1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

*sigh* Sorry, but I have to ask. Operating Systems?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by VooDoo, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

So, my wife and I use to play MMO's quite a bit but shes not the die hard gamer that I am and her being on a mac exclusively pretty dampens that as well. We ran a guild for a while in World of Warcraft and she hasnt played any games in almost a year.

Make long stories short, shes a huge sci-fi fan. More so than myself and absolutely loves firefly, farscape, dr. who all the way down to her fan videos and her brown coats lanyard she wears at work. Shes loves stylized art and is really starting to get interested in Wildstar because it seems be blend what she likes in gaming and what she loves in video.

Now that thats out of the way the question is for her. Shes a mac fan girl mainly because doing videos is both a hobby and a part time job for her and the mac just works for her. She refuses to run bootcamp and purchase a windows OS so she wants to know if there are any plans to make Wildstar available on mac OSx?

I know theres options out there, as mentioned bootcamp or crossover games. Shes just hoping for native support. Oddly enough 3 of my old guild mates from WoW also use nothing but macs and we're considering getting our old guild together for this game but if it lacks native support Im not sure if I'll be able to convince some of these folks to participate.
  2. Pontianak

Pontianak Cupcake

Way to early to say. Even with that said, she sounds like she is just being bullheaded stubborn. Why would you NOT use a solution presented to you? Hell, I would LOVE to dual-boot my PC with the Mac OS, but the O'Holy Apple has deemed that I am not allowed to.
  3. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Well, City of Heroes has a Mac edition which is essentially the Windows client just in an emulation wrapper. And since City of Heroes is run by Paragon Studios (another NCsoft studio) then maybe Carbine can have a quiet word with their colleagues as to how feasible this would be for WildStar.

The likelihood of a native MacOS client though... well, let's call it not so good is past history of other MMO's is anything to go by. I suspect the MacOS Gamer market segment is too small for most to consider the extra development time outlay.
  4. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

ya shes stubborn :) she doesnt want to pay for a windows license to basically just game on. Shes told me before if she wanted to use windows shed buy a pc.

I actually just spoke to her about this and we both realize chances are the game wont have native support. I think her anticipation for the Wildstar is starting to overwhelm her love for her mac because when we started discussing options she seemed a lot more willing to try these things out than she has in the past. I even mentioned building her a PC and she seemed up for it which shocked me. I thought she was being sarcastic.

We havnt had any luck with bootcamp in the past. We've done some extensive testing with World of Warcraft running under bootcamp vs. running natively in Mac OSx and the Mac OS native client absolutely destroyed the performance of what she was getting booted into windows under bootcamp. Ive tested 2 other games with bootcamp and the one thing ive noticed is that games that offer native mac support run a LOT better under the mac OS than when you use bootcamp booting to windows on her mac. I think it mostly revolves around driver support for the hardware the mac uses in windows. We did run into some issues finding a few drivers and needless to say theres really not much support out there for the integrated mac hardware by microsoft.

I hear crossover games (runs under wine virtually in the mac os) is the best option for mac gamers right now. You dont need a windows license and games actually perform better with it then booting out to windows on a mac. We'll probably test that option out first and go from there.

anyway ya it is too early, I agree, but ya never know what they may or may not have in the works.
  5. alienfirst

alienfirst Deck the Granok Winner 2011

I used Bootcamp during school to run the 3D software I needed. I did some minor game playing, but I noticed running Bootcamp made my Macbook Pro run very, VERY hot. It never showed any adverse reactions to this, but it got me feeling very nervous with the heat. I could not touch parts of my laptop at certain points.

Mentioning this as I'm a little in the same boat. All my software for art and graphic design is for Mac, so switching platforms is out of the question. BUT, I recently bought a rather nice laptop for my boyfriend to game on, so I'll actually just be saving to buy a fancy laptop in time to play SW:TOR. Dealing with Bootcamp again is a hassle I just don't want to deal with.
  6. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Original Founder

I switched to a Mac a few months ago and I'm loving it! I was thinking of using Boot Camp to play WildStar and other PC games, but I really don't want to start messing around with partitioning my Mac. I think I'll just buy a PC later for gaming and hook it up to my 40" LED and use my Mac for everything else.

I don't see Carbine releasing a Mac client until well after the release, if they do at all.
  7. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

The only thing stopping me from getting a Mac, other than the price, is the lack of games on the native client.
    Should WildStar miraculously be released on the Mac then I may reconsider.
  8. Torvaldr

Torvaldr New Cupcake

There is a "windows compatibility layer" for posix based systems like the Mac. On Linux it's called WINE, but there is a Mac port of that compatibility layer for Macs as well. There is also a commercial implementation that you can pay for that is much cheaper than paying for a Boot Camp setup. I believe the company that provides the Mac version is called CrossOver Gaming / CrossOver Office (something like that).

The advantage is that it's much cheaper. The disadvantage is that there are setup and patching hoops to jump through especially if the patch client is written in .NET.
  9. Pontianak

Pontianak Cupcake

My first computer was a mac actually. I ended up switching to PC's, partly because of the price, partly because of the community. I've met a LOT of Mac people that tend to look at the Mac/Apple with what almost looks like some sort of quasi religious like feelings that just creeps me out. If there were only a few of these people, I wouldn't care. But... I've seen it a LOT.

The funny thing, is I'm not alone in noticing this "community." A documentary called "MacHeads" came out, and featured some of them. Wacky

To be fair, there are PC people like this, but I personally don't see them very often.
  10. perty

perty New Cupcake

They were around primarily during the 80s and 90s, but PC as a platform just grew too wide, too open and too mainstream to really retain a common community. Now there are subgroups of PC enthusiasts, with Windows and Linux enthusiasts, and PC gamers, being the most obvious ones, but I'm not aware of anyone who's all Scientology about their community the way Apple fanboys are. You probably have to deep-dive into very specialized sub-sub-sub groups for that kind of religious fanaticism.

I've nothing personally against Apple products but my mentality towards their products is more like... Sure, I'd love an iPhone, or a Macbook if you give it to me for free, but actually pay for one? Not a snowball's chance in hell with the way Apple run their business. Also, people who think Apple products are the answer to any problem really creep me out. "Kids are dumb? Buy iPads! That'll fix them right up." Nah. I don't buy that.
  11. perty

perty New Cupcake

If you absolutely have to run .NET on *nix Mono will 9 times out of 10 do the job just fine.
  12. gyves

gyves Cupcake

Last I checked, the OpenGL version in OSX is still woefully out of date. I wouldn't hold my breath.
  13. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

/mod

If you have any issue with what a poster has written, please report the post and not call them out in public. Thanks. This thread has been sanitised for everyone's convenience.
  14. Gazimoff

Gazimoff Cupcake-About-Town

Ultimately it comes down to three options:

• Install Crossover and hope that it will handle Wildstar. This is no sure bet and might end up giving substandard performance. Emulation always has a performance tax.
    • Pay the £100 and install Bootcamp and Windows 7. Again this is a gamble - the spec/performance of yourMac might not be up to running Wildstar. I'd suggest holding off on this until system specs are finalised.
    • Obtain a gaming PC. This comes with it's own set of problems.
    None of them are great choices, and all of them will cost you some money. It's just a case of how much you want to spend and how well you want the game to run.

I'd look at saving up about £1000/$1000 between now and release to spend on whatever you decide to do. There's no rush, and if you don't end up spending it you have a nice bundle of cash to get something nice with :)
  15. Choop

Choop New Cupcake

*BUMP* Just to see if there's any update on future OSX viability
  16. Malisent

Malisent Cupcake-About-Town

They said in the panel, that while they have some devs messing around with OSX versioning (at least one of them actually occasionally playing it on a Mac), it is not a current priority. They did not promise an official delivery at all, but a possibility of some workarounds that might be available. I'm paraphrasing this from memory, so I might not have it exactly. You can look for the more detailed response on the panel video for sure.
    Lethality likes this.
  17. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Well, it's good news that it's on the radar. Making a Mac OS X version is one of the smartest things to, adding an entire new potential customer base without having to re-develop the whole game.
  18. Wayoverpowered

Wayoverpowered Cupcake-About-Town

As well as many potential patching complications, a second part of the codebase to manage, and extra dev time spent... for a minute number of potential mac users, which are already a small minority of the computer userbase, who won't dual-boot Windows. Just to bring things back down to Earth here :).
  19. Malisent

Malisent Cupcake-About-Town

I assume the official panel video will be up SOONTM — once those guys get home and settled. I felt terrible, my phone was dying and I realized I left my extra batteries in the hotel room too late which is why I only got to post a couple questions on my G+ account.
  20. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

I beg of you, please don't go down this road :)

That "minute" number of Mac users is not so minute. As a matter of fact, it's the single largest new market a developer can tap into. It's a sneeze away from the platform they already publish for.

Taking even the smallest of the small estimates, 10% of the installed base is a Mac. If you're World of Warcraft, that represents ~1 million of your players (otherwise known as $15 million per month in revenue.) And indications are, the percentage of Mac players is much... much higher.

Very few assets are platform specific - code, models, art, story, quests, nearly everything the players sees and touches all shared. 80-90% is already done for the Mac. The extra 10-20% effort is easily compensated for given the example I've shown above.

Boot Camp is not a reasonable option. We shouldn't have to spend extra money to dumb-down our systems to play a video game when we already have one more than capable of running it. Ask Blizzard. Or ArenaNet. Or Turbine. Or CCP. Or... you get the idea.

The days of a Mac being a dark horse is long gone - if a software company wants access almost instantly to another ~70 million potential customers, the choice is simple.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.