1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Settler interest

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by nilihanth, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Ravern

Ravern New Cupcake

Jason, u know Settler is Path... the way u get exp... so settler will be more about... building things... walls and towers to defend... transportation points for transport :) ( gryphin things on WoW ) and im sure they will figure somethin out like some satelites.... that deflect some bombs or asteroids... or create antitoxin shield... or radiolamp that warn you about danger or fun news (voice messages)... and other things
    of course... u will have some battle skills (i hope)... like...
    before fight you could sharpen group blades... oiling hammers and that kind of stuff... and then repair gear...
    Settler = build, repair, upgrade buildings and things... create barrikades, controlled detonation... upgrading, protecting caravanas...
    but this is only my guess... :)
    it is a "path" no "job" :) so it doesnt matter if you use swords, guns or "summon spells"
    The "job" is what matters...
  2. James Daniel Wilcox

James Daniel Wilcox New Cupcake

I am so down for settler! I can't wait for more information about the class.
  3. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I'm really looking forward to this path. Being able to upgrade hubs ,build travel networks and just make a place more civilized just appeals to me, and working with others to do so is just icing on the cake.
  4. spencerBAXLEY

spencerBAXLEY Cupcake-About-Town

Looking forward to getting more information on this path! Rewarding me for doing more of the social aspects of an MMO? YES PLEASE.
  5. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

I think the very clear reason that they haven't talked about the scientist/settler paths yet is simply because they're still being worked on.

If you remember from a few weeks ago in the interview with a tester, the question was asked as to what hasn't met their expectations, they answered the settler class. To me, this shows that Carbine is still working on making the path fun and interesting and perhaps haven't quite nailed down its central focus yet -- or at least how this central focus leads to funsies.

The scientist is, I would imagine, in a somewhat similar situation. Incentivizing people to play a scientist when all the special lore that they would get through data cubes will all be up on the wiki faster than they can even get there does mean that they are probably still trying to figure out how that central focus leads to fun as well.

Just the way I see it anyway.
    JarNod and spencerBAXLEY like this.
  6. TattooedWalrus

TattooedWalrus Cupcake

I for one am totally loving the Settler path idea. It encompasses everything I have ever wanted from an mmo and still lets me have combat in large doses. However I was thinking about one possible problem, kinda restating a little of what some other folks have mentioned but here it is:

I heard in a vid that we know Settlers can make new taxi systems or build up quest hubs, and also create campfires to heal up other players that are wandering through Nexus, but has anyone heard how they are going to combat Nexus turning into sim city with campfires every 5meters? One developer said that Settlers will gain xp from anyone in the world using the campfire they build, so obviously it encourages you to build them wherever you think they will be used or seen. My worry is that there will be an obcene amount of buildings all over the place and might begin to feel cramped and hectic.

I am sure they thought about this and there are multiple ways of combating it such as only allowing settlers to have a certain amount of campfires built at one time or in a certain zone, and also restricting how many of a certain "prop" or building are allowed in certain zones, but I would like to hear what you all think, and how you think the developers may be able to reward creativity of settlers while balancing the need for wide open spaces like MMO's are usually known for.

Since paths are also a MAJOR form of xp gain thus helping the leveling process big time, they need to figure out a way to make sure there is enough for all Settlers to do so that xp can be spread evenly rather than that "one guy" people have mentioned running through the zones as fast as possible settling everything ahead of everyone else and leaving nothing for them or hurting their ability to use all the aspects of their Settler.

Psy
  7. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

I think your only allowed one fire, and you wouldn't want to put it next to another one because you would be in contest for customers. A deterrent that actually dosen't make sense for a social class, but I get the feeling they are still working on things.

Path EXP is different then class EXP.
  8. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I also remember hearing that you repair other folks structures that degrade over time and upgrade things as well. This may mean only one campfire may be allowed in an area but another settler could come along, add a vendor to the fire, then another could upgrade the fire to a fire pit perhaps , eventually someone adds a taxi hub and so on.

At least thats how I understand what they were hinting at.
    nomotog likes this.
  9. TattooedWalrus

TattooedWalrus Cupcake

Yeah that makes sense and I like it. I also think a good idea would be restricting Settlers to only like 3 fires at a time and they have a CD of about an hour or so then they dissapear. Also maybe restricting Settlers to only a certain amount of upgrades per hub. I like the idea of being able to start construction but not finish it and letting another settler add onto your building.
    Wreck likes this.
  10. Maya

Maya New Cupcake

I'm going to go with Settler most likely for my path as its something different (for example, gw2 has taught me explorer is out as Im horrible with jumping puzzles aka Halloween clock tower - I still have nightmares about that horrid thing). Server community is really important to me and I like game mechanics that encourage cooperation, aka repairing other peoples buildings, and making it feel like we can positively contribute to the game play of others.
    Liris likes this.
  11. Ender

Ender Well-Known Cupcake

I'm very intrigued by Settler myself. I think the Settler path will generally be quite popular in a very specific circle: Among roleplayers. Roleplay is an aspect of the game that relies extremely heavily on the social aspect, and the Settler hopefully offers ways of influencing the world to use for roleplay, and as such, I can see it be an extremely strong path within those circles.

Even outside of the roleplay community, it's definitely a path that focuses on community. Seeing as what is it, 65% of MMO players play solo, it makes sense to have some concerns about the viability. However, I think there's a lot of potential. I remember playing an Entertainer for my short career in Star Wars Galaxies, and I made quite a bit of cash from randomly standing around and buffing people. There was definitely an interest in that sort of stuff, and as I've understood, that's a lot of what the Settler is about: Offering something to other players that you will both benefit from them using.
    It's about building community, without necessarily having to communicate that much, and to help improving that community by giving people things like buffs, taxis, etc. You may never know who did it, or what other settlers worked with you to improve a small outpost, but the end result will help the community as a whole.
    Patrician likes this.
  12. Liris

Liris Cupcake-About-Town

Totally agree about jumping puzzles! The clock tower.. ugh. Never finished it. lol But I think it's awesome they have them, because some people love them.

It's between settler and scientist for me - I need more info!
  13. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Definitely interested in this path.

I have hated crafting in games since Horizons. Crafting has no real substance, it usually ends up a side game or fluff. If we can really build and it has purpose I'm there. Horizons (I think it is called Istaria now?) had the best crafting in any MMO I have ever played (didn't play SWG so settle down :)).

If this path doesn't live up to expectations then I'll have to look at the others, which I have blatantly ignored so far.
  14. Slyndria

Slyndria Cupcake-About-Town

I am still confused on how the settler can shape the world, however that will NOT effect balance once there are 100s of settlers on the same world!
  15. Maestric

Maestric Cupcake

I am very interested in this path and im eagerly awaiting some new info about it to see if it surpasses all my expectations , if it does then ill have to switch from the explorer path, if it doesn't well I'll go do some exploring and jumping which is something I love to do as well ^^
  16. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

17. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

I'm thinking of a Mechari with a cigar in his mouth and a cowboy hat heh.
  18. Keleynal

Keleynal New Cupcake

I definitely find this path the most intriguing. It seems to be the most creative- off the beaten path, if you will.

Personally, I think I will start with a Scientist, but I will keep a close eye on this for a first alt.
  19. FluidD

FluidD Cupcake-About-Town

The buildings may need frequent repairs/upgrades... which could be what other settlers do if their a little late. Or building things may be something that for some important stuff like taxis/auctions/banks may take like 4-5 settlers to do together, giving a big chunk of exp but also near impossible to do alone.
  20. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Keep in mind as well that the developers have said there were several "events" that were turned off for the playthroughs they've done so far, and one of them sounded like NPC invasions.

It is my belief that every now and then NPCs from you rival faction get air dropped in to your settler areas and attack. Now, if you and the zone manage to best them off, maybe your settlers just need to repair a little. However, if you don't... Bam, back to the drawing board and your settlers will have to come along and build it all up again. :)