1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Should Carbine "gate" launch raids?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by MeakGG, Apr 29, 2013.

?

Should raids at launch be gated by...

1. An epic chain quest that takes hours of playtime to complete (a la Ony quest)

68.2%
  2. An epic realm contribution that takes weeks to complete (a la AQ gates)

48.4%
  3. Gear check gating

22.6%
  4. Time frame gating

10.6%
  5. Any type of gating could be cool...

13.4%
  6. NO GATING!! RAIDS RIGHT NOW!!

7.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kur1

kur1 Cupcake-About-Town

That's a fair tradeoff. It might create scenarios like "Aww, we can't bring X class mix, there'd be too many unattuned people..." and that'd be more painful to manage on the leadership side. But assuming there was an easy way to track attunements, I think this is a great system.
  2. BennyBones

BennyBones Cupcake

People will have downed their first raid boss within 2 weeks of the game launching. Mark my words. Gating would only drive these players away. There's a lot of players whose interest lies in the challenge rather than the experience of the world.
  3. Bomoo

Bomoo Cupcake

I would like as many gates as possible for content, and not only raids. Preferably they would be framed as epic quests that help player immersion into the game world. I felt it was an act of vandalism on the part of Blizzard to remove things like the Dreadsteed and Swift Flight Form quest chains, in addition to removing all the various attunements for both heroic dungeons and raids.

Yes, on the surface these gates "block" people from getting into raids. What is neglected, however, is the team building exercise in getting all of a guild's members attuned. Helping our guild newbies get their Karazhan keys and get into some blues remains one of my more memorable WoW experiences. Each of these gates is an epic challenge to be overcome in working with other players, and I feel it would be a detriment to any MMO to trivialize them for a more "massively single player" approach.
    Mierelle likes this.
  4. Cruel

Cruel New Cupcake

YES. I want to see more attunements that need to be situated before hitting up raids. It provides a level of competitiveness and offers players more things to do end-game. I absolutely loved the Vanilla and TBC attunement quests as difficult and or annoying as they were.
  5. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

That's not gating as such, that's more giving players hoops to jump through, which if done right can be fun and rewarding but if not it feels like a grindy c**k-block.

I don't think launch content should be inaccessible by locking the instances though. Carbine seem to have the drive to make hard content so I say let that content stand on it's own two feet and we'll see how fast the best of us can complete it!
  6. Hawk Sungrifter

Hawk Sungrifter New Cupcake

I chose the first two.

I had the most fun going through these tough quests meeting new people through the tough dungeons to finally get that moment of YES! I DID IT I DID IT I DID IT...and then you walk in.
    Bomoo likes this.
  7. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I'm sort of holding the same position for launch. I don't think all raids should have a gating or attunement process, but some being that way and having different methods for each would bring a lot of life to the game.

I do hope it's not beaten so quickly, but then again how long does it normally take for WoW raid content to get fully cleared in a tier? From what I understand it's about a month or two. Hopefully Carbine can create enough good raid content to keep the "1%ers" satisfied long enough.
  8. Freja

Freja Cupcake

I asked Jeremy Gaffney about this during the live QA. It seems to imply there will be no gating, however he did not come out and directly say it:

DaGaffer writes:

We'll have multiple raids at launch and add more thereafter fairly rapidly/regularly, is the current plans. Won't completely swear to that until we get some hardcore raiders in there to tell us what's awesome and what ain't because knowing how long we have to polish/tune is, if I can give an honest answer, a very tricky thang from a dev standpoint.

Also our raids are harder to put together than normal raids (and more replayable) because of the dynamic elements. But IMO we need to ship with at least several and have more in the hopper for post-launch deployment or can we really say we're committed to elder games?
    We'll see as we reveal more about 'em too.
    Rumze likes this.
  9. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Thank you for this!
  10. Hydros

Hydros Cupcake

11. Xorkrik

Xorkrik New Cupcake

Removed some "you know's" :)
    Bomoo likes this.
  12. kur1

kur1 Cupcake-About-Town

Ain't nothing wrong with locking instances in my eyes. I'd love for raids (and most end-game challenging content) to be unlocked via server cooperation or "milestones". IoQD / ToT-style, with a few improvements to make it more than just gobs of dailies.

The equation Blizzard used for ToT kept things balanced among big and small servers, too. (# of objectives completed) / (# of players who zoned into the area that phase) ensures things unlock on the most dedicated servers earliest. But there'd be dedicated days (every 72hrs, for example) the instance could 'unlock', ensuring there was a uniform start time for all servers who finished the unlocking.

You get your server cooperation, first-raider attunement experience, and a sense of immediacy. Once the event's over and things are unlocked, players just need to do an individual-focused quest to get into the raid. The attunement should be account-wide after a certain period of time (so people aren't pressured to make alts for progression in less competitive guilds).