1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Small races

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Cazargar, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Rene

Rene New Cupcake

A lot of people, in my opinion, chose the Horde because the Horde are the "bad guys", I mean bad as in good, I mean they don't know any better. They see orcs and all that barbaric aesthetics and undeads on top of that and think "hell yeah, I wanna be a baddie". In Wildstar the Dominion are presented as the "bad guys", and delightfully charismatic bad guys I must say. So I think some of the Hordies are going to pick Dominion simply because they think they are villains.

I'm definitely going to play as an Exile.
    Nesphito likes this.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

hahahaha why did i always do the same thing on my main (Tauren druid) :D
    As you can see i just pointed out 2 things:
    1. Don't you go compare WS with WoW
    2. It all depends on how you look at it, and from what point of view. I just used the overall history of WoW and both sides have an equal amount of ''matches'' with each races/factions.

Also the lack of your Mechari is alliance description makes it all the more likely they are more horde like then alliance :p
    :up:

On topic:
    Small races just own! Being small and bringing down big foes is like playing David vs Goliath ;)
    Rene likes this.
  3. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

I positively love tiny races, most especially when the weapons are scaled to the largest race in the game. (Looking at you, TERA.)

The dissonance between the size of the equipment and the size of the wielder, plus the inherent "cute" and/or "funny" factor of a tiny race being able to defeat something many, many, many times their own size is what makes me play the "tiny" race each and every single time.
  4. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

Warcraft Goblins suck. They can't hold a candle to Warhammer Goblins. Even mentioning anything post-Wrath should result in a forum warning.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  5. Bomoo

Bomoo Cupcake

Personally I think the Exiles are more like the horde. The roles of the individual races in each faction might suggest the reverse, but I feel the character of each faction is closest to exiles/horde vs. alliance/dominion. What I mean is that one is a self-righteous hypocritical jerkass empire (though the dominion is more cartoonishly evil than hypocritical like the alliance), and the other is a band of misfits and refugees persecuted by the former (orcs fleeing alliance concentration camps teaming up with other refugees like the forsaken (scourge) and the tauren (centaurs)).

Here you may notice I'm ignoring that blizzard has disfigured the character of the horde in the more recent expansions to the point where the forsaken are basically the scourge, and the orcs are the fel horde from warcraft: orcs & humans. That's some great story arcing there, bliz; just go right back to the beginning because you can't develop your factions' characters in any direction that makes sense. I realize it would completely undermine core game dynamics, like world/bg pvp, if the two factions made peace like it seemed they were going to before the wrath gate attacks by a character nobody had ever heard of until the week of patch 3.0. Perhaps it would've taken more extensive rejiggering of the game to make the inter-faction peace arc work out, and definitely more effort than blizzard was perhaps willing to invest. But then I feel like they've always cared about storytelling in third or fourth place next to things like fun gameplay, art direction, setting up epic battles or dramatic scenes for the heck of it, etc. Gosh, sorry for going off topic on this wow ramble.
  6. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

Another <Chua-dacted> lover here, Love the small races, Was a dwarf in Wow, looking to be a small <REDACTED> Character in W*

I agree that it seems like the smaller races are always brainy, Crazy inventors. sometimes it fits some time it doesn't

Now I must go back to my lair, the experiments are waking up again... darn Exiles
    Chim and Domi Dayglow like this.
  7. Winzhi

Winzhi New Cupcake

Again and again the same old ''baby like'' characters in mmo's, why?

I hate it when I'm flying around on my dragon casting spells at monsters and I see a unrealistic race below me. Just ruins the immersion of the game for me.
  8. Chim

Chim Cupcake-About-Town

I like small races when they look like Gremlins - badass, not funny and cute. ;)
    Trigger and MrDreadful like this.
  9. Riuuki

Riuuki Cupcake

Chua "Gizmo" will hunt you down and enslave you.
  10. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

I'm already scared! :eek:
    iyzn likes this.
  11. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Small races: punt them or eat them.

I have a neutral position on them. However, I naturally gravitate towards taller races (ogres, trolls, sarnaks, and barbarians in EQ/EQ2 and orcs, trolls, tauren, and draenei in WoW) but not for their height, interestingly enough. I'm just drawn to the more monstrous races. :p
  12. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

I don't mind small races. I like them, conceptually. It's rare to find any race in MMOs that's distinguished by their intellect, and when there is one, that's usually one of the smaller races. My only problem is when they're implemented poorly (gnomes in WoW are basically hydrocephalic infants)or used exclusively as comic relief (undermines the whole "superior intellect" thing).

Given how handy it is to be small (particularly in sternguard-style ranged DPS/healing roles)in PvP, that's an added incentive. My main is looking like less and less of a toss-up between Cassian and Draken and more like Cassian and Chua.
  13. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

Like Metzen hasn't been ruining everything for everyone the whole time. Like he didn't completly destroy the Illidari and everything else in TBC. Like vanilla wasn't only passable because it was mostly: self contained or throw backs to WC2 and mostly exploring areas that didn't get much attention in WC3.
  14. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

Point taken. Lore has been butchered like a fresh baby cow. I seriously hate Warcraft Goblins though. I mean Cockney and Goblins go together like peanut butter and jelly. Turning them Jersey just gets me steamed.
  15. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

Oh I get you man he's hurt us all.
  16. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Awe! Look at the cut, fluffy little Chua isn't-OhMyGosh it's built an Atomic-Caterpillar-Powered Disintegration Ray out of beer cans and an aurin! Run!
  17. Lucker McNoob

Lucker McNoob Cupcake

I don't like the "feel" of huge characters, which is sad because I often find those kind of races interesting. Granok, Tauren, Draenei feels so fresh compared to humans and "elf like" races. Too bad I can't stand playing them! :confused:

But I love them small races. It's hilarious to smash someone in pvp when you barely reach his/her knees.
  18. Agon

Agon Cupcake

The only problem i have with small races is when they give you an advantage in PvP. Asura for example had animations that were a lot harder to spot than those of the other races, making it harder to dodgeroll the important stuff.

Other than that i love small races and used to play Gnome, Goblin and Asura :X
  19. Cartographer

Cartographer Cupcake-About-Town

Just imagine if the Chua do actually have a combat transform into actual gremlins...
  20. MrDreadful

MrDreadful Creepy Cupcake

Chua should be able to roll up into one really big Voltron furball and stomp the enemy.