1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Should There Be `Limits` on Ganking?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Zapp Brannigan, Apr 21, 2013.

?

Do You Think Low-Level Ganking Should Be Disincentivized?

1. Yes, you should be unable to attack players x levels lower than you.

12 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. Yes, gankers should recieve a stacking debuff (or vice versa) until the lowbie can fight back.

13 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Yes, higher level players should be debuffed in lower level zones (only PvP stats. Somehow).

6 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. Yes, players killed by higher-levels should become immune to PvP for x duration.

3 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. Yes (other).

5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. No, ganking should be completely unhindered.

22 vote(s)
    19.1%
  7. No, though there should be safe areas.

46 vote(s)
    40.0%
  8. No (other).

8 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan Cupcake-About-Town

EDIT: New thread. I've been swayed, limiting PvP is a bad idea. New thread proposes something different that is more PvP oriented (I tried starting a discussion on this here, but it was over looked, so). I'll leave the rest of the OP intact, though.

Stepping on a minefield with this one, but oh well.

Do you think that there should be some sort of system in the game to either prevent, or disincentivize, ganking in WildStar (including on PvP servers)?

Now, personally, I'm not worried about being killed while I'm fighting a mob, or someone several levels higher killing me then moving on. That's fine, it's expected, no big deal. What I do hate is being relentlessly ganked with no way to fight back other than hoping someone who can fight back happens along. This is especially frustrating when done in a way that is literally inescapable.

Some people will argue that this is what world PvP is. And I get it. You kill the lowbies so that they call in the higher levels and you'll have a jolly good time when they get there. Thing is, that's not how it always works out, nor does every lowbie-ganker share that mindset. Again, I'll re-iterate: being killed as a high-level passes through is fine, being killed by a high level relentlessly because they enjoy your suffering is not.

For this reason, I'd like to see something to limit ganking of that nature. I'll leave it to a poll, though, as I feel I'm going to be sorely outvoted on this one. The way I see it, there are a few potential solutions to this problem:

1) Flat-out make players unable to attack enemy players x levels below them.

2) A disincentive for slaying an enemy x levels below you who did not attack first (perhaps a stacking, 5 minute debuff that lowers your damage and health by x percent).

3) Conversely, buff the player who is being ganked repeatedly (would have to only apply to PvP damage and perhaps PvP resistance to avoid exploitation).

4) Somehow concoct a system where a level 20 (or three level 20's) stands a chance against a level 50. Perhaps a higher level player could get a debuff in lower level zones, that somehow (magically) only effects PvP performance.

Interested to see people's thoughts.
    Hidzume likes this.
  2. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

But really I don't see the point in limiting it as I think that's what a PvP server is and there are PvE servers to roll on if you want to avoid it, though I wouldn't be upset if they imposed restrictions.
  3. spencerBAXLEY

spencerBAXLEY Cupcake-About-Town

If you're on a PVP server, or you've flagged yourself for PVP I feel you've signed yourself up for the ganking you're inevitably going to receive. Personally, I don't find anything wrong with that—being ganked or doing ganking. Never really bothered me.
    wormed likes this.
  4. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I went with no but there should be safe areas. Im not rolling on a pvp server but have played on them.

It goes hand in hand with being on a pvp server. You have access to all the bgs , arenasm warplots as a pve server and there is world pvp that doesnt require you to flag yourself.

I think its kind of the point of a pvp server, jumping on an unsuspecting person while they are gathering, fight a mob, on their way to somewhere regardless of level.
  5. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

When you sign up to a pvp server, you know the score. Yes, you will get ganked but that's the price you pay.
  6. Luciamund

Luciamund Cupcake

they implemented the turn into a chicken when you outleveled an area in warhammer online.... worst thing ever. Anytime that a game takes choices away from you because your character is too uber. anytime a game does this it makes me want to smash a keyboard, anytime a game makes me wanna smash a keyboard i stop playing the game. And lets be honest if you sign up for a pvp server expecting to have your hand held by the game when you do bad enough... why did you join a pvp server again?
  7. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

I actually agree with the OP, i remember quite some years back when i was still playing EQ2 i was bored/maxed out, etc and decided "hey why not try a PVP server", so i did, level 6 in Peat Bog and this guy at 20 or 30 (i forget) just camped my ass, i was the only one in there, everytime i rezzed he killed me again. I literally could not progress forward at all due to this one person, lvl 6 with my player knowledge was maybe 20-30minutes into the game tops.

He was clearly camping the area for new toons/players. But seriously i doubt ANY developer designs PVP with that kind of treatment in mind. I eventually (after idk how many deaths) just had to logoff, i tried it again over the days but there were serveral instances of this behaviour. In the end i decided whats the point. Had i been a new player i probably would have just quit.

When you play on a PVP server you expect certain hurdles, as in something to be overcome. You can not overcome someone who one shots/2 shots you. End of story.

So anyone saying you sign-up for that kind of behaviour it quite frankly wrong until you show me a post of the PVP Designer <CRB_Barbic> saying otherwise, in which case i'll take a bow. You sign up for everything else explained by the OP, not that kind of stuff.
    Cynister likes this.
  8. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

The limit is that you have to be on a PVP server. That is the only limit I think it needs. PvP is virtually all about ganking and causing other players pain.
    spencerBAXLEY likes this.
  9. Zapp Brannigan

Damn filthy neutral! (I probably should've added that option. OH WELL).

That's the thing, you describe it as inevitable, it doesn't have to be (and, to re-iterate, I'm fine with being ganked by a high level as he's passing through, it's malicious camping that detracts from my enjoyment of the game). And really, lowbie ganking isn't PvP. The 'vs' implies that both parties are fighting each other, where-as lowbie ganking is the higher level hitting the lower level once or twice while they have no option to retaliate.

I think I'd actually like PvP servers, if it weren't for this one factor.
  10. spencerBAXLEY

spencerBAXLEY Cupcake-About-Town

The thing is, a lot of times crafting resources are in areas that are also used for leveling. It's not really personal, but while I'm in an area doing my thing the opposite faction is not allowed. I will continue to swipe at you until you go away.

But what you're describing is not the same really, that's just plain griefing. But you do have a method of retaliation—report them. I just don't feel like I should be punished for being aggressive, just because there are a few bad apples. :p
    Outlaw likes this.
  11. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

I vote no. As others have said, if you are in a PVP server, then it is part of the game. Also, it is always a bad idea to *penalize* players for actually playing the game. But, there is another solution... I would add rewards for killing high level enemy players in low level zones. I mean, good rewards. Lots of xp, or money, or something, when you play as an anti-ganker. That could potentially pull more high level players into low level zones to defend lowbies.

I know this could be exploited to no end as well, so there should be limits on this. I just think that it is better to incentivate the good behavior you want from players (protect lowbies), instead of penalizing players for actually playing the game within the rules...
  12. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

I personally love pvp and getting ganked by higher lvls who just got their new weapon is a part of it.. IF they do implement a handycap.. MAYBE they can just do as some do in BGs.. instead of boosting lowbies to higher lvl.. why dont they reduce stats to a set lvl for that lowbie zone? 10-20 zone. lvl 50 goes in and stats are reduced to 20, yes he's stronger due to gear and skills.. but at least the lower lvls can team up and fend for themselves.. Some will hate this idea but hey its whatever. But this would create a ton of Open world PvP events.. Higher lvls can make events to raid a lower lvl zone town? and instead of getting the only 3 high lvls in your guild to help you.. all of you can join in and stomp some ass :)

You get xp from killing players.. so if the lowbies end up killing the gankers.. they get rewarded for it anyways. if the higher lvls lose, well i guess they get nothing but the thrill of being able to fight.

Most gank lowbies cuz they cant defeat max lvls who are geared out.. this idea almost evens the play field, they can gank lowbies but have a challange somewhat
    Hidzume and Outlaw like this.
  13. gyves

gyves Cupcake

Based on what we know limitations, on ganking already exist within Wildstar.

1. As other have already mentioned there is a limitation based on what you server type you choose.
    2. Your chosen faction is also a limitation on the number of people who can gank you.
    3. What zone you're in determines if you're flagged for PvP.
    4. Sanctuaries. These are places where you can't kill an opposing player, even within an otherwise contested zone.
    5. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, there are no explicit incentives to participate in World PvP let alone to gank players.
  14. wormed

wormed Cupcake

Wildstar has safe zones. The moment you hit the designated level that puts you into contested areas, there isn't such a thing as "ganking." End of thread.

If you don't want to encounter PvP scenarios, whether it's a 50 killing in a 20 zone, or a 50 killing 50s, please roll on a PvE server and save us all from the whine threads.
  15. Zapp Brannigan

Perhaps I should have used the phrase griefing, then. What are your opinions on that?
  16. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Safe zones at quest hubs and flight masters imo, everywhere else you should be vulnerable.
    edit: Then again, I remember how much fun I had PvP'ing at Lights Hope Chapel in Eastern Plaguelands in vanilla WoW (before they put the guards there), so I'm changing my vote to having world PvP completely unhindered.
  17. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

uh, Ahem... Players give XP in open world... already mentioned, AND there are Wanted Posters in the video's when they clicked on them. It clearly shows BOUNTIES on Players... It showed 2 players wanted.... SO YES, there is Incentive to open world PvP.

If you are on a PvP server, you are attackable anywhere exept starter zones and a few sanctuaries. your second " 2. Your chosen faction is also a limitation on the number of people who can gank you." HUH? so if 5 people attack me 2 can do DMG? is this voodoo?

Maybe we watched different video's or something. but its cool :) your right about sanctuaries and limitation on servers... basically on a PvE server you can Flag yourself and get attacked by other faction players.. or if you enter their city you are auto flagged and attackable.
  18. Zapp Brannigan

I'd be ok with this, so long as res stations are included as safe zones (or you can choose to res in the area's safe zone), and safe zones don't rely solely on guards as a deterrent.
  19. Agent Drew

Agent Drew Cupcake-About-Town

Pretty much this. Although I don't really agree with ganking and especially camping, unless there's an exploit that forces people to flag than you pretty much need to brace for it.

However, I think it'd be cool if players who are killed out in the open world by other players consistently were pinged on the map for all other players of that zone to see. That or some other kind alert less vague than "the barrens are under attack".
  20. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

There will always be people who don't like to be ganked! And you know what they will do next?

Check the video:

But in all seriousness :D , people that whine about it do it themselves aswell from time to time, or have done it. Don't go on a PvP server or flag for PvP if you don't like it.
    Mailroomclerk and Veckna like this.