1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Seven Classes?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Grug, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Loken

Loken New Cupcake

I think you are pigeon holing yourself, dps has always been part of the trinity whether it fell under support in the Tank/Healer/Support model or the Tank/DPS/Heals model under which support roles fall under DPS. There are quite a few support roles in this game, one being a warrior with low dps and health but has a boatload of stuns and interrupts. I would not get to wrapped up in what the trinity is or was but what type of role you want to play and does the game provide me that opportunity.
  2. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

You may be right. I may be Pigeon Holing. But I loved MMO more when your class had one role only and you learned it or you didn't get groups. I loved MMOs more when a class that was designed for CC and Buffs/Debuffs was needed or desired as much as a tank or heals.

In EQ I enjoyed my Enchanter and Bard. In Vanilla WoW I enjoyed my Frost Mage as CC when CC still mattered in encounters. PvE content has become so simplified that all groups want are your DPS if you aren't the Tank or Heals. Other means of support aren't written into the PvE design anymore. And that my friends SUCKS!
    John and Malorak like this.
  3. Loken

Loken New Cupcake

See but support roles are being written into this game which was the whole point of my post and will be needed.
  4. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I guess I'll just have to see it first. It has been describe as Heals/Tank/DPS with the all classes being able to DPS and then either Tank or Heal. The support abilities that I am talking about are mixed within Tank/Heals/Dps. My understanding is that their is no CC/DPS or BuffDebuff/DPS class and that's what I'm talking about.

In other words as a Warrior and Stalker I am either a Tank or DPS. Spellslinger and ESPER are either Heals or DPS.
  5. Paterk

Paterk Cupcake-About-Town

From what I've read about classes and skills, every class will have utility/support skills. The only unknown is whether or not the design of combat will allow for outlier builds like this to be useful.
  6. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

The problem I see with a straight buff/debuff class, is that I would drastically take away from other classes, not to mention it would be slow(I'll get to that later). But to be honest, if we had a class that could buff stam/avoid/dmg/bubble/resist etc. it would take those abilities away from the other classes that do that regularly. Think about it, in PVP then you would essentially always lose unless you had at least one buff/debuff class because if the other team had one it would completely chage the game. Same thing for debuffs, unless you are refering to a straight dot class, Afflock from vanilla WOW.

Also creating a straight CC/DPS class would also unbalance the game because then every player would jsut go CC, team up with a nuker and rule 2V2. Not to mention a CC class would have by definition more focus on an array of different CCs, how would they help with single target boss fights? From a CC/DPS class you are effectively making it so that one spec is solely for PVP and the other solely for PVE.

I know that a bunch of people miss bards from FF and the equivalent from the EQ games but I think that claass wouldn't fit into the gameplay of Wildstar. With the telegraph system and how fast pace and frantic the game looks, combat wise, it would play slow to me.

Anyways those are my thoughts,

-Plic-
  7. SteveDiggler24

SteveDiggler24 Cupcake-About-Town

I think it's important to have a game design that gives players more options than just DPS/Tank/Heals. The ability to specialize in group support through buffs & combat support through debuffs/CC can bring a lot to the game, the choices that players have available for style of play, and the variety available to a 40-man raid party.

I don't buy into Carbine's statements regarding the trinity (DPS/Heal/Tank) means that their system will be so rigid. With the excitement around 40-man raids, and their intentions to deliver a quality "elder game" raid experience, it would make sense to allow classes to specialize in CC/Buffs/Debuffs to diversify roles amongst 40 participants.

If not, the DPS versions of each class will need to be balanced or else certain classes will be preferred in DPS roles over others. Think about it. If the Esper class can't DPS as well as other classes and doesn't have CC/Buffs/Debuffs, then raiding Espers will be healers.
    Mudfin likes this.
  8. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

They have already said this would be allowed.
  9. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

I'm not terribly sure what you mean by the last paragraph, regardless of their being a CC/Buff/Debuff role, classes will need to be balanced. If the Esper class can't DPS as well as other classes and they don't have utility abilities to make up for that even a little in a DPS role then that class does need to be balanced and is underpowered. Classes should not be shoehorned into a role in a raid like in Vanilla WoW for any reason.
    SteveDiggler24 likes this.
  10. SteveDiggler24

SteveDiggler24 Cupcake-About-Town

Said what? That classes can specialize in CC/Group Buffs/Debuffs? If you could provide a link I'd be interested in reading into it. Of course, with as little information is out, I'm going to need to see it implemented first.

That's my bad. I was saying that without viable support roles IE CC, Debuff, Buff, Etc. that classes are going to be required to spec a certain way for raiding based on their most useful/viable spec. This is terrible! It was one of the worst aspects of WOW.

40-man raids are going to have a lot more room for different roles, and should allow for hybrid builds to be viable..... I hope
    Críostóir and Soylentgreen like this.
  11. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

Thanks for the clarification, and you're right no class should be shoehorned for raiding. I would like very much to have hybrid builds and a larger variety of raid-viable builds to be part of this game than WoW had.
    SteveDiggler24 likes this.
  12. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

From the GameSpot Now Playing video:

Kataryna likes this.