1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Settlers and flying mounts

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Macabrebob, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Macabrebob

Macabrebob New Cupcake

If you ask me if flying mounts should be in an mmo I would tell you to flip a coin. I love flying around freely and landing on tops of things I have only been able to see far in the distance before. However, I don't like how they make the world seem smaller while trivializing all the dangers below. I also don't like that they allow my potential PvP prey to stun me, run a bit, then fly away (grrr). So whichever way the coin falls is cool with me, each side has its own perks and pit falls.

While thinking about this I came up with an idea that I think will allow flying mounts in Wildstar without so many of the negative aspects associated with them, while at the same time tying them in with the games systems. It seems that in a sci-fi setting, our flying mounts will be mostly technological in nature (think helicopters and hover jets) and thus we will need a landing/take off pad in order to mount/dismount. Then you may say: "Well then why would I even bother with a flying mount when these landing pads will probably be near a taxi anyway?" Good question - that is where settlers come in. We have already heard of the whole campfire thing where settlers get path xp for people using their campfires. Well what if advanced settlers can build landing pads for that players faction? Settlers get path xp when landing pads are used and players can't simply land and take off anywhere they please.

This would make it so players will still have to travel on the ground a good deal of time. It will also give players a break from air drop ganks. These landing pads could also have HP so monsters and enemy players will be able to destroy them. Let me know what you all think! Will a system like this work? would it be fun? can it be improved? why or why not?

TL;DR settlers can build landing pads - the only place that flying mounts can land and take off. What do you think?
    Kurik, Dysp, InnocentCivilian and 3 others like this.
  2. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Id let flying mounts take off where and when they want to be honest.

A compromise would be a landing pand that settlers can make, that would allow the mount to be supercharged - fly faster and higher for a bit ( possible anti air space that you have to fly through carefully and paying attention but you can fly higher and over it and not have to zig zag through ). That way a settler isnt needed ( and for a high end upgrade youd need a few of them around ), but having it would be a boon!
  3. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

Oh my! This is actually a similar idea to what I had proposed in a thread a few days back. You can read it here if you want. Otherwise, I fully support your idea. :D
  4. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

It makes "sense", since who on earth (planet Nexus) carries a helicopter in their backpack. Sorry, even Granoks can't pull that one off :)
  5. Macabrebob

Macabrebob New Cupcake

Tha
    That is awesome! If more people (devs) are thinking along these lines then maybe we will see a system like this in the game. I honestly can't say I have seen anything in Wildstar that is not tied to some core system. This is great because, although it is nice to have things for the sake of having them - it is even better when these things are carefully woven into the other various game systems.
    Yakzan likes this.
  6. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I completely missed your idea! I have high hope that these have already been thought of by W* devs.
  7. Sevvy

Sevvy Cupcake-About-Town

I loved flying mounts in WoW. Until a fierce world PvP battle ended in the opposition rezzing, and flying away on their mounts.

If there was a good way around that, I would support flying mounts. But since open world PvP encounters seem to be in such short supply in MMOs these days, I am totally anti-flying mounts.
  8. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

Launch pads sound like a great way to keep flight in check. Settlers being able to create launch pads sound like an additionally great idea. :D I'm guessing Settlers will be able to deploy one "object" at a time, but deployables could also be on large cooldown timers. If they can only deploy in plugs or plug-zones that wouldn't grant them drastic Open World PvP advantages and what-not.

I like the idea that if you get knocked out of the sky, you have to continue on to a launch pad to start flying again. It takes a little convenience out, but trades up for preventing world trivialization and diluting, keeps your ground mount relevant, adds risk to flying, and, overall, gives more meaning to flight. Because as it is, having a flying mount in an MMO is like playing with noclip on.

To add onto the idea, there could also be hard-to-reach/inaccessible launch-pad plug zones for the Settler, but require other paths, such as Explorer, to unlock new zones. For example, there could be a launch pad plug at the top of some giant mountain, only seen by a few rogue Explorers. I'm not sure how much Paths will affect Elder gameplay, but there could be stuff like that littered throughout the world, exclusive to top players. It could open up secondary zones when you revisit with better tech/group/level, like in Metroid or with bean-plants in Zelda.

An example: If you're in a large cave that can only be entered through dismounting first, but there is a launch pad plug inside, a Settler could open exclusive "in-cave" access to flying mounts so as to reach, say a second, 3rd, 4th, nth level/tier. Players who have perused the cave before (without a Settler) would have noticed the inaccessible level/tiers. They wouldn't be able reach the zone until they thought of the solution to come back with a Settler, instead of an Explorer...

Side-note:
    When I read Yakzan's linked post, I first thought he meant, we'd get air mounts the size of battleships, like in Skies of Arcadia. If that were to be the case, then that would change the whole meaning of "flying mounts" and launch pads... but, alas.. that might be a bit too epic for an MMO. :p
    jonbones, Macabrebob and Yakzan like this.
  9. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Definitely an interesting idea that I wouldn't mind seeing implemented. I imagine it wouldn't be too popular with the majority but I could be wrong on that! :)
  10. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

Flying Mounts at level cap is just a gateway drug that leads to flying mounts BEFORE level cap...
    Chomag and mockingfox like this.
  11. mockingfox

mockingfox Cupcake

Flying mounts area a bad idea and allow high level characters to use an abusive movement system to gain advantage in a play space that isnt cohesive with the layout of the game.

And since in even the earliest of press releases Carbine talked about serious PvP I think that they will forgoe flying mounts, or at the very least use a system like you described.
    my votes still not for it however. But it is a well thought out idea +1
  12. Sasquatauch

Sasquatauch New Cupcake

I really enjoy having as much freedom as possible in a game (while still maintaining playability of course) so I would definitely be in for flying mounts. There have been some really fantastic possible implementations posted here too so hopefully we'll get to see some of them!
    Macabrebob likes this.
  13. Katu_Kath

Katu_Kath Robot Cupcake

not to rain on anyones parade, but based on the fact that the item slot they are allowing the comunity to make cant have any new art created for it, and cant mess with animations, i doubt something like this will be added before launch. I do hope that they have placed some sort of restriction on flying mounts, but I wouldnt really be for the launchpads. Why not just make flying mounts slower? Easier travel, but takes more time. would give me plenty of incentive to use my ground mount.
  14. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Oh noes!