against your point. You have a very valid point, and I believe that combat animations are absolutely high priority. They truly can make or break an action combat game. I guess I'll keep posting in this thread since it isn't as lively as I thought it would be.
  18. Jarimor

Jarimor Cupcake

As I've barely slept and I'm paranoid, just to clear this up I went back to the audio. There was some initial confusion as the devs checked the information. Initially it seemed things were being said off the top of their heads then a list was used. Here's the conversation:
    "Chris Lynch is our lead combat designer here. He's making a cameo appearance if you will...<INSERT Charles Nelson Reilly on The Love Boat joke>.

Chris: The Mordesh can be both the two new classes, they can be Warrior, they can be a Stalker...
    Interruption from Mike Donatelli: You talking about the Mordesh?
    <Shuffling about>Chris: Here it comes.
    Donatelli<reading from a list>: The Mordesh can be a Warrior, a Stalker, a Spellslinger and one of the classes we have not announced yet.
    The Chua can be a Spellslinger, an Esper and one of the, actually two of the classes we haven't announced yet."

This was from where my confusion stems. Later one of the devs mentioned both races having access to two unannounced classes but it wasn't entirely clear on my audio.

It could be that the Mordesh can be both unannounced classes, but with what was said in the excerpt above and that the number of classes would not be the same, I stated as I did in the article.

I'll put in the article that it could be the Mordesh can be both secret classes and I'll reach out to Carbine for clarification.

Phew. Fridays eh?
  19. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

WHY DO PEOPLE DIS THE MORDESH ?????!!!!!!!!!!

the only reasen the have the contagion is beacuase the top top/credible scientist said it was an imortalizing juice and they just trusted him

and once they got the semi cure they couldn't turn to the dominion for help...theyed just shoot e'm. so they turned to the next best thing the welcoming exiles
  20. Cazargar

Cazargar Cupcake

No way. I think this makes everything more real. Your suggested back story I think would make everything too easy. It's a Plain Jane good and evil scenario. The way it is makes more sense. The Dominion feel they have been charged with protecting and maintaining order and the only way to do that with such a quick spreading disease is to lock it down.
    Jarinolde likes this.