1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Settler Path

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Savina, May 27, 2013.

1. Kynealdyr

Kynealdyr New Cupcake

It doesn't really make sense that Settlers will be able to build whatever wherever they wanted. There are sockets just like in Housing that allow Settlers to build structures in specified areas.

What I'm wondering are these:

Settlers gain path xp for players using the structures they build (or help build, as multiple settlers can assist in building), as a Settler, would I get xp for this if I logged off and my building was still around?

Will structure degradation rate be based off of the population of the zone, and would that rate be dynamic? For instance, I'm one of 20 people in a zone and I build something that will degrade in say 30 minutes, if 5 minutes later another 100 people run into the zone, due to an event of some sort, will that structure degrade faster now that the zone population has increased so drastically? And is the reverse true as well (zone population drops in half in a matter of seconds because level3's backbone died in central US somewhere)?

Lets say we're 4 months into the game launch and I roll an alt Settler. Will tier 3 structures be feasable in level 10-30 zones that will end up with no more than say 2-3 Settlers in the zone because most of the server population is at max level at this point?
    Sonntam, Vulgork and kanochi like this.
  2. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

Just make the upkeep cheap for half the xp and there ya go, a solution. :up:
  3. Savina

Savina Cupcake

Great Questions !! TY
  4. Kynealdyr

Kynealdyr New Cupcake

I try.
  5. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

This is partially conjecture on my behalf but from what we've seen so far as far as the temporary buildings go, you get xp when you put resources into the 'plot' being the first person to put resources in/initially erecting the structure is no different to putting in resources to maintain the structure you don't get continuous path xp because the building isn't 'yours'.

As for how long they last I'd say they'll keep it low initially during the 'levelling surge' and slowly dial the timer up as the majority of the player base leaves the content behind (and potentially make the permeant additions once the content becomes too old for settlers to be steadily passing through like a zone that's not max level but out of the 'alt zone' (15-20) so like a 30-35 zone one of those places that become deader then dead.
    Making a dynamic timer based on player number seems possible but far more effort then just turning up the timer as he content gets older. Remember you want to keep the buildings timed in such a way that everyone gets the feeling of erecting a building ideally, not just alts and people on the bleeding edge of levelling though.
    kanochi and Shalanigh like this.
  6. kanochi

kanochi Cupcake-About-Town

I like the idea of a dynamic timer if you have lots of people in the zone using your buildings and helping build should definitely degrade faster, then if it's pretty much just you should be able to maintain it yourself without like running in circles as fast as you can. >.< I think that would solve a lot of problems haha, but I'm sure they will be doing adjustments though until they can find a good way to set it up. ^^ Still got a long time to figure these sorts of things out. = P
    Sonntam likes this.
  7. Pious_Slayer

Pious_Slayer New Cupcake

Is there going to be a limit on how many buildings a settler can have at one time? If so, then the 8 minute limit might be a slight benefit considering that you may need one building now and not the one you already have.
  8. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

Out of all the paths, Settler is probably the one I am the most interested in.

The 8min. degradation timer I am not so worried about though if there is a way to feed resources into the structure to maintain it without having to start over from scratch every time I build something.

Another thing I wonder about is if combat can be avoided since the social aspect is supposedly the focal point of the Settler path. I say that because I cannot stand GCD combat mechanics and would love to avoid (not all MMOs use GCD afterall).

Not many MMOs (that I know of) have made a system where a player can gain levels without combat which I find extremely fascinating if it's possible.
  9. TachiPlays

TachiPlays New Cupcake

I will be going Settler all the way!
  10. Riuuki

Riuuki Cupcake

If you spend all your time building one structure, how are you going to level?...
  11. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

I haven't seen a video yet that showed a single structure standing by itself. It would seem one could create a camp/base/village of sorts to keep busy with numerous structures as well as supplies.
  12. Surgius

Surgius New Cupcake

I assume you don't stand there and wait for it to build. I'm guessing that you will have to gather resources and materials and add on to the constructions by doing this you will need to gather/kill to obtain these which will provide experience. Once completed you will probably gain even more experience to make up for the grinding , I'm sure they won't make any experience advantage towards different paths.
    Sonntam likes this.
  13. Riuuki

Riuuki Cupcake

You get experience for other players using your structures though, I think.
    Surgius likes this.
  14. Malachi

Malachi Cupcake-About-Town

Hi!
  15. Frenzy

Frenzy New Cupcake

I feel like it can be a very hard thing to balance because there are two very opposite things to consider:

1. When building something you wanna make a difference, if it just goes poof. What's the point? Then you could just be a walking spellcaster with buffs. So you want your building to stick around, you've made a mark. You can show your grand-children how you created the new frontier!

2. Next guy in line wants to build stuff. He doesn't wanna tell his granchildren that he just maintained what others built. Being a side-kick is dull!