1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Since mounts have been confirmed for awhile, who here supports flying ones?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Alex Moorhouse-Reaume, Apr 2, 2013.

?

Would you support the implementation of flying mounts?

1. Yep!

46.6%
  2. No way!

53.4%
  1. Elrodeus

Elrodeus Cupcake

Okay that doesn't solve much but instead of telling you why I'll ask a question instead. When I as a player get that message, then mount up fly to the bottom, abandon my quest, start it again, then fly back up to turn it in and it still doesn't work, I then ask in chat, "Why isn't my path quest letting me turn it in?" Someone responds, "Because you're using your flying mount." I then ask, "Why can't I use my flying mount?"
    What would you respond?

Look I can take things out of context too.
    Don't worry I've given up on trying to hold a civil debate with you since you rather argue against half statements and start attacking me. I never even once claimed that we had the same tech as Wildstar.
  2. Vanor

Vanor Cupcake

I took nothing out of context. You made the statement that since we don't have those things now even though we have advanced tech, means that there's no reason why the game needs them.

Your statement was beyond illogical and firmly in the realm of silly rationalization.

I never once attacked you, only your statements. If you want to be involved in a debate, you should really be able to recognize the difference.
  3. Elrodeus

Elrodeus Cupcake

Alright, you got me, I'll bite again. What about this is "beyond illogical and firmly in the realm of silly rationalization"? I'm curious now.
  4. Vanor

Vanor Cupcake

So now you take stuff out of context yourself, like you blamed me for doing... Ok then lets go back to your first post, the one I was referring to. Here's the whole thing, just so you can't claim I'm taking it out of context...

You are clearly trying to equate our world with WS which is set who knows how many thousands of years into the future, with massive advances in tech, and use that as a reason why something shouldn't be included in the game. That the fact that we lack some sort of tech, that WS doesn't have to have that tech either. Despite the fact that they clearly already have that tech in the first place.

That is the part of your statement that is beyond illogical and firmly in the realm of silly rationalization, because you are trying to use this sorry excuse for logic as justification for not having flying mounts in the game, because you don't want them.
  5. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

I generally dislike Flying Mounts my self. They make the world look alot smaller. Just think about WoW and Mount Neverest in Kun'lai summit. If you go to the bottom of the mountain and look up, it looks like unconquerable majestic thing in the world, but god it would be pure win to finally find a path up to it.
    Then jump on your flying mount, and accend straight up, the mountain feels smaller and smaller as you go higher and when you get up there with flying mount, you dont feel any feeling of accomplishment. It is just simple matter of PoV, bird perspective just flattes everything out.

2nd reason I dislike flying mounts is that they remove the feeling of danger from PvP servers, and they make world PvP non existent as one can just fly up to safe altitude to wait for cooldowns to finish and friends to fly there if needed.

3rd reason I dislike flying mounts is that they make world feel less alive, as most people that fly around do not fly on floor level but far up in the air, where you dont notice them from normal point of view. With more people riding on their awesome mounts around you, the world generally feels more alive.

I understand that in scifi themed Wildstar it is a hard question should you implement flying mounts and such, especially as you are able to spacetravel at the same time. Of course Wildstar could just bring out something like gravitational card; The strong gravity makes it possible to land on the planet, even tho most landings are considerd close to crash landings and deemed as extremely dangerous endevour. The strong gravity also makes it impossible for people who land Nexus to break orbit for time being, no one knows if more energy dence materials exist in Nexux making it possible again to have spaceships accending to orbit in the future tho.

The persons who land on nexus are true pioneers and settlers, with no promise of ever comming back.

This is of course only my opinion, and I understand for HC gamers who care nothing about the game other than raiding flying mounts offer extreme amount of convenience.

My opinion of flying mounts is that if you weight the convenience vs. what the world and playerbase on total loses on having them in game, convenience loses.
  6. Elrodeus

Elrodeus Cupcake

And once again my response se which I already posted, to clarify my original statement.
  7. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> Please try to keep the discussion civil and on topic, thank you. </Mod Monocle>
  8. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

Why should you be able to fly your flying mount into a jump puzzle in the first place?

They also have several hundred ton plots of land permanently hovering over the planet, so anti-grav can't be too hard.
    Khalixo likes this.
  9. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

Yeah, indeed. Just that, there is always somekinda lore ways to make it so that you couldn't have a flying mount. "Wizard made it so that you cant fly." :p
  10. Elrodeus

Elrodeus Cupcake

That's a pretty good question. A better question is why bother putting a jump puzzle when you can just fly there. I mean I'm just using the mount as it was intended....to fly to places that were troublesome or impossible to reach on foot.
  11. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

But that's just the thing, it would be idiotic for them to build jump puzzles and then give you a tool that would allow you to trivialize them, so why assume that they would? Why assume that they're idiots? Why not instead assume that they are not complete idiots, and have therefore designed their flight mechanisms such that while you can fly around most places, some places are kept off limits (via a method considerably more tasteful than an invisible wall), completely preventing you from flying your mount onto the top of a jump puzzle in any way, shape, or form?

Can we seriously move on from the utterly nonsensical argument that flying mounts would inevitably have to be allowed to trivialize jump puzzles?
  12. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> I'm seeing some increasing amounts of hostility and I'd like the involved individuals to back off, thanks. </Mod Monocle>
  13. Narrack

Narrack Cupcake

Initially i thought flying mounts would be ok but having thought about it some more id rather not as movement so much fun in this game to begin with id rather there be short cuts through to places via jumping puzzles and the like so say you need to get over a mountain to the next area and the road there is the long way round but you could take the route with the dangerous ledges which could kill you or shave 10 mins off your journey.

and for longer distances id prefer it if people just used taxes to the nearest point.

My objection comes from the fact people always mount up just to go even short distances (like 10 feet) and that they do this cause its faster than running it even though its so short (infact i believe mount time on ground mounts should be longer so people use them as transport over distance and not cause their allergic to walking)
    so while i prefer them not to be there i could live with a long summoning time so people tend to only use them when the want to go from 1 zone to the next and not from one node to the next.
  14. Winzhi

Winzhi New Cupcake

I will never use my flying mount, unless I have to do it to complete a certain quest or get some item poop.

I am a hardcore raider, but I also like world pvp, so I will stay on the ground and fight anyone that shows. I only view flying mounts as a world PvP killer.
  15. Rile

Rile New Cupcake

The argument that flying mounts belittle the world and hinders potential World PvP is not a good one by any stretch of the imagination. The world of Wildstar will, regardless of whether or not they implement flying mounts, feel isolated and lonely because every other part of the game has been designed around phasing and instancing.

Housing, dungeons, raids, battlegrounds and warplots are all instanced.
    Most likely the end-game will be to sit around your instanced house waiting for queues to pop.
    It's what happens when you design an MMO entirely around convenience and not social aspects.
    Milamilou likes this.
  16. alan

alan Cupcake

Why is that not a good argument, because you THINK it doesn't, or those things just don't mater to you?

Agree, and flying mounts add to that, anything that makes it so you cannot see others, does this. And that Z axis is pretty big. Literally makes the world many times bigger, but that extra space is just useless un- interesting sky.
  17. Kynealdyr

Kynealdyr New Cupcake

Player controlled flying in an MMO introduces a way to skip content easily. So now the explorer no longer has to require any semblance of skill to complete the explorer quests - "just fly to the top of the mountain, unmount, and use item X, quest complete"

Flight introduces a way to lock players out of content until they have acquired the requisite ability needed - Case in point: Tempest Keep in WoW during BC where you needed flight, or 3 players (one of which was a warlock) to summon you in the case where you couldn't fly.) A potential solution to this that does not include flying is the need to piece together or in some way acquire a key or some form of attunement in order to access the content that you want restricted. If it's a money sink that you're looking for, sell the keys to players who are unwilling or unable to complete the content for the key/attunement after a period of time has passed to allow the better skilled players access first.

I am against flight for these reasons and have recommended alternatives.
  18. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

Think it this way.

when you are driving your car you dont open the window and pull a random conversation with the guy next to you.

You interact with people at your destination, but not during your travel time.

Give people reasons to do stuff outside instances and there will be oportunities for you to interact with them.

People will ignore anything that does not interest them, be it by foot,taxi,teleport,ground/flight mounts.
  19. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

Flight on WoW is Designed to skip content, it is a way for people to get at their desired destination FAST. since they already seen the content while leveling.

That's why flight is only avaliable at level Cap.
    so it dosent hurt explorers.

Even if it wasnt at level cap some simple coding could fix the explorer issue.

no one wants to take 30minutes to walk to their daily raid.
  20. Kynealdyr

Kynealdyr New Cupcake

Ok, so lets say you give players flight at 60. I roll an explorer and level using pvp content to 60, buy my flying mount, then power level my path xp to 30 bypassing all of the content because I flew there. Or - new expac comes out and I have flying already. What's to stop me from flying from quest point to quest point bypassing anything in between?

How about this using travel paths (flight paths), but with a twist? Pay 5 silver for the normal flight, or 25 silver for the 90% less travel time required flight? Once BC hit in wow, with or without flight, it still never took more than 8 minutes to get anywhere (unless you flew from stranglethorn to plaguelands, then it was your own damn fault).

So your argument is solely that you want to get somewhere quicker. You don't need flight for that. There are travel paths and ground mounts that will speed your travel along, while still keeping you engaged with the content in some form.
    Milamilou likes this.