1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Smallest number of classes needed for a strong MMO launch?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by TarkeCat, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

I do have the link to it. It was one of the video's where the developer was talking while a warrior was being played. He went into detail on how he liked to play the warrior and how he could be useful to a group. The example he mentioned was he liked to be the one to focus on controlling the monsters; setting them up and putting them in position for the rest.

It has been a while, it wasn't a recent one.
    Sonntam likes this.
  2. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

You've got to have enough classes to give a varied gameplay experience, then those classes have got to be able to "bend" so players can tweak builds and try different strategies. On the other hand, you can't have too many classes or you're going to incur either homogenisation or wild amounts of class imbalance!
    Witless likes this.
  3. Cogburn

Cogburn Cupcake-About-Town

I think we need to get past classes. I prefer a system like Champions Online where you have a list of all the possible abilities in the game and have free reign to pick and choose to you hearts desire. The problem with it though is that min/maxers will find the perfect set of abilities and everyone who wants to take the game seriously will have that exact setup, causing large numbers of copy-pasta characters.

But hey, how is that different from a game with classes? :D
  4. Silvertaurus

Silvertaurus New Cupcake

TBH dont realy care how many classes there will be as long im able to find one fitting my style...
    But also like if there is enough space for less and more played classes... that makes plaing underdogs more fun =P
  5. Rundo

Rundo Cupcake

Whatever role you would like to play, Tank/Healer/Ranged DPS/Melee DPS, you have at least 2 classes to pick from. (3 tanks, 3 healers, 6 dps) (bit of speculation here, as not all 6 classes are revealed yet)

For me that seems to be a nice number to start an MMo with. This way they have plenty of room for new and fresh classes coming into the game when they release an expansion.
  6. Chim

Chim Cupcake-About-Town

We just need warrior and wizard. Warrior can fight by sword, knives, arrow etc and wizard... Uses spells, wow! :d
  7. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

There is no set answer.

Some games lack classes all together and have players develop an arsenal of skills as they choose so that they can "make" their own class. However, I'm unaware of any recent AAA MMO that has gone with a classless model.

For a trinity-based game with classes (like most MMOs), you'll need a tank, healer, and DPS role fulfilled by all of the classes within that MMO. That is the absolute bare bones. Technically this could be done all by one class but then you'd essentially have the system I described above. For that reason, to support trinity play in an MMO with classes, you need two classes. Both will be able to spec into a DPS while one can tank and the other can heal. Therefore, all necessary roles are fulfilled with two classes, but almost no MMO does this and for good reason: it's boring.

If an MMO is going to have classes, they need to be unique enough from their counterparts to warrant their existence. A simple way to do this is make classes specialize in more specific roles within a spec. For tanking, you have the single-target tank and then the AoE tank, a mitigation tank and an evasion tank. Healers have single-target and AoE healing along with burst healing and HoT healing. DPS specializations are more distinct, including melee's physical burst DPS or physical DoT DPS as well as hybrid (mix of physical and spell damage) burst DPS and hybrid DoT DPS. Ranged DPS include physical burst and DoT DPS as well as spellcaster burst and DoT DPS. These go into a lot of detail but are distinct templates that classes are designed around.

To have the most variety with the least amount of classes, you need 3-4. One is a melee class (tanking and DPS), a ranged physical class (DPS), a ranged caster class (DPS and possibly healing), and if you decide to create a more healing centric class, a hybrid class (mixed DPS, healing, and possibly tanking). However, this is again really simple, because there are multiple ways a class of a specific role could function. Warrior and rogue classes are both melee classes usually of the burst variety, but they're common in many MMOs despite both being melee DPS. Because these two classes play differently, it opens the door to more variety in the field of classes.

Personally, I like to have enough classes so that each class' functionality begins to overlap just a hair. In Wildstar's case, I think 6 is too few, but it all depends on what the 3rd melee class (if there will be one) will look like. Warriors and rogues both occupy the physical melee camp, so having another physical melee type would be far too excessive unless perhaps the class ends up being a monk-type class (still too many physical melee if there are 6 total classes though). The esper is the sole pure caster ranged revealed so far while the spellslinger is the only "hybrid" in that it has both caster/tech abilities as well as physical ranged capabilities. To balance out this combination of classes, we would need a melee hybrid (physical AND caster/tech fighter) and another pure ranged caster type. From all of the spoilers I've been hearing about the last two classes though, I'm afraid this might not happen.

Hopefully the supposed engineer class would end up being a melee hybrid (doubt it, most likely will be physical ranged) and the supposed medic class ends up as the pure ranged caster (more likely but then who's the tank among these classes?). For how Wildstar is doing it, they should add a 7th class and make it fill the melee hybrid or physical ranged roles, whichever one gets left out.

Rift pulled off a 4 class system amazingly well, but this was because each class had an incredible amount of customization within. Other MMOs with far less class customization require far more classes to compensate for the lack of variety. I'm afraid Wildstar will fall short in the classes area since from what I've seen and heard, class speccing is in essence stacking certain stat setups to unlock milestones, which to me is a very shallow, cookie-cutter class "speccing" template.
    TarkeCat likes this.
  8. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Who cares ?! Has all the popular classes: warrior, rogue, mage, hunter and priest. Anything else is just a clone of an already existing class with some minor differences.
  9. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

im not too worried about how many they launch with, though I am a "the more the better" kind of person. I like variety. If they are infusing that variety with different skill bar sets, then cool ..

ideally a game would come out that was more a build your own class type of thing. archeage seems like it might be going that way but I havent spent a ton of time looking at it yet.
    Witless and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  10. Woody

Woody New Cupcake

ofc you want more classes at launch. more classes = more alts. more reason to play the game longer.
    more diversity is good. flavor.
  11. Mierelle

Mierelle Cupcake-About-Town

not saying against it, but to start off with less gives more room for growth. too steep growth could as well lead to less motivation to keep/re-playing
  12. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

4.... What happen to Cleric?

Personally i Think an mmorpg should ship with no less than 8 unique classes, and though its lifetime should strive to have 10 classes.
  13. Mierelle

Clerics are often a mix of warror and mage, or just a mage with melee focus. It's like the basic colors; even if we see red, blue, green, yellow as the base colors, green is a mix of blue and yellow.
  14. Mellkor

Clerics Derive their power from a Divine source in contrast to a Arcane one which is affiliated with mages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_class_(Dungeons_&_Dragons)
  15. Mierelle

I'm talking about class-archetype: strength and durability character, the cunning and stelth character and the magic using character.

I know Clerics was one of the oribinal classes (which thiefs wasn't) but thay are a support archetype through combat or magic. The source of the magic doesn't change the fact that they are magic users.
    Clerics are to the class-archetype as support are to the holy trinity
  16. Mellkor

And i'm talking about the oldest definition of classes for which all Computer rpgs have since followed.
    What type of magic user makes all the difference btw! Would you associate a Priest, Shaman, or witch doctor as a mage?

It's only post wow people have forgotten its an archetype, In the ever quest era they were infarct a "Forth Pillar"
  17. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

And that's why i'm worried. I was a Ret Paladin in WoW and big fan of Shaman Enhancement, so you understand what kind of class i wanna play. And only the last one, the healer MAY BE what i'm looking for.
  18. Split_Light

Split_Light Cupcake

I think you really need at least 6 for a good MMO. I realize you only need about 4 to meet basic roles, but as an altaholic more is better. I don't like replaying the same class, so I need enough types to give me some variance in my many replays.
  19. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

a class that can conrtol enamies with its moves and make attack each other and themselves(of course i wares off) but that would be cool
  20. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

You should take a second look at stalker. While it does have stealth, it also has missiles and proximity mines. Also, from what I can tell there's no combo points for the class, so it won't play as closely to a rogue as it initially looks. It may be similar to an ENH shammy, being dual wield melee. I think stealth is going to act more as a buff than just an opener, because there's an "active" stealth as well.
    CaRaDaGaiTa likes this.