1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Should Carbine add flying mounts to Wildstar

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by tron850, Apr 11, 2014.

1. tron850

tron850 New Cupcake

2. Katu_Kath

Katu_Kath Robot Cupcake

Its been a while since I've looked into mounts, and things may have (read: probably) changed since I last heard this, but I thought flying mounts were already confirmed, like, a year ago? Haven't seen anything saying otherwise yet.
  3. tron850

tron850 New Cupcake

no confirmation s on them, they were scraped about a year ago, they say they are listening to player feedback on the subject to see if they should implement them.

so I put this poll on there beta forums to get some numbers.
  4. Greatheart

Greatheart Cupcake

I voted no and purely because I played Vanilla WoW. When Flying Mounts were introduced the world seemed less epic, smaller and each expansion was just a race to get the skill to let you fly so you can skip every mob you don't need. Fast ground mounts by all means, some sort of slow-fall mount for semi-flying but imo no to flying mounts.
  5. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

I personally don't mind flying mounts, but since so many people do, it's no big deal to not include it for some social harmony. :)

I would however enjoy variety to the mounts. Like how hoverboards can glide across water + double jump, maybe give the double jump to that bird which was built as a flying mount, instead of actually flying it can now flap its wings and give us a double jump. Or maybe enable gliding for certain mounts, or slow fall, something like that. Or have some mounts be able to go into water.

The only thing that I'd miss about flying mount is that flapping wings is cool. And if something has wings yet only runs on the ground that's a bit depressing. So give them double jumps or gliding or temporarily being able to fly while sprinting on the mount or something, that would be wonderful. :D
  6. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I think it was a bit less than that, more like the fall area of last year, and they stated the reason was because of the feedback they got, so you're putting a spin on this that isn't there.

Edit - it also looks like you're posting this on several websites.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    Kataryna likes this.
  7. Kytty

Kytty Cupcake-About-Town

If I remember correctly, a lot of the concern by players around flying mounts was the effect it could potentially have on the settler path. Why do that jumping puzzle when you can just fly up there etc. have the quest to get the zone explored? No problem ZOOOOOOOOOOOM wooooosh done. Kinda makes that path a little ... useless
    Verilyn likes this.
  8. tron850

tron850 New Cupcake

Yea, trying to get less biased feedback on it by increasing the sources.
  9. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

This was a really common topic last year. In the very beginning, I believe that flying mounts were very much in. Now, they are very much not available at launch. Last year's discussions seemed to sort of reach a compromise.

The thing was that flying mounts reduced player-player interaction if they could fly anywhere at anytime. Wildstar does have taxi services in settlements that allow for a quick travel option that flying mounts would provide. You just can't fly wherever you want.

I believe last year the consensus was that if flying mounts were to ever be added they should be restricted to certain zones. Example if Carbine adds an expansion that includes the rings and moons of Nexus then flying mounts in those areas could be used as part of the new content. The discussion went from there to ideas about weapons on mounts and mount vs. mount combat for pvp.
  10. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Its still going to be incredibly biased just from the types of players that frequent forums (not to mention bias to thread titles!) versus how many actually play the game. The devs have already listened on this. Its why they were scrapped in the first place with the tagline of "May come later".
    Kataryna likes this.
  11. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I'm not biased! I'm not. I wuv everyone! Wuv! and hug. I hug everyone! Hugs!

.....except chua. Ew.
  12. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

<REDACTED>. :p
  13. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

yea, looked it up, my thread about the flying mounts being confirmed was back in Feb of Last year - as of June of last year they'd said "not right for launch, but we're listening" They built the game world with the idea of flying mounts being in and only useable at max level, which means if they DO decide to go back and add them then it won't be much work at all.
    Ianpact likes this.
  14. Gardavil

Gardavil Cupcake

I will reply here as I replied in a thread on official forums... my opinion as a pve player...

If W* was made for mounts, game world and game mechanics wise, then I would say yes why not have flying mounts at some point in future. I see no justifiable reason Lore wise why not. PvP wise? I am no PvPer so I can not speak for that. If they do it in such a way that it does not trivialize Explorer path or allow for exploits than why not allow it.

If however W* was NOT made for flying mounts then I say it is too late to alter the game world and game mechanics now for I l believe it would create more problems that benefits overall.

I don't care or want to know if other MMOs have had flying mounts, I consider that irrelevant info because W* is it's own game, has it's own game world, has it's own game mechanics and any similarities W* has to any other MMO I really don't think matter one bit. What I think matters most is how the Devs designed things and if they were considering flying mounts as a feature when they built this beast.
    Ianpact likes this.
  15. Benevon

Benevon Cupcake-About-Town

Flying mounts would almost completely negate the challenges of the Explorer path.

I can understand the arguments for flying mounts at max level for the mat farmers, but otherwise I am just fine with a ground mount. Flying mounts in WoW made traveling boring, just flying in a straight line WAY above every living thing that could attack you.
  16. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

There was no "oh please god no, keep flying mount outta mah game" button so I just selected "no." Hopefully, that will get the message across just as well.
  17. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

No...
    Afrotech likes this.
  18. Quietus

Quietus Cupcake

Flying mounts in a game with jump puzzles seems kind of counterproductive.
    Afrotech likes this.
  19. CriSPeH

CriSPeH Cupcake-About-Town

Flying Mounts would be awesome.
    As long as they were restricted to a separate area/planet that was specifically designed with them in mind.
  20. TyroneBiggims

TyroneBiggims New Cupcake

I think i might just have found a compromise, why not give every class a flying like ability to put on their ability bars that have lets say a 30 minute or an hour long cooldown. that way you can enjoy flying but only in short bursts. Espers could transform into birds like druids did in wow, engis may have a jetpack of some sort, spellslingers could use the void to enter a sort of free fall state, medics can create a flight probe around themselves, warriors could infuse themselves with rage and be like superman, and stalkers are already op so they dont need to fly... lol