1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Since mounts have been confirmed for awhile, who here supports flying ones?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Alex Moorhouse-Reaume, Apr 2, 2013.

?

Would you support the implementation of flying mounts?

1. Yep!

46.6%
  2. No way!

53.4%
  1. Alex Moorhouse-Reaume

Alex Moorhouse-Reaume New Cupcake

I can honestly say that I don't support flying mounts, but seem to think they are inevitable due to the technological atmosphere of the setting. It just wouldn't make sense not to have flying mounts when literally everything else around you can fly, and you got to Nexus by flying through space! I generally don't like flying mounts because I feel as if they take away from immersion and allow the user to bypass content that was worked hard on. I know, I know. "if you don't like em, don't use em!" Though I really enjoy seeing everyone else down on the ground with me, I'd miss you guys!!!

How does everyone else feel on this issue?
  2. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

I feel like they already confirmed flying mounts, as for whether I support it I think it'll be much better since the game is starting with them and built around them.
  3. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Flying mounts are already confirmed to be in the game.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/v29wc/iama_18_year_mmo_industry_vet_and_executive
  4. Simokon

Simokon Cupcake-About-Town

I support flying mounts and I can't wait to see what they have in store for them!
  5. Alex Moorhouse-Reaume

6. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

They have also said that players won't be able to obtain one until you reach cap.
  7. Alex Moorhouse-Reaume

Yeah, I was wondering that because of cave exploration movement perks that the explorer path gets. But if you're already level cap and past those activities I guess it wouldn't matter.
  8. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

As to not cause everyone to reel back in horror again, I won't write up a post about it again because my very first post was nearly 2000 words about how I feel about flying mounts. I later made a thread that touched upon it as well, so in case you're interested, here are the threads:

World Design
    Flying Mount confirmation (My post)

In short: They worry me. They have to be extremely careful with their implementation as to not be counter-productive to the other systems they claim to have in place. If not, they've performed a magnificent bait-and-switch on me. One that I won't forget. As a word of warning for those afraid of these things, my next thread will be touching on a topic close to "why" this is.
    Guttri and Alex Moorhouse-Reaume like this.
  9. Lyas Tyrell

Lyas Tyrell Cupcake-About-Town

Flying mounts are in. But only available at level cap.

Frankly in a world like Wildstar, I say why not. I can't wait to buy a wicked flying motorcycle to ride around on.
  10. Alex Moorhouse-Reaume

Thanks for posting!
  11. Scrapple

Scrapple Cupcake

Well I support them but make them available at lvl cap that way we have to go through the content on the ground first.
    Alex Moorhouse-Reaume likes this.
  12. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

I am going to be interested to see how flying mount implementation interacts with path content at level cap.

The only thing that I hope Carbine does with flying mounts is to make them prohibitively expensive. Every good MMO needs money sinks in order to keep the game's economy healthy however I think it would be nice if flying mounts were 1. Rare 2. A hard-won accomplishment 3. Expensive to the point of keeping ground-pounding relevant.

Flying mounts in WoW for example were always pretty trivial to get, however to get one that actually got anywhere in a reasonable amount of time it took quite a lot of time and money, which was good. Now the base flying speed has been raised and it takes little to no effort to zip around at near max speed and it really does not feel like an accomplishment, more like a given.

I voted "yes" because I feel that if any company can do this right it's Carbine but there are a lot of ways to mess this up.
  13. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

Fine, I was promising myself to not reply more to the thread because it's a topic all too dear to me but I just wanted to add my own observations from the other threads on the topic: Generally, those supporting flying mounts do so out of the sheer amount of convenience it offers. Those against it generally feel it shrinks the world and/or trivializes it. That's what I gathered from all the discussions so far. You have no idea how many statements I feel that I already have ready-made rebuttals for but it's best I step out of the conversation. :D Do carry on though! I'll just make sure no one shoots someone. >_>
  14. Alex Moorhouse-Reaume

I think the distinction you made is pretty much how I feel about it. Sure flying mounts are convenient, but convenience doesn't always = fun. I also think I aesthetically prefer ground mounts, though I don't know how Carbine will design them yet!
  15. Lyas Tyrell

Lyas Tyrell Cupcake-About-Town

This.

Flying mounts aren't bad if used right and given out as a reward. You shouldn't be able to hit 50, and then walk up to a vendor with 10 bucks in your pocket and bang, no more ground for you.

But if you go through a rough quest that leaves you absolutely bloody, spend piles of your hard earned cash (Nexusbucks I guess) and craft craft craft. Then your reward can certainly be a flying mount. Making it VERY hard to get makes it something incredible to see.

You watch someone whiz by on a flying mount, and you know that it's super rare and super hard to get one. You'll be like "Dude that's awesome."

EDIT: Also I imagine there will probably be content in the sky for us to use flying mounts to get to somehow. Because it's Carbine, and they seem to think that everything should have a purpose.
    Jynetik likes this.
  16. wormed

wormed Cupcake

Flying mounts put the nail in the coffin to world PvP in WoW. Carbine will essentially kill the whole point of a PvP server with them.
    Cecko and Sevvy like this.
  17. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

I don't think this is true, if all WPvP means to you is killing the occasional player you come across or ganking then yeah it hurts that, but the real WPvP to me was always epic Tarren Mill/Southshore battles and grand scale moments like that and flying mounts won't do much to that other than get people into the fight quicker.
  18. Alex Moorhouse-Reaume

That is a good point! Some people say you could just have areas with "no fly zones" to encourage world PvP, but then nobody would go there!
    Malorak likes this.
  19. Mouseknuckle

Mouseknuckle Cupcake

This isn't quite true. I remember watching a video where one of the carbine guys(Pretty sure it was Mike D.) was saying that flying mounts was something you could only obtain after hitting level cap. Which means people still have to lug around.
  20. wormed

wormed Cupcake

You mean world PvP will be essentially killed at end game? Oh, well then, that's totally better! /sarcasm
    Sevvy likes this.