1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

*sigh* Sorry, but I have to ask. Operating Systems?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by VooDoo, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

BMW would kill to have 6% share of the auto market.

When you're talking about a market as large as "automobiles" or "personal computers" that percentage represents a SIGNIFICANT number of potential customers. Too many to ignore when your product is already at least 80% capable of running on their hardware already.

Also, the audience for an MMO is not "the internet." So those statistics are useless for the purpose at hand.

You need to look at the specific data set, not use "google-fu" as you put it, and determine from there what kind of potential reach your product can have on the Mac. This real data is what the publishers go by - and that's why you see nearly every major triple-A MMO available for the Mac. And why Valve invested in bringing their engine to the Mac platform as well... too many examples to cite.

MMOs are a unique market:
    • The "typical gamer" does not live here.
    • They are also consumed more as a hobby than a simple video game.
    • In general, they also require more of an intellectual committment than a basic video game.
    • They also typically have lower system requirements.
    • They may also rely on players having more disposable income for an ongoing play experience (subscriptions or micro-transactions.)
    All of these are factors which make the target audience much more, well, targeted. And these factors also play well into the profile of a Mac user. I would say that WoW Insider survey isn't too far off the mark. I expect the Mac population of the WoW player base to be well above 20%, which shatters the notion of "typical" market share ideas. Specifically because of the factors above.

No one is saying that the Mac is a bigger audience than Windows. But due to the size of the market, the numbers are not small. All major publishers (including NCsoft, by the way) have their major MMOs running on the Mac, and not because it's a bad business idea.
    Choop likes this.
  2. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Actually, I'm not sure it's the other way around! Drasas can back me up here :)
  3. Wayoverpowered

Wayoverpowered Cupcake-About-Town

Yes, this is all pretty common knowledge, and I'm not arguing that 6% of a lot is still a lot, however as part of the overall market it is indeed a niche. Profitable, perhaps... but that's debatable or we wouldn't be having this discussion, now would we? As far as MMO's and the data set I linked, MMO gamers are a subset of internet users as internet access is required to play them. It's a good, overall indicative measurement of the raw number of machines out there running X or Y.

None of the user behavior factors you listed are fully unique to either mac users or pc users, though mac users do as a whole tend to have more open wallets, I agree, so that does as you said play into the typical "mac user" profile. I disagree, though, that it really influences the marketshare of macs in MMO's to any unrealistically significant amount. Even if you double the Steam survey which is of gamers specifically and is under 4% for all Mac OS versions, you could call it 8%, which is still a niche, let alone that it's not really likely that high due to factor "D" below.

However, as far as the WOW Insider survey? It's too flawed to use as any real data point, A) not controlled, B) targeted at mac users by calling out to them thus damaging the sample, C) has no verification built-in, and D) does not cover mac users who would run a dual-boot ("bootcamp") to run WoW if the Mac version weren't present, among other factors.
  4. Crashtest

Crashtest New Cupcake

Oh to be a Mac owner. It so good for everything else but gaming. Im really looking forward to WildStar but I have split my hard drive before and have come across the same issue of over heating. I know that the PC community still outnumbers Mac but making this game available for Mac would not only benefit the game in the long run, It would also allow the community to grow and expand at a much faster rate, creating a rich gaming community for everyone. I may be the only one who feels this way, but if we look at games that supported both PC and Mac VS only PC, the titles have had much success. Im sure other would argue differently but let take SWTOR. Great game, but they are loosing out on a large consumer base. Consumers without many options, who are looking for option. With few games out their for this side of the market, you can guarantee that they will come out running like kids to an ice cream truck! Im sure its not an easy feat, especially after all of your hard work so far. But you would gain a life time fan a customer if you found it in your gamers hearts to create a mac client.

Thank you.
  5. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

If only if PCs could do everything macs do except better, and far cheaper.
    Ohh wait, they can.

There for a second I thought we were living in an alternate reality in which macs were more than a niche market for apple fanbois. :)

Does your wife's mac even have an actual video card? Probably not.
    Can she play WoW or a similar game without huge issues?

Build a PC! :)
    Problem solved.

Your analogy is laughably incorrect.

Macs are a niche market.

Gaming is a niche market
    MMOs are a niche market within the gaming niche
    WS in itself is designed to be a niche within that MMO niche

This is the potential WS market for Mac User,
    Enjoys gaming
    Is amongst the MMO niche
    Is interested in WS
    Has a mac that can actually run the game well
    Doesn't have dualboot windows
    Doesn't have a PC capable of running the game.

Add all that up and it equates to diddly.
    Thats not to say they might not make money on that small portion of the population though. I have no idea, but lets not pretend its some huge untapped consumer utopia.
  6. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> Sorry, but this is a necro of a now banned topic and considering the replies, I see it is still warranted. Locked. </Mod Monocle>
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.