1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Should Carbine "gate" launch raids?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by MeakGG, Apr 29, 2013.

?

Should raids at launch be gated by...

1. An epic chain quest that takes hours of playtime to complete (a la Ony quest)

68.2%
  2. An epic realm contribution that takes weeks to complete (a la AQ gates)

48.4%
  3. Gear check gating

22.6%
  4. Time frame gating

10.6%
  5. Any type of gating could be cool...

13.4%
  6. NO GATING!! RAIDS RIGHT NOW!!

7.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MeakGG

MeakGG Cupcake-About-Town

I know we don't have TONS of info on raids right now, but in terms of launch, how do you feel about gating the initial launch raids?

My biggest fear, personally, is that if they aren't gated I will be forced (in my competitive nature) to fly through content, burn through dungeons, and miss out on some great experiences at the expense of getting there the fastest, and being the first.

Before all the flaming of "....or you could just enjoy the game"... know that I'm not trying to compare people's play style. And if they decide not to gate anything, it'd be my loss if I choose to fly through content like an idiot.

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this. Competitive PVE'ers, casual raiders, and people who don't really care but want to throw in their two cents.

Once again... I KNOW if I blaze through content, it's my loss. Not looking for advice on how to play the game. Just gathering some info =) :inlove:
    Joukehainen, Syberchip, sheep and 2 others like this.
  2. Calsic

Calsic Cupcake-About-Town

Gating raids at launch is a great idea. I hope they do it. I expect once we get past launch stage there will be something like gear check gating, but for launch I love the idea of a server-wide effort!
  3. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I'm hoping that there'll at least be a small-ish quest chain leading up to each raid to give some context for what's going on!
    Crimzen and Khrusky like this.
  4. Orcbum

Orcbum New Cupcake

I'm all for the first two options.

Especially when you get cool stuff with it too. LIKE THE BLACK QUIRAJI MOUNT.
  5. Whatley

Whatley Cupcake

Server Wide Gating was incredibly fun. I don't know about every time. Maybe for the first initial foray and then just normal gear checking into additional wings. But that initial push, if done right; can make you feel like you are really part of something. Build a story, becoming a legend. Instead of "Hey this giant castle thing is now open and you should slaughter anything inside that twitches in the name of shinies"
  6. Datix

Datix New Cupcake

I really miss that feeling of achieving access to a raid. It effectively added to the lifespan of the content without feeling artificial like the latest trends of increasing buffs or unlocking on a schedule. Bring back attunements, I say!
    drub and Mudfin like this.
  7. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

I'd like to see attunements for sure, but I'd also very much like to see server-wide efforts precede the opening of *every* raid.
    sheep, Mudfin and kiri like this.
  8. Sol

Sol Cupcake-About-Town

I'm all for gating on raids that follow, however I would like to see accessibility for one the first entrance raid of newly launched content (Initial luanch, expacs etc). Lets you get a taste and then works you into the larger content that follows.
  9. Datix

Datix New Cupcake

I support this as well. I never got to see the AQ event and always wanted to participate in something like that.
  10. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I voted for all gating methods. If wildstar wants 40 mans to be epic , part of that is gearing up, doing long chains and unlocking the raid with the server. You want to have a team mentality and that means getting the folks together which is part of that epic hardcore feeling but more importantly it's the glue that builds a team. You want folks to help. Each other get attuned, make sure everyone has the right gear, and works with the server community to unlock areas.

I added timed gating as well because it allows server / guild rivalry, in who will be the first to down the boss for this part of the chain mentality while still allowing for a breather in between waiting for the gate to come down. Burn out is important enough that it should be prevented and sometimes it has to be added as part of raid design to stop it.

Also it let's folks take down a boss at least twice. It's not a proper kill if you cant duplicate success which is important To get down if you want to move onto the next bosses in the chain right away when they become accessible.

Good topic!

On a side note , I remember horizons had an event to unlock a playable race that involved server wide work and crafters that needed to be defended. Now that. Was. Epic.
    Phyllo and Mudfin like this.
  11. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

Along those same lines, since Carbine has stated they want leaderboards for things like dungeons, adventures, raids as well as PvP it would be nice if they did the same for "gating." Keeping up the competitive spirit for people involved in these quests, objectives, etc. could be a nice brag right overall and put your guild/circle in the lime light for a bit.

The one problem I see with gating is that it puts raids back on top as the endgame rather than a endgame. Everyone on a server runs around for a few weeks to open up something that a handful of people end up actually seeing and many people could care less about. Me bring a raider I'm all for it, but I know this will be a complaint voiced by PvPers, single players, and smaller groups.
    Rumze likes this.
  12. Whatley

Whatley Cupcake

I see Gating as a way to take casual players into the beginning stages of a raid. Even if they don't Progress past into the harder wings or bosses, they can gather resources, capture areas, do quests, ect.

I agree that Raids are not the solution to the Elder game, time and time again too few of the player base actually sees the final boss (or any boss). So why not gate them through the beginning story?
    Mudfin, Dnevnoy and Rumze like this.
  13. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Hmm well not necessarily.

Simply put there are other ways to reward non raiders with this as well.

Examples: The gating chain like the onyxia quest could unlock story quests for elder solo content. It could also unlock timed/extra boss runs for heroic dungeons that 5 man teams would run and compete in.

The server event could unlock a new city, new faction and new rewards that come with that.
    Pvpers could unlock new things for their warplots .

The gating mechanism that deals with time doesnt have to be just for the raid. It could unlock new events in the world, new dungeons bosses in 5 mans, new solo elder content.

You could apply this to many things. Unlocking content doesnt have to be raid content alone.

If you want to build a server community, gated content doesnt have to be just about raiding.

It could just be about the game .
    Mierelle, sheep, Mudfin and 2 others like this.
  14. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Carbine has stated they will release content for soloers that are basically story episodes . I think I read somewhere that you dont learn a lot of lore while leveling. Its when you hit level cap that the lore quests, instances etc etc open up.
  15. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

Something they could do to help control the flow of progression at launch is to make only the first few bosses in each raid available at first, and open up more after a certain period of time.

I'm not opposed to a quest leading up to the raid, though I don't think completing it should be required.

On a side note, Carbine has said in the past that the bulk of the plot will be done through solo and small-group content, rather than raids, which makes me kind of wonder... just how they're going to handle the "story" behind raids. If a raid doesn't have a compelling story, it feels rather pointless in the world. But then that would conflict with their philosophy of not wanting people to feel left out of plot development, so... *boggles*
  16. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I participated in the opening of AQ, and my guild did not see the inside of it until basically the end of the expansion, we got 2 bosses down. I loved the event, I was happy to participate and help the "server" achieve the goal, I never thought about "not seeing the instance" at any time, it was just fun to see all the activity day in and day out.

I would like another server event, but if there is no gating then I don't mind either, the only thing I'd like to know is from the Op -

How do you know you after you "rush" to get to the raid, that you will actually do anything when you get there?

Are you already set up to be in a guild that has experience with challenging raids? If so, are all of those people also going to "rush" so that you have enough players to actually form the raid?
    I'm just wondering because you worded your post as if you are confident that the instant you are able to zone in, that you will be downing content.
    Alverad and Dnevnoy like this.
  17. Calsic

Calsic Cupcake-About-Town

I've been looking around for a guild. I've already seen a couple that have stated a requirement that you level to cap quickly because they plan to hit the raid early.

There will be pressure from some guilds unfortunately. :(
  18. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Unless of course carbine gates their content with time :p
    But we shall see as with all things.
  19. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

Wait a month after launch (to give people time to PLAY the game), then unlock a special realm wide event to unlock the raids, THEN you get to do an epic quest chain to obtain the right to enter the raid!

Well... maybe not that hardcore... but I'd like to see at least 2 weeks minimum to give players time to level and enjoy the game. Save the epic realm wide events and epic quest chains for later raids, especially so because by then there will be a hell of a lot more max level players to do them with.
    Mierelle likes this.
  20. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not entirely sure if I want an absolutely insanely epic questlines to get in there but I deffinately want a questlines explaining what's going on. Also realm interactions built up over a period of weeks sounds more like expansion content that EQII used to do, they were very enjoyable so i'd support them for major content releases.

Voted epicquestline as the closest thing to what I'd want.