1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Settler Path

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Savina, May 27, 2013.

1. Savina

Savina Cupcake

If you have not seen the new Paths video please check it out ,
    Seems taxi's and settlements will have a under 8min spawn time , I feel all my hard work will be for not , with a 8 min spawn time i feel use less what if no one is around to help me and i am spending time building and so fourth .
    I believe this timing thing they are doing will kill the path on the get go, I like playing alone sometimes and i love building ! But ,why such a small time frame ? Why not a day are even 2 hrs , Hell i be happy with a 1hr but 8 mins is way to short of a time , in MMO world! So to the Wildstar peep who is in charge of time frame! please add time to the path!! before release!
  2. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

Mmm not sure what you trying to say
  3. Corruptdevil

Corruptdevil Cupcake

Settler structures "degrade" over time. If the supply to the structures isn't maintained they disappear until another settler comes around and builds it back up again.

To answer the OP, the time may be low, but you can add to it by picking up supplies and feeding them to that object. At least that is what I gathered from the videos and interviews.
  4. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

you want buildings to take 2hours to build? and then last a couple of hours aswell?

do you think you will be playing alone by yourself?

be reasonable
  5. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

yea im not sure either. you plop a building and it only takes 8 mins to go from stacks of materials to a building?

what's the downside on that? (honest question).
  6. Nemeses

Ayah I see, bonus you got it back to front, yeah I guess 8 minutes does seem very low, and I think could very well have an effect on people wanting to roll the settler path.

Guys he is not asking for it to take 2 hours to build he is asking for what he builds to stay up for 2 hours or more before it starts degrading.

Errrr or least that's what I think he is asking :p
    Blaquknite likes this.
  7. Dist

Dist Cupcake

Why do you want over an hour on a structure that you may never come back to? in the 8 min window you could finish the quests in the quest hub and potentially have no need of the place ever again, why should it stay up? If players want structures to stay up they have to be maintained, otherwise it would be WAY too easy for just 1 settler to build lots of stuff rather than requiring a group effort of settlers if you want lots of structures running.

I'm sure they have played with the structure time before it degrades to find the sweet spot. Too long and the structures will be too easy to just have built 24/7, and unless you are in the beta and have actually tried it, 8 to 10 min could be the perfect duration for the amount of effort involved in construction.
  8. DakuTatsu

DakuTatsu New Cupcake

ok from what i got and under stand is that he wants time added ok well if it takes 8 mins to build it ok if it takes an hr its gonna get boring and tedious to work on now if you build it out side your home yea 8 min till it degrades for like a camp fire is perfect but for thing that would benefit the "towns" idk but if in the futurethey decide to make a "castle/claim" for guilds it should be perm and have the option to destroy it now for the homes it should be perm with destroy-able/recyclable options

now if there is an event going on and you wna support the players thats grate but i would like to see a donation box for people who put in effert and you give them materials to do upkeep or to buy materials

now i could force settlers for hire you pay they build things for you or your guild
  9. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

i still don't get it.

also .. buildings degrade? I guess that makes sense but aren't you still going to have 1000 bars in endgame zones as people spend days keeping them up? do they automatically go away after a certain time no matter what?

i guess I get that they have to degrade, but ... that kinda ruins it for me in a way. Campfires, sure, but ... if I can build a bar, and keep it up, and so can the other 1000 settlers on the server ... then what? guess we'll have to wait and see.
  10. Blade

Blade Cupcake

I'm curious as to how they're going to balance the whole building thing.

Yes, buildings degrade so you need to keep them up. That makes sense. But how fast? How hard is it to keep a building there?
    And who can maintain it? The guy who built it? Or any wandering Settler? Or maybe even just anyone?
    How much will it take to keep it going?

I can see some things being quick buildings that degrade fast because they're made for a quick convenience (like spawning vehicles). But if things can be upgraded can you make it so that it stays for hours/days/weeks?

Also consider that players move from zone to zone. So a Settler might put up some big building, but what happens when he moves on to the next area? Can someone else keep it maintained? Is there a limit to how much he can build? Would he need to tear down his bar in Zone A to build a new one in Zone B?

Settlers get Path XP for people using their stuff. So they don't want a lot of competition. So the first person to build a certain type of building would basically get the bonuses from that as other Settlers would probably build different buildings (so everyone gets full XP for people using their specific bonus).
    So what happens when a Settler comes to an area where everything he knows how to build is already up? Should he just leave? Or start building duplicates?

With open world PvP I figure buildings will take a beating. So Settlers would always be needed to keep stuff standing. As well as to keep building defenses.

In dungeons Settlers would be building supply and respawn points to help a group. So those probably won't stay up long. Presumably.

Settlers are invaluable to Warplots as they'd build a lot of defenses and such that are needed there. Not to mention they get extra housing options, so they'd probably be asked over to build stuff for others. One would assume that if they can build housing stuff, that the owner of the house could keep it from degrading (instead of having to constantly call a Settler over to repair it).

Basically we have a lot of unknowns.
  11. Savina

Savina Cupcake

sorry,for sounding out there but yes building only stay up for 8 mins
  12. Eight8Eight

Eight8Eight Cupcake

Settlers get Path XP by doing stuff. If the stuff we made was up for an hour it would take a while to gain xp
  13. Sera Serenity

Sera Serenity Cupcake-About-Town

Hi,
    I personally like the concept of the settler and the social game play, which according to the devs is where this path is game play orientated. So the base idea is that with this path you want to engage with other players. This is done by you helping to maintain other players constructs, which is made meaningful by the relatively low live time, whack a construct and it lives for slightly longer. Also if you extend the lifetime it wont take long for the whole server to be filled with constructs (look at ArcheAge). So I think the 10 min time is a nice balance for game mechanics (otherwise settler built constructs would distort balance) and for getting teams of settlers working together to maintain a construct in a set area.
  14. Nemeses

I guess we going to have to wait and see till we have more info, the biggest problems I can see is a) if the building stays up long, we going to have building everywhere so they need to degrade pretty sharpish I guess, but b) the downside is as a settler it’s going to be <REDACTED> to see what you made go poff.

But then again it may fit perfectly into how the game works, its just one of those things you need way more info, and maybe a bit of doing before you know, and I'm sure the beta testers are highlighting these issues.
  15. MoltenBear

MoltenBear New Cupcake

I personally think a low degrade time seems like a good idea. If you only had to build a structure every hour or two, it would defeat the point. It makes sense that you want to be running around, popping up quick structures to help players / yourself out, then moving on. If they get a roughly even amount of players playing each path, it's very likely that another settler would wander past and be able to either maintain your structure, or build a new one.

Long building duration would likely decrease the need for Settlers, as a few could maintain structures in an entire zone.

Edit: Typo
  16. nightshiftb

nightshiftb New Cupcake

Personally, my fear is that the persistent non-Settler infrastructure in a given zone is sufficient for someone who's not a Settler, but leveling through a zone.

Let me give an example of what I'm trying to get at: Warhammer online had these localized area events throughout all the zones. They were like smallish events that you could participate in with others in the area and earn some look or coin and I thought they were REALLY fun... until about 3 months later and you started working on your 2nd character. By that time, the population of the zone, mostly because not everyone was leveling at relatively the same time, like they did at the start, made these events all but impossible to take advantage of while leveling an alt.

So, with that in mind let me rephrase my fear: After 2-3 months go by after launch and I'm ready to start my alt... there will inevitably be less Settlers in the leveling areas.. maybe there is still some Settler built infrastructure, but there will not be as many. Once I get to my 3rd alt.. the leveling zones will be all but abandoned in comparison to opening week. I fear that as a result, there wont be any Settlers building taxi points... or buff stations.. or graveyards... or whatever... and will therefore leveling alts will be a pain in the ... well... you get the idea.

I've searched for someone out there asking this question, and I haven't seen an answer... if there's a podcaster who can ask the devs this question, I'd love an answer.
  17. Nerub

Nerub New Cupcake

I think 8 mins is great. I was afraid thet might have an up time on 2hrs.... there would be buildings everywhere
  18. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

eeeehn, I think 15 minutes would make more sense personally.

I'm also a tiny bit disappointed that settlers have 4 quest/activity types less than the other 3 paths, but it might not be such a huge issue.
  19. Yowser

Yowser Cupcake

Your not going to have buildings all over the place, they can only be placed in "sockets". A settler cant just run around placing whatever buildings they want whereever they want.

For example, a outpost will have a socket for a prison. A Settler can activate it using resources to turn the unbuilt socket into a prison.

It will turn back into an empty socket again after a set amount of time so the next settler to come along can do the same. But you or any other settler can spend further resources to increase an existing building despawn timer to keep it there longer if you so wished.

I guess the despawn time is something they will play with to get right, building types will have different despawn timers and it may even change depending on how busy the zone is.
    Rumze likes this.
  20. Paul_Cousins

Paul_Cousins Cupcake

Now that I think about it, settlers path could go in many ways.

Besides the normal settlers abilities, Carbine could have major events where settlers help build huge structures. Also, if Carbine wanted in a per-expansion phase of the Wildstar game, they could have an event where the help build a large city. And the way the settlers build it could allow them some say in the basic layout of the city. So, this city would be slightly different per server.

The city could be a space port with ships and the settlers get a say in the layout by what parts they build and which they don't build.

This settlers path has a lot of untapped potential.