1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

SDCC Coverage Compilation Thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Zap-Robo, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

it's the gamespot stage demo, its posted on page 4.

2. Matt Perry

Matt Perry New Cupcake

Are you sure that is the only Wildstar event (other than the Arkship) at SDCC? The most recent Wildstar Wednesday told us of a panel titled "Bringing an MMO to Life: The Stories and Characters of WildStar!"

This is the description they gave us: Storytelling and character development in MMOs can be extremely challenging, but both are vital when trying to launch a new IP. Our Lead Narrative Designer Chad Moore, Content Director Mike Donatelli, Creative Director Matt Mocarski, and Design Producer Stephen Frost will break down how characters and stories are developed in WildStar, and the ways they are reflected in the game. Join Carbine as they talk about the creation of key characters, the development of story arcs, and how it all culminates into making the player the star of the show.

I guess I was just expecting something different, more along the lines of the panel they held at Pax East. Either way, thank you for the help.
  3. Daynejah

Daynejah Cupcake

There was no live stream from the panel. They took video from that panel but I do not believe it has been posted anywhere yet. All we have for now are a few transcribed questions on fan sites and the "dirty little secret" video they showed during the panel.
  4. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I must have missed that announcement, I didn't know about it.

:(

At least we all have something more to look forward to. :sneaky:
  5. Jarimor

Jarimor Cupcake

That's correct. We may get to see the panel video, it's apparently being discussed but no definite decision had been made, at least it hadn't on Thursday.
  6. Mr_Wayne

Mr_Wayne Cupcake

Im just like you man, the smallest details are always the best for me. Seriously. Like the Chua's little roll after he jumps, the very animated jump itself, the smiles they have when they run (chua), vegetation blowing in the wind, water graphics etc. Just shows attention to details and care they have for the game, in my opinon

Annnnnnnnnd did anyone else hear the "Double Kill" after he killed the two feline creatures? Ooooh hell yeeeeahhhhhhh
  7. Mr_Wayne

Mr_Wayne Cupcake

That roll kicks ass! I dont know about you but after watching the Chua fight and move, everyone else seems stiff XD
  8. Anlath

Anlath UK/EU Community Manager for WildStar

To clarify:

At SDCC there was the main panel (which was filmed but not livestreamed) where we revealed the Chua and Mordesh , a Stage Demo (which is the video above, this was livestreamed) that just shows off some of the Chua and Housing, and then there was the Arkship.

;)
    BlindSear likes this.
  9. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Thanks for the info!
  10. Polecat

Polecat New Cupcake

When I see some chua I just wanna say SNAAARF!?
  11. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

Is it just me or do the Mordesh look a bit elven...?
  12. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

I believe it to be quite intentional. They after all still needed an undead-like race and an elven-like race. The question was which one to go with?

This was their answer.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Also, still no sign of that elusive panel footage. I believe we've all been duped!
    αRomeo likes this.
  13. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

Cyborg, undead elves. I mean, who wouldn't go for that? I know I'm tempted.
  14. Xalon

Xalon Cupcake-About-Town

Read the ZAM article they have confirmed Chua's get both of the last classes which out of one will 90% chance be melee
  15. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Where are you getting these statistics from? 90% chance? It's not like it's a luck thing, where Carbine has a deck of cards they're pulling classes from, and it happens that there's 9 melee classes left and 10 cards in the deck. It's a sci-fi western type theme, which, if you look at all westerns probably 80% of the people fight with ranged weapons (mainly bows and arrows) and 20% use melee (fists, hatchets, axes, clubs, etc.). So, if we go by that math, there's not much of a chance of melee equivalent classes. If we go sci-fi, a similar pattern emerges, where more people use ranged weapons than melee.
  16. Xalon

Xalon Cupcake-About-Town

You have to take balance into account however, it would be very hard to not make melee classes op if there was only 1/3 of them and content would be focused around all ranged, kind of like GW2. They are going to have another melee class to have balance.
  17. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

What? That makes no sense at all. WoW raid teams had probably about 1/5 of the team with melee dps on a 10 man, and possibly 1/3 of the raid team at melee dps on 25 man. They can balance the content however they want, and the players will bring the necessary roles to complete that content. If you make a class stronger than the others, the group becomes self balancing, as gearing will be more competitive in PVE. PVP is always balanced class against class, so unless the class balances are off you can't focus on "ranged content" in PVP. So, content is created and balanced to promote an inclusion on all classes equally. Secondly, it is easy to balance content to be harder for melee than it is for Ranged, as melee has to move more. GW2 is a poor example for PVE content, as there's no trinity, so a lot of the balancing automatically puts the ranged players at an advantage.

Secondly, it looked like with the SDCC stage floor demo, that Esper had a melee ability which was spammable. This means some ranged classes have melee ranged abilities. We've also seen melee classes with ranged abilities in the aiming video, where the Warrior lobs some sort of AoE effect at an enemy. So, classes to seem somewhat of a mish-mash of different ranges. This means content has to be balanced with this in mind anyway, with all classes being a mix of ranged and melee abilities.

Lastly, you're assuming all classes will be played equally, and that melee classes will be buffed in order to create a 50/50 split among melee and ranged players. There are other factors at work that will make this balance happen anyway though, or keep it from happening. Some players only play melee characters, and will never play a ranged class, some are the other way around. I'd say a vast majority of players do this type of thing, and you could have 1 melee class and you'd still see similar distribution numbers. Once a pattern of "most powerful class" emerges, you have a lot of players following the class of the month, based on patch changes. Also, class/race limitations come into play. Some players want to be a certain race, so this limits their options to be classes, so they pick the class they like the best from their favorite race's options.

33% of your player base is nothing to scoff at, nor is it something which allows you to horribly imbalance the classes. In fact, game design should cause players to organically pick roles so that statistically the population break-down is similar to that of a raid composition (or whatever group play composition for large groups). In other words, if they expect raid comp to be something like 33% melee, you should attempt to also make it so the player base naturally picks 33% melee roles. This was recruiting becomes easier, and competition for all class slots is relatively similar, so you get roughly equal quality of players for all slots. So, again, making players have roughly the same number of role options has no strong correlation on the balance of the game. I would say there's a 50% chance that one of them are melee or ranged.