1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Since mounts have been confirmed for awhile, who here supports flying ones?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Alex Moorhouse-Reaume, Apr 2, 2013.

?

Would you support the implementation of flying mounts?

1. Yep!

46.6%
  2. No way!

53.4%
  1. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

if you leveled a explorer to 60 trough pvp you are obviously not interested in exploring.

It is not impossible to code jumping puzzles to not reward people that uses mounts.

I dont care if Taxis are faster than flight, i rather have free form flight than use Taxis, i hate being stuck on Rails.
  2. Kynealdyr

Kynealdyr New Cupcake

Then use your own mount and control your travel. In order to keep you engaged in the game, free form flight is not a solution. Here's another argument: Setters no longer have reasons to build travel paths because people will no longer use the content the Settler path provides. Now Settlers have a harder time leveling their paths in future expansions because everyone is just going to free form fly past it. Yes, mount will cause the same issue, but players will be more likely to use the settler travel path than their own mount if it helps them avoid mobs between points A and B if they want safer travel between those points.
    Milamilou likes this.
  3. BonusStage

Settelers will still help people who are not at level cap, also flight paths might be faster than player flight.

Once a new expansion comes out just make the new zones a no-flight till you reach cap again, make a NPC shoot people who do not have a new pilot license down, problem solved.

Flight does not have to work in the same way as WoW did, there is a Huge thread on this locked here on these forums, every single point has been discussed to death, check it out, there are several interesting points and ideas from both sides

Games like CoH made flight Work very well, it not only works well but it enhances gameplay and content, it makes the game more interesting.

Here is the link if you are interested

http://www.wildstar-central.com/ind...e-flying-mount-thread.3317/page-47#post-87123
  4. alan

alan Cupcake

I also don't start conversations with people by typing /tell theirname. I communicate with words and not a chat window. Also I don't live in a war zone where people are trying to constantly kill each other or the wild life attacks you on sight. I don't pick flowers or dig for rocks ever, and really don't do quest that often. I live in a different world than a typical mmo.
    BonusStage likes this.
  5. BonusStage

ok funny guy.

still people interact at their destination, they dont stop to talk to you, they might gank you, but they can do that flying aswell.
    the mistake everyone here makes is that flight will be a copy&paste from world of warcraft and never look beyond that.
  6. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

No, flying mounts don't add to it. If the problem exists, it exists, flying mounts would not make it worse. If people only want to be in towns and instances, then it doesn't really matter whether they can also fly, if they have no reason to be out and about in the world, then they won't be out and about in the world. People jogging from A to B do not add anything remotely more useful to the world than people flying from A to B.

The way to make the open world more vibrant has nothing whatsoever to do with travel options, it has to do with making sure that there is enough content in the world that people of all levels want to participate in, and enough incentive for players to engage in this activity OVER instances and other "cloistered" content. If they fail to do that, flying mounts are the least of their problems.

Again, let's be clear, that would be stupid.

If we all feel safe in assuming that the fine people are Carbine are not drooling imbiciles, and I feel safe in making that assumption for myself, then the idea of "flying to the top of a jumping puzzle" is a non-issue, because if they want to prevent that, there are any number of ways they could do just that, while still allowing free flight through most other areas of the game. Please let's stop bringing that "point" up.

Personally, I advocate a system in which you need to unlock airspace, similar to viewpoints in Assassin's Creed. I think it'd be great to unlock flight well before cap, but at first you can only fly in a very tiny area. to spread your flight range you'd have to destroy anti-aircraft towers of some sort scattered across the world, disabling each of which would allow you permanent access to the surrounding area, unlocking more and more of the map until all of it would be open for flight (except those areas like jumping puzzles that should never allow flight).

Now that you mention it, one thing I wouldn't mind is a consumable after burner. I hate the idea of "fuel," of requiring a resource to fly at all, but I wouldn't mind paying for "nitrous" of some kind. Like the default travel speed of a flying mount would be fairly modest, only 150% to 200% of jogging speed, something noticeably faster but not crazy and well slower than the peak grounded mounts, but there would be some "after burner" button that you could apply to move at twice that speed or even faster, but activating this mode would cost money. It might even require you to fly through specific rings or something to restrict when and where it would be an option, but if you wanted to go really fast, that would be the method, while base level flight is more about casual convenience.

Yeah, and Settlers really shouldn't need to build travel paths, so that's a non-issue.
    BonusStage likes this.
  7. Arrclyde

Arrclyde New Cupcake

I don't see the problem with flying mounts in open-PvP. Really i don't. How can flying mounts be that bad when you can get away anytime from anywhere by simply teleport to your home (dev speak housing).

In Classic WoW it has been bg-PvP that destroyed Open-PvP. In Bc it had to be those flying mounts taht did that, no doubt about it and in WotLk it had to be the godawful balance.....

You want to know what i think?
    Open PvP happens when it is actually fun and rewarding doing that, and i don't mean Epics for every enemy. When Open-PvP is fun and actually means something to the environment (say u can destroy/capture enemies Outposts) it will happen. When it is not funny it won't. Being hopelessly outnumbered on one side is not fun, neither is to be griefed by some over geared highlevel jerks their only purpose is to annoy as much people as possible. And stop "pretending" that lowie ganking is good for encouraging Open-PvP.... it is not. It is just about to show of who can be the biggest di** out there. And onestly after almost a decade of Chasing those guys to bring them down to the ground i am tired of doing it.
    Honestly: if you try to force people to Open-PvP it will not be working, so stop try to convince developers to think forcing people is a good idea. It is clearly not.

Long story short:
    flying mounts will only have a minor effect on open PvP. And every Griefplayer that rages over people can get away is a good one in my humble opinion (which will most probably happen by teleport 98% of the times happening).
  8. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

Daily reminder that momentum, weight and inertia are Awesome, and that Soaring Through the Air is dramatically more satisfying than floating in the air.

Just incase you had forgotten that WoW mount controls were rubbish and can be improved on.
    BonusStage likes this.
  9. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

Aerobatics can be fun, sure, but more complicated to model and therefore takes longer to implement.
  10. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

They do for me atleast, even if I just see a person riding past me. I can check fast like oh cool mount, then whisper the person where you got that from. Of course I know where most mounts come from, was just example.
    Look at your average city, most of the people on the streets of the city aren't doing anything, sure there are some street artists here and there, and people sitting down in cafeterias and so on. But most people you see on the streets are going from A to B. From work to home, from home to gym, from friend's place to home and so on.

This of course has alot to do with your argument "If people have no reason to go out, they do not go out" wich is completelly true and opened my eyes to the matter little more. Indeed flying mounts might not be so bad idea after all if there truly would be something to do on the ground. This would be the perfect scenario, alot of things to do on ground, but you can travel point A to B with flying mount.

Looking my past experiences tho, everything gets old at some point. You are done with quests, reps, dailys and all that, and you absolutelly have no reason for transportation other than going from City to Raid on a mount.

What I am saying that in real life city, most people do nothing on the streets other than move from point A to B, remove those people from the picture and you ask your self has zombie apocalypse started, where is everyone as all you are left with is that street artists and the caffeine addicts. ;-)

That actually sounds like cool idea to me, it would make you explore the map more before getting flying mounts up. Doing that 4th time on alt might get wee bit boring tho, so maybe it should be account bound or so.

Seasons 6 and 7 in WoW have been so far the most balanced ones, 8 would had been excelent without Shadowmourne, Deathbringer's Will, Solace of the Defeated. Season 6 start had problems with RMP being very OP but it got nerfed in two weeks. Some people did sit whole rest of the season 6 on their ratings tho.

Also about forcing people to PvP. Just a fast counter, did someone force you to PvP server? You get player versus player in PvP server and you are somehow annoyed of this? Ever thought you might have rolled wrong server?

I get ganked alot when leveling, I call some friends of mine that come and gank those guys, that guy calls his friends and within 30 minutes we have had 20vs20 open world PvP around Halfhillmarket in WoW. Few times have had the top PvP guilds from both factions joining the World PvP and that has been alot of fun. "THIS IS OUR HALFHILL MARKET YOU STINKING HORDE SCUM!" :p

Only problem is that when enemy team loses an encounter they all wait for us to move alittle and respawn, fly up as team, wait all cooldowns ready and then try to gank us. That just makes open world PvP in to "Who can burst hardest and fastest" not long games with corpse running and feeling of war.

If you roll PvP server, and you get ganked you had it comming. There was option of rolling PvE server.
  11. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

Well, if it helps they could populate the world with NPCs that look like players and whiz around on their bikes ignoring you.;)

Yeah, that's why the devs need to put effort into keeping the open world vibrant. Anet has done with with GW2, not all zones are as lively as others, but at least half the zones have significant open world content that attracts attention, and they seem to be making an effort with their "Living World" project to draw players to new areas every couple months. The winter events cycle, for example, focused players in Wayfarer's Foothills and Diessa Plateau, the latter an area that I otherwise had almost never been in, only passing through it once to get world completion.

The most vital thing Carbine can do is make sure that there's auto-scaling downwards, so that level 50 players can run content in level 25 zones as if they were level 25, and get level 50 rewards for their efforts so that they are not just segregated to one or two high end zones if they don't want to be wasting their time.

Maybe. It depends on how difficult/annoying it is. In GW2 you have to unlock waypoints for teleportation in a similar manner (although in this case you just need to jog past them), and it can be a bit annoying to not be able to teleport to the same location with one character that you'd unlocked with another, but it's not that bad. Ideally you wouldn't have to wait until you actually have a mount to start unlocking towers, so if you got your first flying mount at, say, level 30, and there are maybe 5 zones between level 1 and 30, then you'd have passed these towers as you were leveling, and you could choose to "cap" them as you went, not much out of your way. Then when you do get your mount you have access to all the places you've been so far, and can work on advancing into the places you haven't.
  12. Arrclyde

Arrclyde New Cupcake

@Infamouz:
    I knew exactly what i was doing when rolling on a PvP-Server. And i never had top gear since Arena-Deathmatch-miniminigaming wasn't for me, but i always have been the friend you described that came when Help was needed. And you can be sure i was seriously kicking a** when i got there to show those Horde gankers where they belong (hit the dirt!!!). But over time things have changed: Gankers didn't just lost interest in killing critters from up above (a level 20 compared to a level 85 full epic is not more than a critter) in a excessivly bad way. At the same time i saw more and more people quitting instead of trying not to be a critter. And i don't blame them.

PvP can happen everywhere and at any given time. But butchering lowlevel chars with a maxed out full epicequipped Char is nothing but utter bull. That is no PvP because if a Player goes against a player means those players can act. Lowlevelganking takes out the other player and the vs at the same time. It is basic ly jus a P-Server without the vP. Look there have to Consequences to every step u are doing. There has to be a risk. Lowlevel ganking in past games have neither one of that.

I personally have no problem with dirty open PvP...... Risk and danger around every corner. But for EVERYONE, at ANY given time. Even for those griefers. Especially for them, cause they are up to slauther young people (virtually). So Open-PvP can be great fun and should be for everyone.... when implementation is actually good. A system like the mentioned mentory system would be good, scaling down in Level and stats would be great for me (better equip has better stats even when scaled down). An bounty automatically placed on griefers who kill low level players would be also great. But being a dick and have nothing to fear because all the "normal" highlevel people have sh*t lot to do in game and can't come to the rescue, and griefer has nothing to fear.... i think i really might roll on a PvE-Server. Just for being less pissed off.

And that "Forcing someone to PvP" you got me wrong on that. Basically i am much more a PvP-Player and i am all with you that on a open world with open PvP you should get everybody at any time into a fight. That is a fact. where i disagree with ist that stupid rubbish you can read by people (who are mostly against flying mounts too) claiming the RIGHT to keep those people there to murder them over and over and over again, not giving them the chance to get away but to log out. And that has NOTHING to do with PvP, especially when those Douchebags write something like "how can that be that they can get away!!! it is my right to force my will on them and they have no rights of having fun in this game" (yes they normaly use some cheap excuse and don't say this directly). And that is plain BS.

Long story short:
    Open-Pvp? i am all with that, with all its risks and consequences. But for ERVERYONE. Especially for those who like to pick on the weak. If it is a "free for all d***heads" i just shut up and walk on, heading to pve-servers. Griefplayers tend to kill realm populations much faster then anyone could turn the wheel around for the better.

By the way: that would be another topic. But as a countermechanic to griefers i say: flying mounts? Hell yes!
    And another subject i hope they thought about open PvP-rules: Pathmissions. Would like to know the <REDACTED>storm coming up when PvP-heros, which only pick weaker, are the cause for many bad forum posts. ;-)
  13. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

@Arrclyde nice post.

I would like to continue discussion with wall of text too, but I think I can say it in few words what I need to say.

The behaviour you are talking about is called "Griefing" and in most games this is not sanctioned. I think even Blizzard has the standpoint that "excessice griefing" is punishable within their games. I understand it can get old very fast to get ganked over and over again but for me personally it has never been a problem.

I have leveled up, got killed, ganked sometimes even griefed here and there but finally I have reached level cap my self and got the awesome gear to go pay back with. I have been doing outdoor PvP always against lvl 90 enemy players, and if I see low level enemy player around me I kill them once always. I think I have been griefing once in the game, some poor tauren in STV in TBC. :p

To have the faction vs. faction feeling, every now and then one has to die in horrible bloody way so he can remember who he hates. :p

I think it also comes to what kinda friends you have in the game. I have plenty of HC raiders as my friends, but alot of PvP player who NEVER turn down a opportunity to slay horde.

"Daniel, Hunter, Spriest, Rogue ganking Halfhill"

"Be there in minute"

And lil later, there is biggest alliance PvP guild ganking them in return.

And little after that, there is the biggest horde PvP guild trying to gank us.[​IMG]

But guess it come to who you know and what kinda social network you have within the game. If you only PvE it is hard to know any good PvP players and have them as friends.
    Chomag likes this.
  14. Khalixo

Khalixo New Cupcake

I could go either way on this topic. If they have viable methods of transportation to get to wanted areas I would probably be ok with no flying mounts. If there is no key transportation to important areas such as raids I would definitely would want flying mounts. Though it is nice to see the view from a flying perspective in certain areas. I could see the issues it could cause for paths though.
  15. Hellspawnx

Hellspawnx Cupcake

I dont want flying mounts in wildstar BUT... I love flying mounts. Sounds strange right???

Well as much as I love flying mounts I love jumping puzzles more. I think if they introduce flying mounts it will kill jumping puzzles and content development for jumping puzzles would cease.

Unless they put jumping puzzles in area that flying mounts do not have access too. well then I say bring on the flying mounts.