1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Should There Be `Limits` on Ganking?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Zapp Brannigan, Apr 21, 2013.

?

Do You Think Low-Level Ganking Should Be Disincentivized?

1. Yes, you should be unable to attack players x levels lower than you.

12 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. Yes, gankers should recieve a stacking debuff (or vice versa) until the lowbie can fight back.

13 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Yes, higher level players should be debuffed in lower level zones (only PvP stats. Somehow).

6 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. Yes, players killed by higher-levels should become immune to PvP for x duration.

3 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. Yes (other).

5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. No, ganking should be completely unhindered.

22 vote(s)
    19.1%
  7. No, though there should be safe areas.

46 vote(s)
    40.0%
  8. No (other).

8 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. SirRobin

SirRobin Cupcake-About-Town

I interpret "safe zones" the same way they were interpreted in early WoW on PvP servers. As far as I can recall, there were friendly, contested, and hostile, zones. In friendly zones no one could attack you first unless you flagged yourself for pvp. In contested zones you could attack first as everyone was flagged for pvp. In hostile zones you could not attack first unless they were flagged for pvp.

I don't think they mean anything like FFA when they are talking about the PvP ruleset. We'll still probably have an arrangement similar to WoW's PvP ruleset.
  2. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

Sure there is fun to be had on PVP servers, Open World battles just appearing out of nowhere, but if you don't want to put up with the majority of the experience roll a PVE server for the "consensual" Open World PVP. Like I said if you roll a PVP server you should have the mind set:

At some point in your experience, no matter the level, you will get ganked. At times, you will get gang ganked. Other times, you will do the ganking with a group of friends or for the bounty.

I'm not saying it isn't a turd move to go and gank camp a lowbie, but I would be remiss to say that I haven't done a bit of ganking while farming, just for giggles. It has happened to me, but I roll PVP servers because they are funner than all get out when you are in the middle of questing and someone shouts in gen chat "BATTLE OVER HERE AT X MARKS THE SPOT". But you learn to live with the ganking and to be honest, I can't remember the last time I have ever been camped. I think it was back in vanilla WOW, in STV.
  3. JoeDragon

JoeDragon Cupcake-About-Town

I think the only thing we need is a Bounty system that reacts to things like repeat ganking. The bounty reward could increase if someone is killing the same player that cons grey to them over and over. Perhaps even an option for players who are killed to add gold to the reward like in SWG. (As a former SWG Bounty Hunter I LOVE the idea of a type of Bounty system)

PvP, even ganking shouldn't be restricted by the Developers, it should however be handled by the players. Frankly, if you wanna gank a newbie over and over, better be ready to fight someone your own size who is coming for your head, guns blazing.
  4. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

If Wildstar's PvP has a points system with any similarity to the Honor system in World of Warcraft, then there needs to be dishonorable kills. With it, passersby won't mind losing a few points here and there every now and then, but if they were to go on a gank fest then they'd lose all their points.

That of course only stops the temptation on more sane players, but the crazy ones won't care. So to help curb them, add a debuff system. If there is a points system, it should be tied to it, with you having 0 points being the requirement to start getting debuffed. If there is no points system, then have it tied to a timer system, where you (for example) start getting debuffed after killing either 10-15 players or one player 5 times within say 5 minutes. To add to it, make the debuff last a good 30 minutes.
  5. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

If you're getting ganked, the proper response is to recruit fellow faction players and go kill said ganker. You can then repeatedly hunt down said ganker and kill them even more. The original ganker will then go recruit more players to kill you and your friends. This ends up leading to many fights and a nice little war between the factions.

I voted no, with some safe areas. Starting zones are for players to learn how to play. Shouldn't have some annoying ganker stopping a bunch of folks from learning how to play. After that, it is open!
  6. aiuradun

aiuradun Cupcake-About-Town

Well not going to go into the hybrid servers idea again, although I would personally love that kind of server :D

Let me impose another question what do you feel about losing money or a piece of gear every time you die?, or your entire arsenal of items?

And if you do not like this harsh environment, but do love to pvp how would you react to people saying “get lost you carebear!, go play on a pve server”?

Like it’s all about perspective, I love to pvp I just don’t love it all the time or I love pvp I just want it to be relatively fair (equal levels), or I love pvp I just don’t want to lose my items, or I love pvp I just don’t want perma’death, or I love pvp I just don’t want “perma account ban buy a new game death”
    Just because you prefer 1 step of the above hardcore pvp’er ladder doesn’t mean you should shuttle everyone bellow that step off to the pve servers, because it might just not be what they want.

Note that a lot of the steps mentioned above is kind of not relevant since the steps will never go up do actually losing items (that would surprise me). But just took at it as smaller steps with ppl with different preferences, just because you have one might not make the others any less valid.
    Alverad likes this.
  7. Dpz

Dpz Cupcake

No, ganking should be completely unhindered. I agree on safe zones with guards though as in how WoW was.

Why? Well there's nothing worse than joining a PvP server and find there's tons of restrictions on it to please the players who want occasional PvP to happen, that's what PvE servers with flag feature is for.

I agree ganking can be a pain if it leads to being camped for 30min, but often if that person ask for help there will be a kind soul helping out, sometimes it even forms huge battles in the end. I want PvP on every inch of the planet, i want the freedom to visit enemy factions uncontested zones and fool around till players attack me, i want to suicide into the other factions towns etc. And i hope so is the case in Wildstar :)
  8. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Your opening statement contradicts itself, and your finishing statement contradicts part of your opening statement; you’re not the first one in this thread to do this. Maybe because people seem to be using the word gank for all kinds of meanings.
    For me it means a significantly higher level character, attacking a lower level character that is in their proper zone. It’s the Schoolyard Bully; it’s the sixth grader who is messing about in the first graders play area. I looked up gank in the urban dictionary and there was a page long definition, including my use of the word, and others in this thread use of the word.

How can you have a reasonable conversation when you have multiple meanings for the same word? I think the OP should ask to close this thread, and start another one, starting with what they mean by Gank.
  9. Dpz

Dpz Cupcake

Well WoW had dishonorable kills, all it did was that the other faction stacked up tons of lowbie chars and ran into groups of high levels to lower their honor points.

Had it happen a couple of times on world bosses as there was a competition between both factions to claim the boss, suddenly 40 low level players log into the zone and get AoE'd to death, same with Tarren Mill South Shore scenarios.

I think it got removed later on because of that.
  10. Dpz

Dpz Cupcake

I know what ganking is, i just included 2 of the options. Mayby that's why it got confusing or that i'm not a native english speaker idk.

There should be no crazy system in place to prevent ganking, or punish the ganker with debuffs or other wierd and bad systems like become a chicken in Warhammer, no matter what zone in the game this happens. Because some of us can take being ganked, it's like playing hardcore in any ARPG most of us true wPvP players want danger around every corner, but that doesn't mean we are all <REDACTED>s that go around and kill every lowbie we see then camp them for hours. Hope that clears it up. :3
  11. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> Please try to keep the aggression to a minimum. There are far better ways to argue your point than replying in an openly hostile manner. </Mod Monocle>
  12. Mailroomclerk

Mailroomclerk Cupcake

I would much rather have PVP servers be ruined because there is too much PVP than because there isn't enough.
    - Abraham Lincoln

I know people play MMO's differently but usually the game starts at MAX level. The absence of a solid "End Game" I think has crippled many MMO's that could have otherwise been more successful. Where I believe the leveling portion of the game should be enjoyable, I am far more concerned on other aspects of the game that go beyond having to quest in a different zone or wait on a res timer.

Everything has already been said. A higher level guy can beat a lower level guy, big deal. Trust me, I've read all the replies so I'm not trying to undermine anyone's post. Feel free to take it in it's simplest form - The higher level guy beats a lower level, that is all. I only reiterate so one can imagine the scenario. Who is likely to help the other? More people will flock to help a damsel in distress than to join someones urge to killing those who have no chance.

I played a ton of Call of Duty and I'll 1v1 anyone all day any day snipes only MW2 but eventually I quit because it was just too easy for me. Actually, non of that is true I just wanted to sound like a really big douchebag and make a point. You have to learn how to endure an ass whipping from time to time and I'm telllling you it's a skill you get better at dealing with. Which by the way, can actually enhance your outlook in the real world too. World PVP is fun and spontaneous, sometimes the action is popping and other times it may not be worth your time.

I think part of enjoying PVP or a competitive aspect of any game is to enjoy the rough moments. I could write another 100 pages but I'll give you a few examples of how a bad PVP situation turns into positive and fun game experience.

Lowbie: dude im getting redacted in my redacthole!
    Mailroomclerk: OMW, I got this...
    [​IMG]
    Lowbie has died.
    Mailroomclerk has died.
    Lowbie: LOL HOLY $#@!
    Mailroomclerk: HAHA THERE WAS A &#$^@@ MILLION OF THOSE @#$&^!!!
    Mailroomclerk: I'm outta here.
    Lowbie: Lol y a me2,

And this happens all the time!

Everything has been said, now feel free to hear an embarrassing WoW story that has positively effected my MMO career.

I was part of a guild that wasn't very good. I say this because the story starts with an alliance Priest in our guild who had just collected all the mats needed for the legendary staff out of Firelands (WoW Raid). It's a story in itself really, we already were talking about how he may be the last person to get the staff because he is the first person from all we know to do it after completing zero heroic boss fights (LOL).

CAPS MODE [X]

AS HE IS DOING THE CEREMONY IN FRONT OF THE ENTIRE CITY AND OUR GUILD - IN VENT - HIS CHARACTER IS NOW DOING HIS RP THING ON A PILLAR IN THE SKY. A LEVEL 85 HORDE SHAMAN FLIES IN OUT OF NOWHERE AND KILLS HIM IN FRONT OF US, THE CITY, AND THE HUGE QUEST NPC THAT'S IN THE MIDDLE OF A LONG DIALOG, we hear the sounds of his character go ARRRGH as his body falls quickly to the earth and lays dead... The quest was bugged for a little now and the city was blowing up. I'm not sure if this has ever happened to anyone before but we were freaking the F out and it's one of the best moments I've witnessed. A master gank!

"Hey, Chris. Remember that one time you got ganked in front of your whole faction during your most glorious moment?"