1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Site Registrations: Upgraded Spam/Bot Protection

Discussion in 'Updates & Upgrades' started by Zap-Robo, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

All,

It has come to our attention that there were a LARGE number of bots/spam accounts signing up successfully to WSC yesterday/today and as such we've made some upgrades to the

Specifically, we now subscribe (automatically) to StopForumSpam.com which will check every new registration against a known list of IP's, usernames and email addresses that spambots/spammers use. We are already seeing attempts by spammers to sign up being stopped!

However, this does not stop those who signed up prior to the change. As such (using some new tools) we have undertook a review of all accounts and deleted all accounts with spam URL's in their Signatures or in Profiles.

Additionally, after a quick manual check by hand with StopForumSpam almost all profiles from approximately the last two days have been banned. If your account has been banned and you feel it was genuine, please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page to appeal the ban. If we have no appeals in approx. 14 days we will delete the banned accounts.

Should your account have been deleted after this time (or due to a strange URL) you are of course more than welcome to sign back up! (where you will be subject to the StopForumSpam.com checking process)

I hope you understand why these steps have been taken, even if you took a little friendly fire!

My best, as always,

ZR
    Fate Flyer and SiegaPlays like this.
  2. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Fried spam is always best. About the only way I can take it.
  3. Thee

Thee Cupcake

Oh Zap-Robo, I see you are having the same issues over here.

I've been thinking about messures to combat spam for some time, but always delayed taking action as there really was not any. Well, times change...