1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Should Carbine "gate" launch raids?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by MeakGG, Apr 29, 2013.

?

Should raids at launch be gated by...

1. An epic chain quest that takes hours of playtime to complete (a la Ony quest)

68.2%
  2. An epic realm contribution that takes weeks to complete (a la AQ gates)

48.4%
  3. Gear check gating

22.6%
  4. Time frame gating

10.6%
  5. Any type of gating could be cool...

13.4%
  6. NO GATING!! RAIDS RIGHT NOW!!

7.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I never raided much at all during the era of attunements but I got a brief taste of it during the last installment of attunements in early WotLK. I love the concept and it gives a sense of accomplishment when you finally unlock access to a new part of the game. When I talk about raid accessibility, I don't mean making the content easier or requiring no effort to arrive at a raid-ready state, but rather that anyone who wants to raid can prepare themselves and be viable for beginning the current tier of raiding. If MMOs can find and maintain that balance, I will be a happy gamer.

You could even incorporate attunements into simply accessing different parts of the game world like perhaps tying it in with the explorer path.
  2. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

Not a fan of attunements, but I like keys. The difference being that only one person needs the key to get in.

Attunements just make life harder for raid leaders dealing with inevitable churn and limits recruiting pools. With keys, only one person needs to do the hard part (hard being relative; the Scarlet Key was a breeze) to give everyone access. But then, I was a pretty neurotic key collector in Vanilla/TBC.
  3. Xlugon Pyro

I like the keys concept too but perhaps it could work differently so that they didn't have to take up so much inventory space. Perhaps combining traits of attunements and keys would be ideal.
  4. Inda

Inda Cupcake

Any gating is an awful idea imo. It simply holds you back from enjoying content you want to enjoy when you want to enjoy it. In later raiding tiers it also hurts recruiting new members to deal with burn out and such. There are really no legitimate reasons for gating outside of an artificial lengthening of pve content.

The only positive thing gating brings is storyline if done with a quest. However, you can have quests tied to an instance without forcing people to do them. After all, isn't the point of Wildstar to play how you want to play?

As far as being 'forced' to skip content you'd like to see, that is only true if you are in a competitive pve guild. And even then you can always go back and do things you missed once your guild is in the 1-2 raid nights a week farm mode. You only miss the content you don't want to see.
  5. Haoli

Haoli Cupcake-About-Town

Something about the way BC attuned and gated it's content ensured that ALL of BC's raid content was relevant for the full duration of BC's lifecycle. In my opinion, this is something to be admired and adhered to.

Gating/attunement at launch and future, yes please.
  6. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

WoW (finally) solved this problem with the Keyring. It was a bag which held only keys, but it held all of them.
  7. Xlugon Pyro

The quests were long and hard (lol) but they were a lot of fun too. If it's fun, I say it's worth implementing them. The whole point of the game is to have fun IMO.
  8. Dualist

Dualist Cupcake-About-Town

At this point anything other than "You are now of a sufficient level to walk through this door" should be an improvement tbh.
  9. Rogosh

Rogosh Cupcake-About-Town

I am hoping for an old school key quest for amazing zones and just really tough encounters so that there is no need for gating.
  10. M3stro0

M3stro0 Cupcake

key quests basically were gating for things like Kara.

I think gating is necessary, can it be annoying and grindy at times? Yes, but more of that is due to bad quest design. I mean it really makes no sense when you think about it to waltz right into the Deathwing Raid or Hour of Twilight the second the patch hits.
  11. Matsy

Matsy New Cupcake

I personally would want to see some sort of lengthy chain of quests to be able to access the raid along with the raids being locked for a specified amount of time so people can't just rush through content to get to the raid.
  12. kur1

kur1 Cupcake-About-Town

It wasn't too great unless your server was horrendously low-population. It was a choppy mess usually led/abused by the server's top guild(s). If you weren't in them, you were only there for the events, and if the events had any kind of raid benefit, raid teams were camping anything valuable. Assuming you even got to see anything, because again, FPS lag from an entire server in one place.

If you just wanted to go to see chaos though, perfect!

All I ask of people yearning for lengthy quest chains or attunements is to remember the effect these things have on recruitment pools (especially late in the game).

If there's 4 raids released down the road that people are still running and each has a big attunement, everyone who wants to raid has to do it. That's 4x more barriers to entry for a new raider. If any of these attunements require groups, raids, or other coordinated efforts that further complicates the catch-up.

I'm all for some mostly-solo quest chain mixed with a few dungeons that can be PUGed in order to unlock access and develop a story. But history's shown attunements only hurt raids and recruitment.
    Rumze likes this.
  13. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

Gating makes it harder to find groups to do content, especially if its anything like the Molten Core Attunament quest.

what they could do is have an early period after new content is released where some sort of atunament trough questing/raiding is required but removed it after a period of time.

this way it makes it more competitive for hardcore guilds, and at the same time allows for more casual players to run the content without much hassle.
  14. MMOPapa

MMOPapa Cupcake-About-Town

While I appreciate the occasional implementation of a good prerequisite or two, there are inconveniences to having this introduced too early. I'll go ahead and use the Onyxia quest line as an example since it was previously discussed in this thread... when the Key Quest for Onyxia was first introduced in patch 1.1.0, there were only a select number of participants who had dedicated the time to having successfully completed the quest chain (or at least that's how it was on the server that I was a part of) and establishing an appropriate time to raid that was convenient for the few that had completed the quest-line was a formidable task in itself. The number of players willing to attend the raid during that period in time was not a problem whatsoever; plenty of players responded to our requests for more raid members, it's just that not many seemed to have had previous knowledge of the existence of any prerequisite actions needing to be taken (which majority of the time, we would not find out until we were already inside the instance waiting for them to come in). However, in time it became easier because more people had decided to finally dedicated themselves to completing the prerequisites... as short as they were. In my opinion, a viable solution would be to have a quest-line for those who see the lore as an incentive then add an unquestionably beneficial materialistic incentive on top of that. That way, those of us who dedicate ourselves to experiencing raids early on don't have to wait to fill our ranks but at the same time people (known to procrastinate) will see this 'amazing reward' and prioritize the completion of that quest-line that much faster.

But! As I said... that's just my opinion.
    BonusStage likes this.
  15. BonusStage

I agree and i doubt that anyone, who was a recruiting officer/ Guild Leader during Attunaments/Gating in Wow would not agree with you.
  16. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Do you think that an event like that would be different with todays computers? I mean, obviously not everyone had those issues, because you couldn't actually complete the event at 2 fps could you?

Also, I dont remember if this was part of the event, but wasnt there raid bosses walking around in that zone, that anyone could take a crack at? I think there were 3? I remember people having a blast with those guys, both raider and non.
  17. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I was, and I dont agree with him, but I've already talked about that earlier in this thread. It is possible to tweak or adjust parts that make it more enjoyable.
  18. BonusStage

you most likely had a big pool of players, getting stuck due to getting can really put off your daily raids trust me.
    especially when it snowballs.

But yeah, if they manage to make it work, by being acessible somehow and a feat of skill instead of time investiment.
  19. Rogosh

Rogosh Cupcake-About-Town

Well, Eq had it set up so that you could take in a certain amount of non keyed players. For every 4 keyed you could bring 1 unkeyed person, this fixes the issue with recruiting.
    kur1 likes this.
  20. Xlugon Pyro

This is a great idea. It provides the opportunity for someone to jump into the content with a team of more experienced players to begin raiding while also giving the new raider more time to complete the gating for him/herself.

It reminds me of Scarlet Monastery or Karazhan in WoW where you could get the key to access the raid but still provided the motivation to complete the quest so you don't have to rely on someone else to open it for you, especially if you switch guilds during a raid tier and you find your new crew lacking the required attunement to get in.
    Rogosh likes this.