1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Should There Be `Limits` on Ganking?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Zapp Brannigan, Apr 21, 2013.

?

Do You Think Low-Level Ganking Should Be Disincentivized?

1. Yes, you should be unable to attack players x levels lower than you.

12 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. Yes, gankers should recieve a stacking debuff (or vice versa) until the lowbie can fight back.

13 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Yes, higher level players should be debuffed in lower level zones (only PvP stats. Somehow).

6 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. Yes, players killed by higher-levels should become immune to PvP for x duration.

3 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. Yes (other).

5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. No, ganking should be completely unhindered.

22 vote(s)
    19.1%
  7. No, though there should be safe areas.

46 vote(s)
    40.0%
  8. No (other).

8 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

An argument can be both unconvincing and valid. You've heard quite a few valid arguments that have apparently been unconvincing, but that may have just as much to do with their lack of support as the fact that you made up your mind before making this thread and are therefore closed off to having it changed.
    spencerBAXLEY and Simokon like this.
  2. Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan Cupcake-About-Town

But my mind has changed, from 'protect the lowbies' to 'let the lowbies fight back'.

You said that you enjoy an environment where slaughtering low levelled players is possible, I presented a counter-argument that if they can fight back, it would be much the same, to which you replied "I don't have a reason to believe that's not currently possible."

That came off as an agreement to me, did I misinterpret?

edit: and yes, I am open to having my mind changed further. That's why I asked the question. I was being truthful when I said that I cannot see an argument against it (beyond what you gave me, which I thought I rebutted and you agreed with).
  3. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Leveling on a PvP server is very much like going from 1-18 in life.

Up to about the age of 5, life is bliss. You learn the very basics of walking, talking and generally get showered with gifts/items. At the age of 5 however you go to school. School is very much like the contested area. Each year (level range) has their own unique area to play in. You may find that sometimes you end up in a fight, often with boys and girls your own age but sometimes some of the bigger boys might pick on you (bullys or 'griefers'). Sometimes they might wait for you after you rez each morning on your way back to school. Sometimes capped players (teachers/parents) might join in and one shot you with a grounding or suspension.

As you get older, the cycle inevitably continues until you leave. You may opt for college or university or jump straight into a currency/gear grind. You might end up getting good, being a boss so no one can own you or you might just trudge along with poor skills, getting stuck to by the man whenever he feels like it. You may even become a parent or teacher yourself, and then it will be up to you to set the standard for the lowbies.

TLDR - Life is like a PvP server. Ruined by people. Get over it.
    Heart in the Stars and Simokon like this.
  4. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

I have found the Video, and to everyone on this thread SORRY for leading you ON! It was MY mistake. My graphic settings were low and the WANTED poster just threw me off.. it was a Quest saying (2 Players) as in you'll need 2 players to accomplish it.
    I'll post video here at 2:50 he runs to the Wanted poster.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=veB3Qf6dvgE

Mistake on My part... Although I do hope they add a player bounty system in the future I think it would be fun and exciting.
  5. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Hells; I’m all for giving lowbs a Colt, but as Jojin pointed out
    It’s consensual, so why not let the schoolyard bullies play on the schoolyard bully server the way they wish to play? Other than having them come whining in the general forum about their low population it does not affect the PvE community; nor the PvP community on a PvE server.

What is the point of trying to set and enforce rules on a PvP server?
  6. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

If there are PvP servers ganking will be allowed as it's part of PvP play because little kiddies feel the need to kill lower level players as it seems to make them feel good or something?

I like how Tera did OWPvP. My only complaint with their OWPvP was that there were too many safe zones. Any little camp that had a quest hub and a fire was a safe zone. I really didn't care for that. I would prefer only towns or extremely low level zones to be safe zones. I mean zones below level 11. Once you are 11+ I think it's all fair game. As an avid PvP'er I understand that I will get ganked and I really don't care. So yah you killed me I'll respawn and go on about my business. I do like some way to show that the player is ganking lowbies ie.. their name flag's red. I loved lineage2's system. If you kill players too far below you your name will turn red. The more players you gank the redder your name becomes and the higher percentage chance their is that you may drop your gear when you die or something out of your inventory. Paid a bunch of gold for a 100 stack of health pots.. you die, and guess what? They are gone, but hey.. I picked them up so yay for me. Also once red you can no longer enter any major city as the guards will kill you on site. I loved that. So you had to go grind mobs your level to remove the debuff. Basically if I killed one player that was around 10 levels beneath me I may have to go grind mobs for 10-20 minutes to remove the debuff. If I killed 3 players 10 levels beneath me that could go up to say 45minutes. I love that system.
  7. Clockwerk

Clockwerk Cupcake

Give me those tarren mill / southshore fights !!! I hope the community is up to it
  8. Glacius

Glacius Cupcake-About-Town

The more arbitrary restrictions that are placed on players the less fun people will have. I think the contested/uncontested way of handling wpvp, as well as PvE and PvP servers are by far the most effective without intruding on one's gameplay experience.

I personally am a big fan of wpvp, but I'm never the type to gank lowbies. I actually prefer to be on the handicapped side, whether it be a lower level, worse gear, or outnumbered as it's more enjoyable for me to overcome those odds. I think it's silly to just camp lowbies at max level and I really don't see the fun in griefing somebody.

Of course, there are plenty of these types of players but it's something that encourages socializing with other players and I'd be glad to help out lowbies if they are being ganked constantly by higher level players.
    spencerBAXLEY and Alverad like this.
  9. SirRobin

SirRobin Cupcake-About-Town

I do recall that WoW was, originally, supposed to have rewards and punishments for its PvP "Honor" system. They pulled it before launch and when they reintroduced it a few months later Blizzard left out the punishments part. I recall reading it in the manual, still have that around somewhere, and was looking forward to seeing how it worked.

Of course, without punishments, the Honorocalypse happened instead. WoW's PvP ruleset servers had become a PvP-Lite environment where ganking happened, but without any reward system it was relatively rare. Introducing rewards completely fubared the PvP servers' environment. The carnage getting so bad that Blizzard had to seriously upgrade the town npc guards to even begin to cope.

Personally I would love to get Blizzard's original rewards and punishments plan for WoW finally put into a game. Barring that I would rather have no rewards at all for PvP. Take it back to something people do because they want to PvP, not to grind out rewards. I've always felt that PvE is for grinding, and PvP is something you do just for the fun of it.
  10. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

Sadly a lot of players seem to enjoy such activities, and it's really no fun when you're being camped by a capped player, in the early morning hours, when none of your guildies are on. I'd be all for some sort of 'incentive' to motivate pvpers to pick up equal level fights. All that said, people will always find a way to grief others, if such is their mindset. So despite not liking being ganked myself, I can think of other things to devote resources to, other then preventing it. If you really hate it, play on a PVE realm like I do :p From my 6 years in WoW, while PVP servers appear to have much better PVE progresion on average, the ambience/community is much nicer on PVE/RP realms. And I'll take fun atmosphere over killing that last boss of a tier, anytime. Guess that comes with age ;)
  11. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

Nah, those STV fights or Hellfire Pen fights. Better yet, the fights in front of TK/Kara we so juicy raid fighting..../shudder I miss. I don't seem to understand why this is even 6 pages. If you roll on a PVP SERVER you will get ganked, it is a point of fact. If you don't want to get ganked roll on a PVE server. It is that simple.
    Simokon likes this.
  12. Alverad

Possibly cos this thread is about low level ganking, not just ganking ? :p
    Fights in front of Kara/TK/SSC what not, where great fun; they were all among capped players, not random level 5 Joe getting his bum kicked everytime he tries to rez, by some insecure capped kid.
  13. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

This is almost a non issue.

I've just spent the last few weeks levelling up my 1st character on WoW to 90 (currently 85). Since phasing was introduced, the lower levels are littered with players of all kind of levels.

I tend to get ganked at popular quest hubs but rarely camped. I'd say less that 0.1% of my time has been involved in wPvP and most of that was same level.

People only believe its an issue as the most negative things usually stick in their heads.

Leave our PvP servers as they are.
  14. SoulstoDeny

SoulstoDeny New Cupcake

That insecure capped kid was most likely getting ganked/camped when he was low level too.

Difference is, he dealt with it and understood the realities of rolling on a PVP server.
    Mailroomclerk likes this.
  15. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

There's already an anti-ganking system in place, guys. We call it a PVE server. People who don't want to deal with getting killed by other players can roll there.
    Shaigh likes this.
  16. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

PvP servers are free for all, it is the intend of them, if someone rolls on a PvP server and find out (s)he does not like the gankfest, then they should consider rolling on PvE instead. Simple as that.

That said, I always did like the thought of different degrees of servers between pve - pvp, instead of making it so black'n'white though I imagine it is hell of a lot of work on the devs part?

A debuff/buff stack by the number of levels difference upon killing an opponent could be interesting.

Kill someone 5 levels lower, you get a 5 stack pvp stat debuff for 10-15 minutes. Kill someone else within that time 3 levels lower, you refresh your debuff at 8 stacks for 10-15 minutes. Up to stacking 100% debuff, then it extend the time it lasts too.

Kill someone opposit faction 5 levels higher, you get 5 stacks of pvp rep/point gain bonus for 5 minutes. etc. Up to a reasonable %, and no extension for time.
  17. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Far too exploitable with kill trading. Better to just stick with the status quo.
  18. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

Then Joe shouldn't have rolled a PVP server should he.

19. Leiloni

Leiloni Cupcake-About-Town

I do enjoy PvP a lot and think Carbine should do everything they can to encourage OwPvP on PvP servers, however I do not condone low level ganking. There's really no point to it. Near level PvP is more fun for everyone.

But what worries me is that currently 40% of the votes are for the option, " No, though there should be safe areas.". If there are safe zones, there needs to be some sort of rule that you aren't truely safe until you've been out of combat for say, 10 seconds or so. And vice versa - you can't attack anyone until you've been outside the safe zone for about 10 seconds. This would prevent "safe zone hopping" which is the bane of every true PvPer's existence. People should not be allowed to merely run across an imaginary line and suddenly be safe from all attacks. If you're too cowardly to fight back, or to die honorably when you've been beaten, then roll on a PvE server.
  20. Alverad

I partially agree with you, and already stated that in my first post, my main is always on a PVE realm, in any game that has the distinction; however, rolling on a PVP server shouldn't necessarily mean you agree to tolerate twatty behaviour by default. There is fun to be had, in many different ways, last of which should involve griefing others :D