1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

SDCC Coverage Compilation Thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Zap-Robo, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

And maybe they will, in an expansion or mid game update. It's just not in the plans for launch. Nobody expected gnomes to ever be able to heal in World of Warcraft, but sure enough though players are able to do so now. It's just a matter of time.

As for why not all in at launch? My best guess is that the resources used to make all the current class and race combinations with the unique animations was about what it would take to make all class and race combinations possible with generic combinations. To ask them to include it all at launch would be like asking another game that doesn't have these kinds of restrictions to include even more classes out of thin air, and doing so would step dangerously close to feature creep.

Thanks Scott, I appreciate looking into it. As a person who plans to have a Mordesh alt, I must know whether or not it can be both of the unknown classes. My hope isn't that they can be both, it's that I want it to be the unknown healing class. Having the answer be that they can be both removes any chances of my hopes being crushed.

EDIT:
    This, Carbine has said they want to stay away from "this side is good and this side is bad" as much as possible. They love the discussions and debates about it, but don't want definitive answers to exist.
  2. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I really wish they would have taken it a step further and put in a unique class for each side, and yes I know everyone always screams "unbalanced and op" in vanilla wow, but they don't need to copy the unbalanced and op parts. I felt it was a mysterious and compelling reason to try both factions in wow.
    Witless likes this.
  3. Mumba

Mumba New Cupcake

Was just about to link it!

Gotta say it's the small details that i love, check the water current at 04:40 draging the Chua :)
    Mr_Wayne and Ulfur like this.
  4. MrFallenAngel

MrFallenAngel New Cupcake

OMG Thank you so much i was watching Zeebo and the whole chat blow up, but i was at work so i couldnt watch it. Just randomly check in on the chat. Im watching it as we speek.

As to the fact of good or bad, They have left it up to the Fan Base for a reason. It stirs up conversation and thus spreads intrigue and also causes people to pick sides even more. They have not claimed the Chua are evil all they have said is they are "Mischievous" that doesnt mean evil at all, below this i will post the definition.

I cant choose which race ill play yet... Chua or what. I will be a healer though.

maliciously or playfully annoying.
    causing annoyance, harm, or trouble.

roguishly or slyly teasing, as a glance.

harmful or injurious.
    Ulfur likes this.
  5. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

I'm sure they thought it was contagious :whistling: (at least the propaganda say so)

I think you've read too much into Granoks :)

I think that Dominion's response was very friendly. I was more expecting something like this:
    dominion type of response.jpg
  6. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

the mordesh, think the aurin welcomed them or at least accepted them and might want to help them- becuase aurins are friendly and curious by nature (shown when the exiles first came to their planet) so i dont think all of the races are scared of them.
  7. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Naw, they're actually trying to make both factions as equal as they can to avoid people making one side too populated

its the reason both sides have humans, both sides have big guys, both sides have a cute animal race etc etc

they want you to pick the faction you want to pick, not the faction you have to pick in order to play a certain class or character archtype
    Afrotech likes this.
  8. Ulfur

Ulfur Cupcake

Maybe some lore from the Wildstar website might help you decide what the Chua are specifically the bold part.

9. Ulfur

Ulfur Cupcake

That was cool to point out as something like water drag just feels good and can make any aquatic environment drastically different from one another.

Something else I liked that was much more obvious was that the Chua after a double jump roll on the ground for a moment which is awesome to me.
  10. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

*sigh*
    It feels really good to finally not moderate out the Chua and the Redact... the Mordesh. :)
    Extatica likes this.
  11. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

You mean like swtor did? Where there were "different" classes on either side, though they were just mirrors of the same thing (although they didn't actually function exactly as mirrors with different skins.)

Personally I'm glad they're equal, and I think with the path systems, players will be likely to roll alts more readily, and the races being flavorful enough on either side, and from what it sounds, the story on either side is rich and deep, so if that's not enough for you to try out both factions, an arbitrary "You have to because there's a class over there you haven't tried" sort of forces players on a faction, while they may not have originally picked that faction. For instance, if all of your friends played alliance, but you wanted to be a shaman, you're SOL, you either have to convince all your friends to play Horde or give up on the class you actually wanted to be or find some new friends.
  12. Jarimor

Jarimor Cupcake

Instead you can focus on the "Coughahemmurmurrr" and "Caflurglerump" classes. ;)
    Myrrdhinn and Witless like this.
  13. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I never said I didn't know or understand what the opposing viewpoint was saying, I just said I enjoyed the mystery around a unique class on the "other side"....besides, the OCD crowd is going to be against anything that isn't equal so there is going to be a difference of opinion whenever a subject like that comes up.
    I liked the unique racial bonuses too, I can recall a few grumbles here and there, but I don't remember people going into convulsions on the floor because of it.

/shrug
  14. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

I agree with the point that it added mystery. But I think the problems that it caused were not worth that mystery. How much mystery will be sacrificed to ensure balance or vice versa? I think it's a touch challenge. Same goes for racials. Personally I'm against actual beneficial racials. But I do get the cryout for flavour that racials add. Again a tough balance. I'm not sure the costs of abilities is enough to give racial flavour if I'm honest. But I do prefer that route over giving sicko racials around
  15. Jarimor

Jarimor Cupcake

My pleasure, the last thing I want to do is give out incorrect information to the community.
    However...

I contacted Carbine and Mike Donatelli stated that the Chua and Mordesh had the same number of class options--one of the reasons I didn't think the Mordesh could be both new classes, if they could, they would have an extra class than the Chua.
    To make absolutely sure I listed the Mordesh's classes as Warrior, Stalker, Spellslinger and one of the unannounced options--not two--and the representative at Carbine replied "That's my understanding."

I hope that clears things up.
    Witless likes this.
  16. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I'm confused what mystery is created if you can just roll a character of that class anyway to figure out exactly how they work. It's the same mystery as any other class. I suppose there's a little more of a barrier if you can't directly ask the person in game how it works, but you can always look it up on the internet.

Basically any difference in class will give this same mystery, as you can have an idea of how they work, but usually without actually playing them, you won't know exactly all the inner workings of them. You could say "Just ask your friend" or "Watch a guide," but without actually playing them you'll just have a basic understanding.

I think if you're going to make one class different, you would be better off to make all the classes different for each faction. This makes it easier to balance the two factions as opposed to balancing 4 classes, and then balancing 1 class against each other. This is easily seen in starcraft and starcraft 2, which is arguably one of the better balanced games of all time, where it has 3 factions, each with completely different units which mesh differently, but the overall balance of each faction is basically balanced with another. Each faction has a completely different feel to the game as well, in priorities and how armies and bases are made.

As a side note, it's not the OCD crowd crying out about it that's the issue, Carbine has stated they want to make something that's extremely balanced. That's nigh impossible if you consider one class that's different based on the faction. Also, I think the way the races are set, faction balance will be fairly even on every server, doing something like one class that turns out to be better than the other disturbs this drastically.
  17. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

Thanks again. I still have some hope but I've seen the leaked footage and I'm almost ready to believe that Mordesh will not be able to be the final healing class... a shame considering the race's background and how it relates to what is unofficially known about that healing class.

Oh well, Spellslinger Mordesh it is then.
  18. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

well of course it would, why wouldn't Carbine just make it like any of the other classes instead of "better".

Ya, I don't know how word my reply to answer your question. I'm in favor of that style of game, where some things you just don't have on both sides. I also believe that Carbine could do a better balancing job than blizzard did in vanilla. This game already has a bunch of things that make people feel like they have to do "this"
    in order to do "this". I'm in favor of that type of game philosophy, people are going to shout "unbalance" no matter what, and they are going to do it every day, about every ability.
    I'm not campaigning for them to change things, I just said I enjoyed that aspect of the game.
    Witless likes this.
  19. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Pretty sure I understand what you're trying to say in that you want factions to feel unique, but I think it would be better/easier to balance the game if there are no common points. For instance, in 10 man and 25 man raiding in WoW it's balanced to be "equally difficult." It's hard for the player base to decide what's the "easiest" in those, because some bosses the smaller group content will be harder, for other bosses the larger will be.

Similarly, if you have 4 of 5 or 5 of 6 classes the same on either faction, but then the remaining class tends to mesh "better" with the shared classes, you start to get faction population imbalances because of something that is objective. Now, if they can make racials and stuff so that it's really really really hard to pinpoint which faction is better for any given content, it would be fine. But the issue/challenge there is to make it both meaningful, but not overpowered. That is why I suggested making them completely different, if they were going to have different classes for each faction, but it's unlikely that they would do this. This is because things like even though spellslingers would both be in both factions, they would likely be called different things, and actually be taught different skills.

I do agree that flavor is important for factions and races, and I think that's the word you're kind of searching for, that depth of lore and such, but I think classes are generally a skill set of a character, this should go across faction lines in general, unless there is a lore reason not to.

Another thing they've touched on recently is that there's no real good or bad side in this game, the Mordesh are kind of the Exile's intelligence network and do their dirty work so the other races don't have to know what's being done. This could be things like assassinations, disease spreading, infiltrating and destroying civilizations in order for the rest of the exiles can feel warm and fuzzy, and stay disconnected from what they've actually done. So, I think there's going to be a depth of faction lore on both sides. I'd imagine they're going to have things about the separation of the Humans from the Cassians and such in the elder game, which will further this depth.

So, I think what you're talking about is important, I also think that it can be done other ways.
  20. Matt Perry

Matt Perry New Cupcake

I don't mean to impede on anyone's thread conversation but by any chance does anyone know where I would be able to find coverage of the panel carbine was hosting at SDCC. I have been scouring the internet trying to find it to no prevail. Am I missing something? Or has no one posted a video of the panel yet.