1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Self healing for every class

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Leiloni, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Leiloni

Leiloni Cupcake-About-Town

So here's the quote from a recent Tentonhammer article. He mentions in his article that every class can self heal in some way which I hadn't yet heard anywhere before:

Being news to me I asked him on Reddit where he got this info and he said the below.
    Personally I'm not a fan of the idea. I'm ok with the standard health potions and out of combat bandages of other games, but a self heal skill is taking it a bit too far. I'd rather stick with traditional trinity game mechanics. But I'm curious what everyone else thinks?
    Witless, Oconnell, Woofly and 2 others like this.
  2. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

I'm fine with it, I do not feel strongly one way or the other. But it sure will make life easier, to level a bit.
    oppi26 likes this.
  3. Arsonist

Arsonist Cupcake

idgaf. not putting any weight into this game till i get to play a beta. they can thank nc soft for my suspicion
  4. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

<REDACTED>ty idea, as it encroaches on the trinity.

You never <REDACTED> with the holy trinity!
  5. HappinessFactory

HappinessFactory Cupcake

Well as a PvP player I see a lot of good things and bad things with self heal.

The biggest pro self heal argument I think is not needing dedicated healers for everything. Which would be nice because finding players who find healing fun are extremely rare (maybe this will change with wildstar healing). Self heal might make pure dps comps more viable so it's not a near requirement to run a healer in most situations.

However, playing GW2 (where this is no holy trinity) there is a tendency to make hybrid builds that do okay damage, okay healing, and have okay resistances for all classes. These builds are boring to play and boring to play against as it takes a lengthy (if not infinite) amount of time to resolve a fight. These builds also blur the line between classes as there is no defined strengths and weaknesses to each class in case of raw dps output or healing power.

I'm hopeful this will be a good inclusion to Wildstar's combat as long as they don't take self healing as far as Guild Wars 2 did.
    Woofly and Saybel like this.
  6. Leiloni

I do think it will change with Wildstar healing. If they do combat right it'll be awesome.
  7. GoatSlayrr

GoatSlayrr Well-Known Cupcake

If it's self only and (I think this is a pretty safe assumption here) not enough to keep yourself up without a real healer in group combat, I don't see any problem. Does the same job as bandages or pots, but with a unique class feel to it.
    effervescent and Sonntam like this.
  8. Flinder

Flinder Cupcake

Self heal on non-healing classes in a solo context doesn't make much sense to me. Why not just give them more HP to start with? Why make me use up a LAS slot and a GCD to add those HP on the fly?

If its a healing *effect* that ancillary to some other ability, or if its a passive HP infusion that triggers as a proc on a condition and if these effects can be augmented by my stat/gear choices then that makes more sense to me because there's some proper "game" to it.
    Saybel likes this.
  9. Lokken

Lokken New Cupcake

10. Leiloni

Procs in general I hope they have very few of. It's just RNG and takes away from the skill of the game.

But something like what the Spellslinger had in Zap's video makes more sense. It's a class that can be dps or heal so it's natural to have a healing ability. However since he's specced for dps and not healing it does less, and also has the catch that it heals for less on the run than it does when stationary. That's a useful skill that has appropriate tradeoffs. It can make leveling easier for a squishy caster but that's about it.
    Sonntam likes this.
  11. Flinder

Flinder Cupcake

hmm, if that's the case then "having more HP" takes away skill too, doesn't it? I mean, if I have more HP, I can make more mistakes.

I guess maybe you mean a system where it makes sense to min/max to get proc effects that happen at random? That would be a basic balance problem with a particular proc and not a flaw with the proc mechanic per se.
    Malorak likes this.
  12. Leiloni

Well no having more HP has nothing to do with RNG, you can gear for that. Random procs are what I don't like. Things you can't control that can turn the tide of a fight not because you used the right skill at the right time, but just because the RNG gods smiled upon you that day. But that's off topic lol.
    Saybel likes this.
  13. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

Out of combat I could care less. BUT if it is an in combat heal then I will be urined!

That is the job of the healers!
    Sapien likes this.
  14. Flinder

Flinder Cupcake

The kind of thing I was talking about would be, for example, a berserk state a character entered when they got below 20% HP. So the "proc" is that once they get below 20%, they regen for a few seconds. The amount of regen per tick is determined by their level of some stat. Then that's on a cooldown too. I used the word proc for that because its a thing that happens under a set of conditions. If there's a better word, let me know and I'll use it from now on ^_^

Anyhow, point is that that's the kind of Self Heal that makes sense to me - especially in a Limited Action Set kind of game.
  15. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Not...really. I mean if six monsters attack you for 20 points each and you have a self heal for 30, you're still in deep <REDACTED> without a healer.

Or if the self heal is a tiny HoT, getting too much damage at once is still bad.

This is less of a healer replacement and more of a down-time minimizer.

Not to mention, with a limited action set, you have to determine if you WANT to take the self heal, instead of another damaging attack that might be more useful.

healers are safe, settle down
    Sonntam and GoatSlayrr like this.
  16. Pejo

Pejo Cupcake-About-Town

That is where our opinion differs - if every class is going to be able to throw some sort of heal on themselves, then it needs to be part of the LAS instead of a proc. This makes it a conscious decision instead of just something you gain for 'free'. Heal falls in the same category as utility spells - they should be part of your LAS and it needs to be up to you on choosing them. This allows LAS to actually have a meaningful impact versus you never changing them.

As for every class having a self heal, I'm not a fan. I would rather have healing potions/bandages as stated above. Also agree that for those classes that have a heal as an offspec, they should get a weaker version and I love that it gets even weaker when moving.
    Migrayne likes this.
  17. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

We already knew healer/dps classes would have access to healing abilities. Now, it just means that there are self-healing tanking CDs that the tank/dps classes can use. I don't see a problem with it, it alone will not replace healers.
  18. atom

atom Cupcake-About-Town

Mountain = Mole Hill.

Most games have some useful self-heal. WoW is a pretty great model for a lot of things, and self-healing is certainly one of them in most (not all) aspects. Example: warrior healing with enraged regen and impending victory/victory rush. It helps you through solo content and gives you some additional survivability as a tank during <REDACTED>ty times, as well as it does for DPS when healers die, go oom, you're LOS, you stand in <REDACTED> slightly longer than you should have, etc. It allows for a small degree of failure from you or another.

I don't think that a rogue-type should have the ability to heal like a dedicated healer. However, solo-content and raid-content wise it makes sense to have some healing capabilities to smooth out gameplay.

That being said, I prefer a harder difficulty than what I'm advocating for here but feel it would probably be too much for the casuals who will infest W*.
  19. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Logic has no place here
  20. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

Self heals do open up the possibility of creating hard and balanced solo content, but also increases the amount of things that need to be balanced in PvP.