1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Should Carbine "gate" launch raids?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by MeakGG, Apr 29, 2013.

?

Should raids at launch be gated by...

1. An epic chain quest that takes hours of playtime to complete (a la Ony quest)

68.2%
  2. An epic realm contribution that takes weeks to complete (a la AQ gates)

48.4%
  3. Gear check gating

22.6%
  4. Time frame gating

10.6%
  5. Any type of gating could be cool...

13.4%
  6. NO GATING!! RAIDS RIGHT NOW!!

7.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Silas Jasar

Silas Jasar Cupcake-About-Town

Its just as subjective to say if the quest is there people will do it. The point is the quest is not a challenge. Its a block. A person with no skill can complete it but its a time sink and, in my opinon, one that is not needed. Like some have mentioned if the quest are not manditory but help lead up the raid that would be cool but putting something in your way that just takes more time, not more skill, doesnt help anyone.
  2. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Again, subjective. Some have been challenging, some have been interesting and some have been boring. Depends on the person. You see it as a block I see it as a gate. Open the gate and you can go in, don't and stay out side. Again, the players choice.
    Joukehainen and Outlaw like this.
  3. Shaigh

Shaigh Cupcake

A choice means there are multiple ways to access it, but mandatory prerequirements are not choices.

Raidguilds will have prerequirements to do raiding and they will be harsher than attunements. The difference is that its up to the leadership to make decisions based on what is good for the group, instead of devs making arbitrary decisions of what they think players must do for raiding.

I prefer gating where the leader (and possibly more people) have created access to a raid since that requires the group to acquire access to the raid instead of relying on 40 players fixing their personal attunement. Raiding is about doing things as a group, its not about individual accomplishments.

This sort of gating means that to access the cave of fiery doom 2 you need a few people that completed the cave of fiery doom 1, but you don't need to complete the first one every time a new player joins your group.
    SituationSoap likes this.
  4. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Choice also means deciding to do something or not.
  5. SituationSoap

SituationSoap Cupcake-About-Town

Well, right, but if you say "I want to do X" and the game says "You need to have done Y first", that's not a choice. It's just an arbitrary wall that's set up in front of the player.
  6. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I truly do get what your saying, I do. But it stills comes down to the player saying I don't like this barrier/gate/wall and then deciding not to do it.
  7. MeakGG

MeakGG Cupcake-About-Town

Leveling is now an arbitrary wall to raid, along with getting a job, saving up money for a computer, buying the game, and waking up in the morning.

:inlove:
  8. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

I wish there was some way to 'watch' a raid as an observer...kinda like shadow it so I can learn how to do this too!
  9. Silas Jasar

Silas Jasar Cupcake-About-Town

Who knows Seagrey. They are doing the spectator for arenas. Its a little bit of a stretch but not to far if you can get it in their ear.
  10. Zyfreit

Zyfreit Cupcake

I found quest chain gating fun. I enjoyed the long quests making me run all over to get keyed for stuff. It made me explore parts of the world I had never seen. I loved the AQ event in WoW where the whole server had to pitch in to get it to open up. Things like this add a little more depth to the game instead of: hit max level, kill everything, go play something else next week. They also made me feel like I had accomplished something, because I had personally invested so much time trying to just get access to die in that Raid instance.
  11. Evig Pint

Evig Pint New Cupcake

I was a fan of the epic quest chains in vanilla WoW. It would be nice if you didn't have to rely on boss drop rates for them though (i.e. do it once and you're on to the next step every time). I thought the big realm events like AQ40 were cool, but the issue there was that *I* didn't get to complete the big epic quest chain. *I* didn't get to ring the gong and get the special black bug mount. I didn't even get to fight the big fancy nightmare dragon in Moonglade. The length and difficulty of the quest chains shouldn't be too crazy, I think. It should be more about fun and introducing you to the storyline of the raid (why is the big bad guy so big and bad, why are you the one to stop him, you could see x attack later on so watch out, etc.)
  12. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

Solo or small group attunements are my preference. I would also like them to be fairly difficult, so that the attunements serve as both a skill and gear check for the raid, and as a raid leader you know everyone in the raid has gone through the attunement.

Knowing that players have at least some baseline gear/ability is very helpful for a raid leader, especially a 40-man raid leader. I think people forget how hard it was to get warm bodies and herd cats back in the day. Attunements are something that can help the raid leader to weed out those who want to be carried, or those who actually want to be raiders
  13. Nymaen

Nymaen New Cupcake

If attunements mean playing through a series of dungeons and doing a guild event in order to earn the right to access a raid, I would be happy with this. Solo attunements wouldn't get a negative response from me either, but I agree with the people here who argue that raiding is a group event and access should be a group achievement. I also really like the concept of a server wide event that opens up the raids though. This way everyone can enjoy the content. Even server wide event in conjuction with a guild wide quest or achievement would be engaging.

The idea of raids not being accessible until a certain time after launch allows players to enjoy the game content without feeling the pressure to power level their entire guild so everyone can gear up for a server first. People will be rushing enough as it is. But allow people to be aware of when these events start, and do not make it too long. Hardcore raiders out there will not be pleased to wait too long, and raiding should still hold a bit of prestige to keep people interested. So if you've got 40 people ready to raid after X amount of time after launch, than you should get to raid first. It's a lot of work getting 40 + people in a guild ready to raid after the release of a game.

TL;DR: Dungeons available at launch to gear up. Gated event or chain quest completed only with a group or guild. Raids should not be available right on launch so players can enjoy content without rushing to get there in the first week. Also extends content for players.
    Naunet likes this.
  14. MeakGG

MeakGG Cupcake-About-Town

I need to disagree here. First off, there was a whole entire zone completely reformed and requested JUST for *you*. Silithus was transformed for the lore, and everything in there became all about the gates. You got to experience that. And for the 1/2 (if done within 1 hour opposite faction I believe) guys that rang the bell gong and got the mount... that makes it legendary. It makes it legendary that they were the forefront to our success. They were the one who put in the most time, and did the most work. What's wrong with them getting something special? If it's because *you* don't have the time, and they do, so they shouldn't be able to get something *you* can't... that's ridiculous.
  15. Evig Pint

Evig Pint New Cupcake

I see what you mean, and I don't disagree....but I still felt like I came out of the experience missing something. I think I would have been fine with it if you could still put in the effort and complete the questline afterwards to get your mount and title. Maybe for me it just comes down to not liking the fact that no matter what I do I can never get those items....I feel like there should always be a way, even if it's super hard and time consuming.

That being said, I think the actual gate opening event for AQ40 was pretty cool with all those bosses running around all over and absolute chaos breaking out. I think part leading up to it that mostly consisted of farming could have been a little more exciting though.
  16. Oziriz

Oziriz New Cupcake

All I can say is that I really miss atunements in WoW. Though they should make it account-wide so that you don't have to redo it on an alt, or say you want to re-roll another class. I'm all for putting in the effort to get ready for raiding content. Test your skills in a hard quest-line or world event before entering that raid!
  17. Outlaw

Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Going to have to agree about account-wide attunement. I'm all for attunement quests, but it didn't feel the same doing it on alts, and I don't see why it would be necessary.
  18. M3stro0

M3stro0 Cupcake

I've seen this mentioned a lot recently, and personally I'm a fan of having attunements. I think they are mistaken for more of a time consuming grind fest and that only HC raiders do them, etc. IMO attunements are there for more lore purposes/ a more realistic feeling. Like you shouldn't be able to waltz up into Black Temple on launch IMO, it really doesn't fit in lore-wise, I got that same feeling from ICC although you could argue that they did a better job with the surrounding environment as it was released. At least this time you weren't waltzing past every mob guarding ICC to go to the raid portal and then kill all the bosses. I get that it's a game but that just seems kind of silly to me.

At least for the huge end boss there should probably be an attunement process as IMO it just doesn't feel right to be able to walk into this massive fortress and then kill everything. I'll use AQ as an example, but it's attunement was more of a world event, but anyway you finally unlock the gates and then a massive army comes out to try and slaughter you and the 3000 people standing by the gate. That seems more fitting then just walking right up to Ice Crown Citadel with no path of resistance at all.

You could tie in some tier 0.5 epics with the attunement quests sorta like Blizz did in Vanilla with the dungeon sets. That could help get the casual or new level 50s going in the right direction IMO.

Anyways I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts on this subject are.
  19. KaeyiDream

KaeyiDream Cupcake

I like attunements, i like that guilds have to band together to get raid leaders attuned, it works well and gives a sense of team work, which is what Carbine seems to want from raiding. Considering they are going back to 40mans and wanting it to be a top % who complete raids, i wouldn't be surprised if they had some sort of attuning to even enter them :)
  20. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

The same as it was in all those other threads :p

TL;DR answer: I'm in for attunements :up: for reasons i've stated many times before ;)