1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Server population distribution issue

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by FairyTailisBack, Oct 12, 2013.

1. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

Is there any word from carbine about how, or even if, they have any plans to try to regulate the population distribution on the servers? Anyways, I had an idea that I think could work well to solve these problems.

Problem
    We don't want some servers to have 10 times the number of players as others, but at the same time we don't want to lock the servers and prevent friends from being on the same server.

Solution
    When a server's population becomes too high, list the server as full. A full server, however isn't inaccessible, but rather induces a wait of say 10 minutes to any new player trying to make a character on that server. This wait will deter anyone, but the extremely determined, to make a character on that server.

If the wait time was 10 mins on a full server, and 0 minutes on any other, then I am willing to bet most people wouldn't sit around 10 minutes to join that full server unless they had good reason to.
  2. Rentah

Rentah Cupcake-About-Town

I wouldnt call 10 minutes extremly determined. In WoW during expansions i was waiting for 1-3 hours patiently and i wouldnt even call myself hardcore.

What could be a better option is for free migration to servers when a server becomes full, AT ALL TIMES. Never any ruckus. Just change. I never wanted to leave my server and my friends. And thats reason 1. Reason 2: I would never pay money to transfer a character. I didnt do anything wrong by creating a character the game developers thought was a good idea to LOCK and make a profit out of. Its a greed mechanic.

Another example. That you could migrate and "visit" another server. If you group up and want to play with a friend. You can simply jump to his less occupied server and play with him/her. So there's never this line you need to cross and lose things behind.
    Tribe likes this.
  3. Vermana

Vermana Cupcake-About-Town

Just don't make that many servers, IMO.

If you look at ANY MMORPG in the past five years or so, they release with 30 servers, only half of them are very active and only five of them are full, and then the players in the inactive servers rage because their server sucks.
    Then the company merges half the servers so that there are only 15 servers, and that always takes several months to get done. By then even MORE people have quit because half the servers are empty and terrrible, and they have to merge AGAIN, and go Free to Play on top of that.
    They get a big influx of F2P players and the servers fill up for a couple months, and then all the F2P freeloaders get bored, or the next Call of Duty title gets released, and they ALL leave and now only a few servers are full, so they merge AGAIN.

Just start out with <10 servers at the start. Six 'general purpose/NA servers': One RP server, One RPPvP server, two PvE servers, two PvP servers.
    Then regionals: an Oceanic server, an Asia server, an EU server, and a Middle East/India server.

That's six servers for NA and general purposes and four servers for specific regions and languages. If the servers support enough players this would be fine. If they don't, add more, and people can suck it up and wait in queues in the meantime. If you don't have the patience to wait in a queue for a few minutes when you want to log in, you don't really want to play the game.
  4. FairyTailisBack

The issue I have with free transfers is that its a solution after the fact. It does nothing to remedy the problem at the start. Also, as you said people get settled into a server and they don't want to leave. I would expect the open server transfers don't accomplish much for Blizzard.

You could visit another server by simply making an alt on the sever.

If the wait time was 10 mins on a full server, and 0 minutes on any other, then I am willing to bet most people wouldn't sit around 10 minutes to join that full server unless they had good reason to.
  5. FairyTailisBack

Your idea isn't bad, though maybe a bit extreme. The problem I have with this idea is it seems to be a preventative measure for a bad MMO that has no plans to try to expand.
    FF14 did this for example.

Another issue I see here, is that some people like to play on low or medium population servers.

I just don't think carbine needs to do this.
  6. NabeShogun

NabeShogun Cupcake

I would say let people transfer servers free for the first few month until the initial surge dies off and the populations stabalise (similar to what GW2 did) ... but what with names being realm unique I'm pretty worried about how mitigations and merges will happen
    Zinn likes this.
  7. Mierelle

Mierelle Cupcake-About-Town

Two smaller tricks I've seen, not really solveing the problem but at least decreasing it:

Destribute the Pre-Created Guilds, maybe not the best option but by assigning guilds towards different realms you don't only have a hand in the population destributed between the realms but also between the factions.

Recomend a Realm, if new account automaticly jumps to less populated realm, and thus adding an extra step to choose the realm of your liking. If players first get the option to choose the server them selves, a lot of players have a habit of choosing the same realm.
  8. Ellianar

Ellianar Cupcake-About-Town

Really like your idea about servers, let's remind everyone murica is the center of the world and all the other country human beings are way below!
    Mercenary, CaRaDaGaiTa and Malorak like this.
  9. GoatSlayrr

GoatSlayrr Well-Known Cupcake

Yeah, that's what it is. MMO jingoism and not just an acknowledgement of the fact that the game is being developed in the US and a large percentage of their potential customer base is in North America. :rolleyes:

To the original point, full servers that you can wait out after ten minutes aren't really full. If they're going to call them full, and block new characters, go all out. It sucks when you want to roll with friends, but can't because they're on one of the uber popular realms, but that's just a fact of life, especially early on in an MMO.

And personally, I don't think devs putting too much work into trying to force balance across realms is worth it. With as bad as MMO tourism has gotten these days it's almost a sure thing that after a month or two things will settle down and sort themselves out. But for the start, block new characters on realms that are too high population, try and encourage people who aren't coming in with a guild and big friends list to go to lower pop realm, and then hope for the best.

And if WildStar totally breaks the current mold and continues growth after the flavor of the month locusts have come and gone, the devs can reevaluate things and add more hardware as needed.
  10. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Lot of facepalming to be had in this thread. Greed mechanic? Really? -_-

Because that's how a majority of Americans see the world. I do hope you're kidding for your sake.

That said, I see free transfers say a month or so (maybe just a few weeks) into the game's launch off of the overpopulated servers to less populated ones are good ideas. From what I've seen, Carbine has some pretty interesting player tracking tech and they could monitor their servers heavily. They could pay close attention to when server populations begin to even out from the free transferring before shutting them down.

This is another, although I think it's hard to accomplish without creating all over-capacity servers and possibly forcing people to play on servers they ordinarily wouldn't like PvPers on an RP server. However, Carbine should be conscious of how many servers they put out early on and personally, I feel they should invest in tech that can increase server capacity more than they should by opening up more servers if possible.
  11. Grytswyrm

Grytswyrm Cupcake

Who's we? Some people want to play on underpopulated servers, and some people want to play on max population servers.
  12. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

I would agree using the Rift strategy of free server transfers is a wonderful way to alleviate problems like this. But it goes beyond a few months and release. In raid focused game it is essential that guilds are able to recruit from a large a pool as possible. When a guild cannot recuit it often does and players leave the game. No better example of this than SWTOR where (I have been told by friends who have played it and I saw and followed the server numbers on Tor status) players were trapped on so many dead servers and were forced to reroll or leave the game.

By allowing free server transfers Rift gave raid guilds a huge boon allowing them to recruit from all servers. The same could be said in WS for PvP guilds doing warplots where free server transfers will be a big benefit to them. Free server transfers is a great feature for many reasons not only for allowing players to leave low population or dying servers, but for guild recruiting, for friends to easily reunite and many other reasons. The only downside I see is it allows one to play with the economy on different servers. I was guilty of this on occasion in Rift sending alts to different servers with cash to buy cheap mats and then sending them back to my server with using a rotating platoon of alts.
  13. FairyTailisBack

The idea wouldn't remove low and medium population servers. It only prevents some servers from being way too overpopulated.
  14. FairyTailisBack

Free server transfers also cause the dead servers as well.
    People see another server doing a lot better, and they transfer there. I mean why not?

Transfers should be limited to 1 per month or something.
    Kataryna likes this.
  15. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

i agree on the free server transfers if carbine is going to stick with no cash shop . and quick server merges if a server is dead to maybe a mid pop server.
  16. silvershadez

silvershadez Cupcake

The best part for me is: this whole issue doesn't really matter because they have pretty much solved it for all instanced aspects of the game with their crossrealm feature. The most good stuff will take place in instances anyway (Warplots, Arenas, Raids, Dungeons, Housing...).

There were numerous tries to deal with this "issue".

• SWTOR allowed guilds to form on their website pre-launch. Those guilds could simply chose which other guilds they are allied with and which guilds are their "archenemy". Bioware tried to get those guilds, with connections to each other all on the same server. It was also a great tool for anyone that wasn't part of these specific guilds. You could simply look up where the guilds you like/dislike are and join/avoid them.
    • GW2 started the game with free char transfers. They weren't the first to use free char transfers but they had it at launch. It screwed server population balances and made one of the main aspects of the game, WvWvW unbalanced and monotonous. It was on the other side the onliest aspect of the game, where your home server really mattered. Every other aspect was crossrealm anyway.
    I think those 2 options would work well together with wildstar too. Since there is no WvWvW in this game free server transfers can't screw the balance as much as in GW2. I personally wouldn't demand it anyway, since like said I think they covered this issue with their cross realm feature anyway.

Once servers start dieing or turning into ghosttowns (mostly after the hype cooled down. trust me on that: it will happen), I see only 2 reasonable ways: merging or "forced transfers". It should be done soon enough tho. Back in SWTOR they waited so long for their first transfers (6 months from the first appearance of ghost towns) that most players were gone forever anyway...

Maybe they can come up with a different strategy tho...
  17. FairyTailisBack

How is it solved by cross realms? You can't have cross realm people in your guild, and you don't want to invite pugs into your raids. That is assuming you can even do cross realm raiding! I am sure lots of PvP guilds will feel the same.

The game will only turn into ghost town if it doesn't expand, which for a game like this means it failed. They are focusing on retention, and if retention is successful they will see the population increase over time.

Focusing on what to do after you fail makes no sense! That time and resources should be utilized to prevent the failure!
  18. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

Start with a very limited amount of realms, BUT have extra realms immediately ready to be put in at the drop of a hat. You want healthy, populated realms...especially at launch. So based on pre-orders and expectations of purchases, and knowing what your technology can accomodate, start with a number of realms that can adequately handle that amount. But if they fill up you can instantly pop out another one. You don't want the FF14 issue of players having nowhere to play and just walling them off from the game. And you don't want the issue of having way too many realms, when half turn out empty.
  19. Vermana

Vermana Cupcake-About-Town

o_o

Carbine and NCsoft located in NA. The best and most populated servers will be located in NA. There are always additional NA servers simply because there are always additional NA players.
    NA is also very large and heavily populated on both coasts, there need to be EAST and WEST servers, and NA servers generally tend to be Canada as well as the US (NEWSFLASH GUYS!! "North America" =/= "The United States"!!) as there are in every other online game ever. Hence why my model has two NA/GP servers.

I don't like "Murica" any more than you do. I am the furthest thing from a patriot you will ever know. I'm just speaking in terms of flat out numbers.

Source: Any NA-Developed MMORPG or MMOG ever made.
  20. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

MURICA F YEAH.