1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

"Skill trees", "Skill Points", "Stat allocation", etc, nowhere to be found?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Xuphor, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Xuphor

Xuphor New Cupcake

This really worries me. I can't seem to find anything at all about Skill point allocation on skill trees, allocating stat points, or anything of that nature to differentiate your stats from anyone else of the same class.

Is there anything like that, or not?
    Monarc likes this.
  2. Bockses

Bockses New Cupcake

From what I've seen your stats are allocated through the chips you put in your gear rather than being distributed at level up. As for skill trees (correct me if I'm wrong) there are none but you buy skills from trainers and unlock them through achievements and possibly milestones
    Kataryna likes this.
  3. Xuphor

Xuphor New Cupcake

How exactly are those chips obtained? Rare dungeon drop, or do you get like 1 each level?
  4. salazar

salazar Cupcake-About-Town

Quests,drops and crafting. You will be able to extract them from items aswell. Well unless the chip is locked.
  5. Xuphor

Xuphor New Cupcake

Still, that seems like a pretty weak system for it. It sounds very similar to SWTOR's "modification" system, which did not work well.

Also,
    Doesn't literally every single MMORPG ever made have that? That's not special in any way, if I'm understanding you right.
  6. salazar

salazar Cupcake-About-Town

I know extremely little about SWTOR, so i dont know how it is similar or why it didn't work.

There is nothing new or innovative about how you get your skills. You buy skills from vendors, gain them from paths, milestones and maybe items.
    You then choose the skills you wanna use for your limited action bar.
  7. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

The issue is being cofused here I feel.

Gear has some stats 'baked' into it which can never be changed so you know if its a tank piece or a dps piece or w/e but it will also have 'chips' which can be removed or replaced (i.e if you're at hit cap you can take the hit chip out and put in more crit chance etc) like a combo of gemming and reforging.
    Not entirely dissimilar from SWTOR but not completely the same; not all stats are tied to chips and you can't just put any chip into any piece I don't have the info on hand but I believe it's tied to the power of the chip you can't put a level 50 purple chip in a level 20 blue for example.
    EDIT; From what I can tell there's also like a 'clicky trinket' sort of deal on some gear that gives you an activated ability that's not tied to class. Maybe.

You buy class abilities from trainers like a normal mmo. Right now the talent system is more akin to a perk system which is unlocked through having the requisite amount of stats on your gear (i.e you need x str to unlock str perk one). If I remember rightly this system is being heavily iterated on as they didn't like how it was playing out.

There is also a Limited action slot (LAS) system which means you can't have all you class spells on your bars at once so you have to swap out sets to meet the needs of a certain fight (tank heals, raid heals, single target, aoe, etc).
    Although I doubt this will be as revolutionary as people are making out there's still going to be one optimal single target dps LAS per class imo for example.
    Rumze likes this.
  8. Furor Tuetonicus

Furor Tuetonicus Cupcake-About-Town

What is slightly different Xuphor, is the milestones if I'm understanding the system correctly.

As an example: through leveling and gear you reach 100 strength on your warrior. Once this milestone is reached you are given a new skill/talent/ability/etc. These new skills/etc are available from every stat line available to you as a warrior, so that if you have 100 STR(dps) and 100 Tech(tanking), you have skills/etc from both of those stat lines, allowing you to hybridize your character through stat chip choices, or to focus on only one line.

If my understanding the system well, it seems like a new and slightly different take on an old trope, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

Edit! Inv1cted beat me to it. But I wanted to bring up the discussion of baked in stats on weaponry. From my understanding, the immutable stats on weapons will be only "weapon power" which is in effect the base numbers for damage and healing. How far off am I?
    Kataryna likes this.
  9. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

Milestones replace 'Tree's' and your gear is what defines this. The biggest thing differentiating the same class other then this is your path.
  10. Airhammer

Airhammer Cupcake

All the interviews with Gaffney show that hes big on people making choices. I'm sure there will be some sort of semi permanent stat/skill allotment. Just having to swap gear to move everything doesn't really seem to be their style.

But I could be wrong. Have to wait till its posted on the website.
  11. Xuphor

Xuphor New Cupcake

I really hope your right, because everything that's been said so far is nothing but fancy gear swapping. That's not good at all imo.
  12. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Mayby they changed it, but from the old info i know it's like this:

Skill Tree = MileStone system (having a certain amount of stats can give you some extra effect)
    For example:
    Having 100 Str gives you 5% dmg bonus to normal attacks
    Having 100 Tech gives you a 10% chance when you fall below 25% health to grant you a shield

Allocating stat point: (Attribute points)
    You get base stats on gear
    You begin with base stats (no game let's you begin with 0 stats ;))
    You can change some stats (a small part) trough the chip system (more about it below)
    You get stats point (per X level) that you can put in a stat of your licking Edit: Not anymore, thanks Ellianar for the heads up
    [​IMG]

Ability points:
    You probably get some spells to begin with, but then you get ability points (x per level).
    With these ability points you can buy skills from a computer.
    Example:
    The computer got 55 spells
    But at max level you'll only have enough points to buy 40 spells for your spell book.
    Then you can only have 7 spells on your action bar in combat.

Seeing as you have 2 builds (dps + tank/heal) You'll atleast have 2 ability bars (you can only change the bars out of combat). Most people will have more then that though.

Circuit Board Crafting:
    Just a picture to make it more clear:
    [​IMG]

As you can see you got 3 different ''chips'' in this picture already:
    1. Power Amp Chip
    2. Attribute Chip
    3. Ability Chip

The Power Amp chip = i have no idea yet :p may just give you plain power or may do more
    The Attribute Chip = Most lickely will give you some bonus stats, so you can have +5 Str or +5 Tech, depending what you want/need.
    Ability Chip = Gives you some sort of passive/procc effect that differs with each chip.

Here you can see 5 different Attribute Chips:
    [​IMG]

Possible other ''extra's'':
    WildStar also has proffesions so you'll never know if they have some sort of passive/active ability like in WoW.

Hope this clarifies some things for you, also sorry if i made a mistake somewhere. Mayby they changed things! So don't pin me on this one.
    Mudfin, Ariames, Miatog and 2 others like this.
  13. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

you have a tier based system in which you put points,can't find the video.Anyway,Gaffney says in that video that it's possible it will be a tree at launch,just for visual help,they are still playing with it.
  14. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

I have a terrible feeling that the difference in "spec" and role is based on the LAS that you use and your gearing. If this is the case this is basically super lazy game design at it's finest. I truly hope that Carbine is better than that.
  15. Teehk

Teehk Cupcake-About-Town

Please be a Talent Tree, i love the system and making your character stand out with it
    Sawpaw likes this.
  16. Ellianar

Ellianar Cupcake-About-Town

This is no longer true, they removed the ability to allocate stat point in CBT2, the only way to unlock milestones is now through stuff only !
  17. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

Yes, standing out by being told you spent your points wrong and you have to fix it it you want to raid...Talent systems are more fun in single players IMO, people make it suck. That's why I'm in favor of what WoW has done, it's the first time in WoW I felt like I actually had real options. I'm quite glad that Wildstar is avoiding WoW's old talent system.

Extatica, thank you very much for all this info, it's a great help.

Sounds alright, means you'll get most of that from leveling and gearing up. If it's done right we might see some options on builds...but I'm fully expecting cookie cutters to come out in a couple months of launch, once the number crunchers have had a chance to see real mechanics and figure how things work.

Well if Ellianar is right, then I'm glad the points per level is gone...because it's doubtful that's going to offer real options.

Reminds me of GW1&2.

You can't max out? Don't...like that...I have some OCD tendencies (as my massive mount, pet, and achievement collection will tell you) so that's going to always bother me...something I'll just have to deal with it.

Looks like just another version of gemming, so it's sound!

I hope not, the prof bonuses were something I was never comfortable with in WoW and I hope they don't do that here.

It does! Thank you so much for this post!
  18. Teehk

Teehk Cupcake-About-Town

Im thinking more in the aspect of PVP the old talent system was amazing you could alter the way of playing with different abilities and hybrid specs :inlove:
  19. Ellianar

Ellianar Cupcake-About-Town

I agree with talents trees, they were just ridiculous at some points, to optimize everybody had to have the same tree, the exact same, when a ustomization tool become uniformed it is time to let it go!

on another topic

HOW DARE YOU QUESTION ME!!!!! :D

"Attribute Spending has been removed. While we do want to retain the design of allowing players to customize their stats, we think having two systems (Attribute spending and gear modification) that accomplish the same end-result was redundant."

Quoted from the M31 patchnote :D
  20. Cartographer

Cartographer Cupcake-About-Town

Where have Carbine said you can't max out abilities?
    I thought one of the racial differentials was going to be some abilities being cheaper so you'd potentially have access to them earlier depending on your race, but by top level everything was open to everybody.